Are You Flexible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be a man and just say no! This exercise stuff is grossly overrated.
Atta boy, Al! Just look at a Humming Bird whos life span is very short and compare that to a Galapagos tortoise who may live 200 years and you get the message that exercise will really shorten your life. :blush:

I think I have the best of all worlds....I have an Admiral who doesn't mind doing mechanical stuff (changing impellers, helping with oil changes and filters, etc.) on the boat. She's 5'4" and fits into those tight places much easier than I can.

She did her first impeller change last summer. I showed her a photo of the genset impeller housing, told her how to do it, then stood by as she removed the bolts, pulled out the old impeller and installed the new one. I had zip tied it down to a diameter that it was easy to put in and coated it with dish soap, and as she tapped it into place the zip ties slid off.

Piece of cake for her. She did it the total job in about the same time as it would have taken me to get my big frame (6'1", 250#) into the area to do the job.

Ya gotta love a lady who doesn't mind getting her hands dirty!

Might be thread hijacking but I cannot stop from asking how many people have gotten "stuck" while working on their boats. I will admit to it!

Go Bigger!

Would it just be easier to buy a bigger boat? Or maybe hire a mechanic?

Be a man and just say no! This exercise stuff is grossly overrated.

img_179219_0_64a6d0a07bf499d95ce4453fb9419ce0.png

Don't I wish...

And yes a bigger boat with a full size engine room is on the agenda.

I've never gotten over the Great Harbour N-37 engine room, twin 56HP Yanmars, photo taken from starboard wall. Walk in, stand up.

Attachments

• engine room N-37 Great Harbor.jpg
    engine room N-37 Great Harbor.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 108
"Might be thread hijacking but I cannot stop from asking how many people have gotten "stuck" while working on their boats. I will admit to it!"

Got stuck behind and outside of my port perkins 6.354. Helps to appreciate why mechanics charge so much.

"Might be thread hijacking but I cannot stop from asking how many people have gotten "stuck" while working on their boats..
Years ago, my brother was in the ER of his 42' Californian, working on the outside of his port side 3208. This was in San Carlos, Mexico and it was hot! He got wedged in somehow and every time he tried to extricate himself something was digging into his thigh. He tried & tried but with no success and remained stuck for about 45 minutes. Actually, thinking that he might expire, he finally just said "THe Hell With It" and forced himself backwards, achieving his freedom and tearing up his thigh on a hose clamp tail. His wife of 50 years was snorkling around the boat at the time but being deaf from birth, she could not hear his calls for help. This resulted in hiring a full time Mexican captain and a weight loss of 20 lbs. :blush:

Bum, I commend you for at least trying Yoga. Started working out about 18 mos. ago and am glad I did. I would gladly do a few yoga classes but the last one I went to the instructor tried to turn it into a religious experience so I didn't go back.

Just one thing, no pictures of you in yoga pants....... please!

I've always heard Speedos referred to as a "banana hammock". No further explanation necessary.

Aka "Slugos".
Speedos were originally designed/made in Oz, we have special renaming rights.

I've always heard Speedos referred to as a "banana hammock". No further explanation necessary.
Thought about posting a pic of Sacha Baron Cohen in his "banana hammock" suit but thought better of it. I didn't even want to look at that pic again, figured you folks wouldn't want to either. :eek:

You're welcome.

Thought about posting a pic of Sacha Baron Cohen in his "banana hammock" suit but thought better of it. I didn't even want to look at that pic again, figured you folks wouldn't want to either. :eek:

You're welcome.

A no.

My wife badgered, cajoled and pleaded with me for two years about going to her hot yoga classes with her. We are both active and do some kind of exercise 5-6 times a week. I'm in my 60's and it seemed pointless to me to go to a class with a bunch of 20 something girls (except for the eye candy).

About nine months ago, we came to an agreement where we both got what we wanted and I went with her to the first class. It was a Hatha yoga class. It was hot, sweaty and somewhat difficult. However, after a few classes I was feeling more flexible so I kept it up. At about three months in I started to enjoy it and I have better balance and flexibility because of the classes.

Something strange has happened along the way. More and more men are showing up. Most of the men are 50+, up to about 80 years old. The last class I went to was 75% men, all but two of whom were older than 50. As we age, I think we lose balance and flexibility faster than we lose strength. Maybe that's why more old guys are starting to get into yoga.

I don't think you will think the first class is much fun, but hang in for a few more. It will get easier and you will feel better. Oh, and I don't wear yoga pants, just synthetic running shorts and a synthethic t shirt. Don't wear cotton, it holds too much sweat!
Lyle

I dont know how people stand the stench in those hot yoga rooms. Rotten sweat and stale farts. Enough to gag a maggot.

Made it through the class. Hot, sweaty and hard and this was an easy class for one hour.

I did about 80% of all the poses, as best as I could.

I'm going back because I want and need my flexibility back plus I could lose a few more pounds.

I'll see if I can get out of bed in the morning but right now I'm going to have a couple glasses of wine.

Getting old isn't for whimps.

;)

BTW, I'm going back Friday with my 23 yo, I'll see what happens then.

Last edited:
Flexable, Rum straight or with coke.

Attachments

• bum in yoga class.jpg
    bum in yoga class.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 86
If he keeps that up, he could be in better shape in a year than I.

I dont know how people stand the stench in those hot yoga rooms. Rotten sweat and stale farts. Enough to gag a maggot.
He's in Fla, is there anything other than Hot Yoga?

Being small of stature (5'5") is an advantage when working in the machinery spaces. I do not own a cell phone as I am not big on "chit chat." When I am alone on the boat I bring my wife's phone in case of an unforeseen circumstance. While my wife is not mechanically inclined she does supply the extra muscle when changing batteries or reinstalling a heat exchanger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom