Codger2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Reasonable men can disagree. (I agree!)

So, no matter how much you "engine filter" your fuel, you are not picking up and filtering out the bottom of the tank where all the gunk resides. (Also agree...my pick up for the fuel polishing is at the bottom most corner of each tank (with ball valves) & when first installed I got quite a bit of gunk out of the tanks.

Now a couple of things can happen as Mr. Murphy and his law enters the engine room. You get caught out in rough seas and all the gunk gets stirred up and is sucked into your filters and they clog stopping your engine at the worst possible time. Or, you fill your tanks, stirring up the gunk and motor off into the sunset with the same filter clogging results. Your talking to a real "fair weather " sailor. It ain't going to happen here!

In fact, it is not necessary to polish all the fuel in the tank; as long as you are polishing the fuel at the bottom of the tank, the job is done. Again, I agree!

BTW, I also have the Algae-X system and to date have never had a clogged filter. (I think the magnets in the system are fantastic except I have no idea what they do if anything.) The claim has been that they alter the length of the molecules, resulting in a more even burn. Think wood that is equal in length & diameter burning in a fire place. (I can't really buy into that without considerably more data.) As I previously noted, the magnets were not even a consideration. It was the gallons/hr processed and the easy change filter that attracted me.
So, to conclude this conversation I can say we probably agree completely on this subject but because I now never leave the bay in questionable weather (like I did 25 years ago) the return fuel is clean enough for my boat's mission. (I admit to running the polisher once in awhile just to keep it operative.)