View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #94
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
One thing I do agree on is the poor estimate of most as to how much rode they have out. (Unless they have religiously marked off their rode and actually count the marks). Something I only fully realised myself when I installed a counter. I then found I was often way off as to how much I though I had out.
I can see why you place so much emphasis on short rode function, coming from where you used to be, where often you were anchoring in really deep water - the sort of depths I would just never attempt to anchor in and don't need to. Then for sure one needs a mixed rope/chain rode or the amount of chain, and therefore weight, could get ridiculous. However, in reality, most of us anchor in quite shallow water, (ie less than 30 metres, more often less than 12m, because you seek out a place that is), so all chain at at least 3 : 1 is fine under normal conditions...5 : 1 if in doubt, and 7 : 1 for a midnight screamer. It is in these conditions the newer anchors are at their best, mainly because of quick set on virtually any bottom.

By the way, I would really love to have your coment re the query I put on the XYZ anchor update thread...