Booms & Stern-thruster add-ons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corvifortuna

Vessel Name
In Regatta Di Vita
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/ year1999
We are new owners of a 1999 Mainship 350 in the SF-Sacramento, CA Delta. We are considering two "improvments": a stern-thruster; and modifying our standard factory-installed radarmast by adding a "boom" so that we can use it as a hoist to lift bikes & kayaks onto top deck, and we would also like to add a "hinge" on the mast so that we can lower it a few feet to fit under more places (like covered berths, bridges, etc).

Suggestions about how & where to do this work?
Thanks, Paul

We are new owners of a 1999 Mainship 350 in the SF-Sacramento, CA Delta. We are considering two "improvments": a stern-thruster; and modifying our standard factory-installed radarmast by adding a "boom" so that we can use it as a hoist to lift bikes & kayaks onto top deck, and we would also like to add a "hinge" on the mast so that we can lower it a few feet to fit under more places (like covered berths, bridges, etc).

Suggestions about how & where to do this work?
Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the new to you Mainship. That is a very spacious boat. Being an east coast boater I'm not familiar with how many Deltas there are in Calif. We have several members boating this week that may have info for you after this week.

With out knowing how the radar mast was installed and was it intended for lifting, it is hard to advice. Two years ago we replaced our wood mast and boom in preparation for fish stabilizers. At the same time we increased the size/strength of the stanchion backing plates.

As for a stern thruster is the boat single or twin engine, and does the boat have a bow thrust? If I was going to install a stern thruster it would have to be able to be installed above the water line. No new holes below the water line. There was a resent discussion on a bow thruster that was installed above the water line.

Welcome to the forum. I can vouch for the Sideshift Stern Thruster as a solid option and something anyone with a few skills can do themselves. Do a search for my thread. As far as Stern or Bow, go with the stern thruster over a bow for single screw boats and a the Bow thruster for twins. PM me if you'd like any additional info, good luck!

General practice for single-propellered boats is to have the thruster, if any, at the bow.

img_92986_0_5e26b39779a75b6029c943740660145e.jpg

Skippers of double-propped boats brag they have no need for thrusters.

Being an east coast boater I'm not familiar with how many Deltas there are in Calif. QUOTE]

The Delta is part of the San Francisco estuary. It consists of several rivers converging (so it's quite unique) about 50 or so miles inland. There are many channels, and one must be conscious about water depths. Get out of the channel, and the depth will suddently change from deep to shallow. (Hey, check the charts.) Don't see anything unique about the environment regarding thrusters and dinghy hoists. But one needs to pay constant attention on one's channel position/water depth.

While this river/channel looks broad, boats with any draft need to keep in a narrow channel. (Wake here gives a clue where shallow waters start.)

232323232%7Ffp63586%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B49336nu0mrj

markpierce said:
General practice for single-propellered boats is to have the thruster, if any, at the bow.

I agree that bow thrusters are 'general practice'. With that said, My father has a Bow thruster/single and I have a Stern/single. I Drive both boats and from my personal experience, It doesn't matter one bit. it's a mind set (bow/stern) when driving more than anything. Bow thrusters are popular because that is what they put on Twins (rightly so) and it's what boat yards make the most cash on..... So they always push towards it. It also requires the most maintenance with junk (mussels etc...) continually getting lodged up inside the tunnel. Regardless, both options are great training wheels :)

I suspect the OP's boat has two propellers. If I was he, I'd practice handling the boat over a period of several months as is and assess whether a thruster is needed before spending the $$ on a thruster.

I suspect the OP's boat has two propellers. If I was he, I'd practice handling the boat over a period of several months as is and assess whether a thruster is needed before spending the $$ on a thruster.

I agree...a lot of twins are so uncontrollable with one engine out many owners opt for a thruster. It's because what's the sense of having twins if you can't get home on one because it handles so bad???:D:D:D (so...some twin owners are actually closet triple guys)...:eek:

I've said it before, so it must be worth repeating. All boats come with a stern thruster. It's called a combination of propeller and rudder, which can direct the thrust over quite a range of angles. It's all that's needed to get the stern to the dock. However, short of a bow thruster, once your bow gets away from the dock, it can be difficult in certain situations to get back to the dock, hence, the wonder of the bow thruster. If you already have a bow thruster, and simply have money to burn, and feel you are one item away from a full array of bells and whistles, then by all means add a stern thruster. In my mind, single or twin plays no part in the decision process. IMHO of course.

sternthruster & boom for Mainship 350

Thanks for all your replies. Our boat came with bowthruster factory-installed and single Yanmar. Lots of windage on a windy day in the Bay makes me want to install a sternthruster to avoid damaging other boats. Suggestions about brand, size, and a good installer? Svendsen's in Alameda?

The factory-installed-radarmast is apprx 5' tall x 6" diameter, raked astern, attached by apprx 8 stout screws at base (a mechanic tried to remove it, but it was tougher than expected). We are hoping to make the mast functional by installing the least expensive radar to our existing Lowrance HDS5, and perhaps adding a hinge at the base (now clearance above waterline is almost 18', and we hope to do the Great Loop), and also add a boom & perhaps more height to the mast, so that the boom can lift a dinghy onto the flybridge. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Paul & Linda

There's a Mainship owners group out there, and if some of the 350/390 owners might have done similar mods they could also advise...

FWIW, our kinda-sorta "thruster" was really inexpensive: a 50' length of 3/4" double braid, used as a spring line :)

-Chris

so that the boom can lift a dinghy onto the flybridge.

We started out wanting to haul a tiny plastic canoe or kayak , now its a dink.

Big difference in what is required to haul a paddle toy and say a 13ft Boston Whaler with a 25 HP 4 stroke Honda.

We installed a new 20 ft aluminum mast, 4” round thick wall, and boom, 3” round thick wall. However I would not want to lift more than about 300 lbs. We have a 12 ft Livingston with a 20 hp that is about the limit I feel comfortable with. The hieght is not the limitation its the plates and stanchions support.

If you are going to limit the lift to lightweight toys like kayaks and bikes and not a dinghy, consider using one of the motor lift hoists which sell for under $500. (I think). If you want to be able to lift a dinghy and motor, look into the cost comparison of a dinghy crane versus adding a mast and boom. My guess is the dinghy crane may be cheaper, is use specific and can be easily lowered.

Marty

>My guess is the dinghy crane may be cheaper, is use specific and can be easily lowered.<

A small crane can usually be very easily moved to a different location.

At the bow for a good sized anchor , at the stern to pull a larger outboard , or as a MOB hoist , as well as on the fly bridge as toy lift.

A small crane can usually be very easily moved to a different location.

At the bow for a good sized anchor , at the stern to pull a larger outboard , or as a MOB hoist , as well as on the fly bridge as toy lift.

Fred, can you post a link or photo of the crane you are recommending? I'm having a tough time picturing exactly what you mean. Thank you.

Fred, can you post a link or photo of the crane you are recommending? I'm having a tough time picturing exactly what you mean. Thank you. ________

I can post a photo of 2 styles after 1 Nov , return to FL.

I have a single engine and a hydraulic stern thruster installed by the previous owner. I had my doubts at first however I like the stern thruster a whole bunch. There are manoevers I can do that a bow thrusted boat can't do so imho it's a wash between bow vs stern. I approach situation differently than a bow thrusted boat because the tool I have is a syern thruster.
My opinion is you really don't need both. Either will do just fine once you learn your boat.

Why on earth would you want to waste the amount of money required to install a stern thruster. Instead why not pay someone to teach you to drive your own boat!

Some people don't have the boat driving skills some do because they just can't do it all the time to stay in practice or never will because of personal limitations...as one ages I can see thrusters becoming more important as I see reflexes dwindling in myself (single with no thrusters) and my older friends who all drive varying amounts.

So yes thrusters can add value to boating...plus there's another reason for some.

While I have always said a thruster is NOT NEEDED...I've never said it was a waste as it allow a capt to do things with a boat that can't be done EXACTLY the same way without one. No debate there as physics rule....no matter how experienced of a captain/driver is if they think you can drive a boat without thusters just like you can with them...then I have to say that they need more practice with thrusters.

Why on earth would you want to waste the amount of money required to install a stern thruster. Instead why not pay someone to teach you to drive your own boat!

Why? I'll give you an example. My Father is 68 years old and in great health, but my mother has battled diabetes since she was a small child. It's harder for her to get around as much anymore. So, rather than having her run up and down the side of their boat, my father uses his thruster to allow him to single handle, something he will be able to do well into his 70's. Unfortunately, we have a few posters on this site who continually question people that choose to buy a thruster, placing a blanket one size fits all comment about "learning to drive your boat". Sure, in an ideal world, we would all be 40 years old and boat captains.

Outboard motor lift. There are many on the market if you will Google Outboard motor lift. Here is the link to the Forespar line of outboard motor cranes:
Boat Nova Lift

Marty

Dinghy cranes: If you want to be able to lift the dinghy and motor, then the outboard crane is not enough. There are a number of dinghy cranes available in a number of weight sizes. One manufacturer is Nick Jackson:Pipe Davits

Marty

I've said it before, so it must be worth repeating. All boats come with a stern thruster. It's called a combination of propeller and rudder, which can direct the thrust over quite a range of angles. It's all that's needed to get the stern to the dock. However, short of a bow thruster, once your bow gets away from the dock, it can be difficult in certain situations to get back to the dock, hence, the wonder of the bow thruster. If you already have a bow thruster, and simply have money to burn, and feel you are one item away from a full array of bells and whistles, then by all means add a stern thruster. In my mind, single or twin plays no part in the decision process. IMHO of course.

Yes, it's worth repeating. Over and over, especially to anyone considering a stern thruster.

Now, I know this topic borders on religion, so I want to be careful to point out that nobody is saying you shouldn't add any old thruster you want. Like everything else, you need to decide if it's worth the extra money to YOU. Other people's opinions just that; opinions.

The main engine(s) will move the stern sideways any time you want.

A bow thruster is handy in wind or current because you have less control over the bow. Especially with a single screw. With twins you have more control of both the bow and the stern. Basically, the only other way to move the bow of a single screw boat without a thruster is to move the stern the opposite way. So it takes a little planning and practice to dock a single screw in the wind.

This is a "trawler" forum. Just about every commercial fishing boat around here is a single screw, no thruster. They are similar hull shapes to ours, and they bring their boats up alongside their gear, and into docks and slips, all day long and in all weather. So don't think it can't be done.

As I always repeat over and over...cause it's worth repeating...if you think you can make your boat do EXACTLY the same with and without a thruster...then you NEED more practice with the thruster. Simple physics prohibits you from doing EXACTLY the same maneuver.

Now...do you NEED thrusters at all???? No.
Does a bow thruster do things a stern thruster can't??? Yes
Does a stern thruster do things a bow thruster can't???? Yes

if you disagree...that's just dandy with me....

Maybe more practice with all the possible combinations will convince you.

As I always repeat over and over...cause it's worth repeating...if you think you can make your boat do EXACTLY the same with and without a thruster...then you NEED more practice with the thruster. Simple physics prohibits you from doing EXACTLY the same maneuver.

Now...do you NEED thrusters at all???? No.
Does a bow thruster do things a stern thruster can't??? Yes
Does a stern thruster do things a bow thruster can't???? Yes

if you disagree...that's just dandy with me....

Maybe more practice with all the possible combinations will convince you.

You are absolutely correct. A Stern thruster gives a single screw additional control very similar to what twins give you and more. I literally can drive my boat with my stern thruster through a marina. I can completely turn my boat on it's axis 360 degrees (try doing that with a rudder). Not to mention it gives me a huge advantage when backing up into a slip. All around, with the currents in Laconner, it makes my experience much more pleasant at a fraction of the cost of a bow thruster.

If you don't have the disposable finances, you certainly don't have to have a thruster, its for pleasure (hey, just like my boat) :) and in my parents case for 'boating longevity'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom