Color Matching Perkins Engine paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
I will be painting my Perkins motors. I have called Perkins and they do NOT carry paint. I have read two different threads pertaining to Perkins blue. One said that Pontiac blue was a match, the other said Ford blue.
Can anyone clarify?

Thanks,

sam

I took my oil fill cap to an auto body shop for a match. Surprisingly, during the past 35 years there have been about 4 or 5 different Perkins blues, the latest being a lighter blue metallic

Thats a good idea, thats quick and easy.

Yes, any removable part can be used. Some oil caps aren't painted the same color as the engine, but the dipstick might be another choice. Or a bolt from a bracket.

I just repainted a cooling pump with Ford Blue and reinstalled it on my 1977 Perkins. It a very close, but not perfect, match. It's much better than the GM Blue I used previously on my stbd manifold and elbow. At least it's hidden from plain view and not very noticeable.

I just repainted a cooling pump with Ford Blue and reinstalled it on my 1977 Perkins. It a very close, but not perfect, match. It's much better than the GM Blue I used previously on my stbd manifold and elbow. At least it's hidden from plain view and not very noticeable.

Yea, it's not perfect, but it's close enough for me and easy to find at the local auto parts store :thumb:

1971 Perkins HT354 - Tremclad rust paint, tougher than any auto paint. I also use white Tremclad as bilge paint.

Attachments

• ENGINE 1.jpg
    ENGINE 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 402
boatpoker, what color Tremclad (Canadian branding for Rustoleum) did you use on the engine?

I don't have a can right now but I believe it was "medium blue". Don't know about "Rustoleum" but Tremclad cans have colour swatches on the lid. Of course you have to spell "colour" correctly :rolleyes:

Tremclad is about the cheapest paint you can buy in Canada and their red matches my Westerbeke generator perfectly too.

I don't have a can right now but I believe it was "medium blue". Don't know about "Rustoleum" but Tremclad cans have colour swatches on the lid. Of course you have to spell "colour" correctly :rolleyes:

Tremclad is about the cheapest paint you can buy in Canada and their red matches my Westerbeke generator perfectly too.

+1 :thumb:

I found Ford and GM blue the wrong shades. I took a original clamp with Perkins blue on it and had it color matched at General Paint. They mixed me up a quart for $10. # 10-2252

My Perkins 6.354 is red. Is there something wrong with it?

Tom

Perkins were either Blue or Red.

In 1976, when I bought my boat, they told us the North American Perkins were all blue and the English (European Perkins) were all red. How true is that. . . maybe someone else on the forum has the "rest of the story"?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My Perkins 6.354 is red. Is there something wrong with it?

Tom

Commonly referred to in trawlering and farming circles as Vermillion Disease (VD), it's often accompanied by leaking fluids, but seldom a fever/high temps. Cosmetic rusty blisters or warts may be visible, but are only skin-deep. Many operators with this infliction take pains to remove the offending blisters and fluids, then repaint the proper color.

Best of luck with your VD.

Back
Top Bottom