Find My Boat - $5,000 REWARD!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how this subject tread has 'ruined' this or any other forum.??

Whether she buys a boat or not doesn't take away from the fact that these subject threads(s) have brought to the fore a lot of interesting boats that might never have been mentioned on a boating forum,....and this is a boating forum, isn't it??

Plus she has actively participated right along with the subject, and in many cases offered some reasonable objections to certain suggested vessels even within her limited knowledge of boats (first time buyer).

So if you are tired of reading about her 'adventure' and some of the MANY different suggestions that other contributors are likely having fun contributing (living her dream), then go off and read other threads and bring them back to life (up into the top ten).

There is a lot of good info in many of those older subject threads that deserves a refreshing.

...my 2 cents

Totally agree. Not sure what's wrong with being presented with a challenging trawler-related scavenger hunt. Those who are knowledgeable provide their assistance, and those who are not learn from the exchange. I started several threads with hypothetical boat-hunting scenarios just as a effort to learn what's important to those who have been there, done that.

It's really too bad if in fact a number of notable NAs have been previously scared off this site. I hope the recent thread regarding the Great Harbours are a sign of things to come. I also hope those NAs who still haunt these halls continue to contribute.

I have been watching this post and the more I read, the odder this post becomes too me.

I can name a number of things that are odd about all of this, but the main one too me is why would someone want to throw away 5k? Well if you have it I guess you can do it!

To me, if I am looking for a vessel and I cannot find one I like or fits my needs, then I go to a broker and tell him/ her. "This what I want. This what I will pay, now go find me my vessel!"

Any broker worth his/her weight, will have 5 to 10 vessels lined up for me to look at with in a day or so.

Brokers can find any kind of vessel anywhere around the world, (If they are any good!)

If those vessels are not too my liking, then that broker will say. "No worries, I know where some more are!" and we keep looking.

In today market, lager vessels from 55 and up are not selling well, due to the price tags. Smaller vessels are selling really well, so there are a great deal of lager vessels out there to be had and Brokers know it.

So too me why would I pay or offer 5k to someone that is not in the business of wheeling and dealing vessels. The odds of that person finding my vessel before a Broker is all most zero. So why do it?

It's just odd to me to make an offer like that and simply poor business smarts, that's the way I see it and I have owned my own business for over 20 years.

But that is me and as I said, if you have the cash I guess you can throw it away after all it is your cash.

I hope GG finds her vessel and some lucky soul hits the jackpot of 5k. I know it will not be me. LOL

Happy cruising too all

H. Forster

Last edited:
I have been watching this post and the more I read, the odder this post becomes too me.

I can name a number of things that are odd about all of this, but the main one too me is why would someone want to throw away 5k? Well if you have it I guess you can do it!

To me, if I am looking for a vessel and I cannot find one I like or fits my needs, then I go to a broker and tell him/ her. "This what I want. This what I will pay, now go find me my vessel!"

Any broker worth his/her weight, will have 5 to 10 vessels lined up for me to look at with in a day or so.

Brokers can find any kind of vessel anywhere around the world, (If they are any good!)

If those vessels are not too my liking, then that broker will say. "No worries, I know where some more are!" and we keep looking.

In today market, lager vessels from 55 and up are not selling well, due to the price tags. Smaller vessels are selling really well, so there are a great deal of lager vessels out there to be had and Brokers know it.

So too me why would I pay or offer 5k to someone that is not in the business of wheeling and dealing vessel. The odds of that person finding my vessel before a Broker is all most zero. So why do it?

It's just odd to me to make an offer like that and simply poor business smarts, that's the way I see it and I have owned my own business for over 20 years.

But that is me and as I said, if you have the cash I guess you can throw it away after all it is your cash.

I hope GG finds her vessel and some lucky soul hits the jackpot of 5k. I know it will not be me. LOL

Happy cruising too all

H. Forster

Couldn't of said it better myself.

I don't understand how this subject tread has 'ruined' this or any other forum.??

Whether she buys a boat or not doesn't take away from the fact that these subject threads(s) have brought to the fore a lot of interesting boats that might never have been mentioned on a boating forum,....and this is a boating forum, isn't it??

Plus she has actively participated right along with the subject, and in many cases offered some reasonable objections to certain suggested vessels even within her limited knowledge of boats (first time buyer).

So if you are tired of reading about her 'adventure' and some of the MANY different suggestions that other contributors are likely having fun contributing (living her dream), then go off and read other threads and bring them back to life (up into the top ten).

There is a lot of good info in many of those older subject threads that deserves a refreshing.

...my 2 cents

In another forum and possibly on this one...I noticed that the vast majority of knowledgeable and sensible posters left a long time ago...because of the responses to their posts and possibly what the threads eventually turned into.

Most of the people still posting in her numerous threads are a bunch of misguided, inexperienced cheerleaders who are trying to get her to buy stuff she has clearly said no to many times over. They are 'feel good" types who don't offer substantial input as they really have no experience in vessels she is looking for...other than their ability to look in Yachtworld, etc....so she is getting what she decided to get by encouraging them and saying how much she has learned (don't see how because of what has been posted most of the time).

I don't agree that there has been a lot of good info...especially the posts looking at canal boats when she cleary states she wants a passagemaker...so like many of the posts...just an exercise in peoples egos.

I am reminded of the old saying "opinions are like a**holes... Everybody's got one".

wow...read that in a magazine someplace?:rolleyes:

On a better note;

Sitting outside on a beautiful evening on Beach St in Daytona enjoying wine, the breeze and the people walking and driving by.

On a better note;

Sitting outside on a beautiful evening on Beach St in Daytona enjoying wine, the breeze and the people walking and driving by.

Hopefully that till encourage someone to buy a boat...:thumb:

God it must be nice to be Beach Bum!!!!! LOL Enjoy

H Foster

Psneeld

LOL LOL That was way to funny! LOL LOL

Jackie Robinson Ballpark

ForumRunner_20130914_181041.jpg

Have what you want built . Send me a pm and tell you where to send the 5,000

So too me why would I pay or offer 5k to someone that is not in the business of wheeling and dealing vessels. The odds of that person finding my vessel before a Broker is all most zero. So why do it?

Happy cruising too all

H. Forster

She may have wore out her welcome with the broker world. Somebody this particular can cause an individual a lot of work and over time they get disgusted and give up. I hope she finds something soon, if not, I have several properties in SC and sell her with many bedrooms/staterooms! :rofl:

$5,000 Reward

Wow, why are their Negative Nancy’s this thread should feels more like a bunch of college coeds sitting around a camp fire discussing their life goals and how they are going about them, and I personally like the glow of a fire a little to drink and the joy of talking to bright people who have something inspiring to say! I think it is fun that GG is picky and does not faultier in her quest for what she is looking for, as far as boat brokers so far the ones I have met want you to do your homework. They are there to sell a boat. This site is full of information and bright people who have something inspiring to say, support this and try hard not to rain on that fires glow! Who here has not taken a challenge from a friend with and without success and walked away better from it. I threw that Cheoy Lee in the challenge and also challenge you to do better and hope you beat me!
:thumb:

<I think it is fun that GG is picky and does not faultier in her quest for what she is looking for>

What she has been looking for was never really defined , except BIG.

<I think it is fun that GG is picky and does not faultier in her quest for what she is looking for>

What she has been looking for was never really defined , except BIG.

From the link on post #1:

Looking for:
  • 55-70′
  • Raised Pilothouse
  • At least 3 staterooms
  • (later clarified to at least 4 staterooms, or 3 plus crew quarters; see post #71)
  • Steel or Fiberglass
  • Trawler/Expedition Style
  • Long Range
  • Passagemaking Capability
  • List Price not to exceed around $600k
While that's painting with a broad brush, the implications behind some of the requirements generally point to only a few basic types of boats...

Of course, that still leaves several ways to get there from here. And probably some of the almost-candidates on the fringes would probably make very good Plan B boats if perfection doesn't appear on the horizon soon enough.

-Chris

Last edited:
Looking at that list ,

The Choy Lee 66 would be first look, to see what compromises were a stopper.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...Y-Clean-2641764/NC/United-States#.UjW0dn9BCho

4 state rooms and under budget

8V71 can be rebuilt in place anywhere in the world if ever required ,tho with 3500 hours there good for a couple of circumnavigations , IF they have been properly maintained .

Genuine Ocean Passagemaking would only require modest restrictions , NO North Atlantic in winter , no cyclones or hurricanes , and probably a fuel bladder ot two for a Pacific crossing on one of the longer routes.

Last edited:
Me too... I am in the "we are being scammed" camp. And even if we aren't, this is long past absurd. Whoever this is has also ruined the Powerboat forum over at Cruiser Forum for Bess and me too, with 6 of the top 10 threads in the wrong sub-forums. Look GG, you have all the info you could possibly need by now. It's time for you to stop trying to find the PERFECT boat and go buy one of the hundreds of leads you have for boats that clearly meet your criteria. I would imagine that you have seen every possible option on Yachtworld by now. You will never find "perfect" which is what the community has been telling you for over a year now.

Lots of us looked for over a year before buying a large boat!

I, myself activly discussed, and pondered a large boat for several years before buying one.

I looked on YW, and every venue possible. Bugged lots of people.

What makes GG different, because shes a girl? Or a single mom? or both?
Is it that she does not fit the typical demographic of a large boat owner?

Seriously guys, I see dreamers come to these forums every day. Most go away quickly, some stay. Some never buy a boat, but they learn about boats and for whatever reason decide its not for them.

Some ask questions, bracket their needs vs their wants, and buy a boat eventually.

This is GG's adventure, her life, and I for one hope it works out for her!

I found her the perfect boat , am just looking for the ca$h!

The Choy Lee 66 would be first look, to see what compromises were a stopper.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...s#.UjW0dn9BCho
4 state rooms and under budget

Case Closed!

That is a BEAUTY....so much so that I almost didn't want to post an alternative 65' catamaran that needs a lot of work, but could be a very nice vessel when finished

The Choy Lee looks like it might be an estate sale?

...and are those GM 53 series engines?

That is a BEAUTY....so much so that I almost didn't want to post an alternative 65' catamaran that needs a lot of work, but could be a very nice vessel when finished

The Choy Lee looks like it might be an estate sale?

...and are those GM 53 series engines?

Specs said 8V71 about 350hp I think.

I found her the perfect boat , am just looking for the ca$h!

>The Choy Lee 66 would be first look, to see what compromises were a stopper.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...s#.UjW0dn9BCho

4 state rooms and under budget<

Case Closed!

And it's a new listing:thumb:
what are we waiting for?

While at this point, I have become a bit skeptical that there ever will be a purchase, i hope GC has got to the point that she realizes that there is NO perfect boat out there. Not even new for a gazillion dollars:eek:

When you make that list of what you must have, it means you can live without those items not on that list.:hide:

good luck. May you have fair winds and following seas.
Richard

And it's a new listing:thumb:
what are we waiting for?

While at this point, I have become a bit skeptical that there ever will be a purchase, i hope GC has got to the point that she realizes that there is NO perfect boat out there. Not even new for a gazillion dollars:eek:

When you make that list of what you must have, it means you can live without those items not on that list.:hide:

good luck. May you have fair winds and following seas.
Richard

I agree with you Richard. The boat that I want is rare and could take months to become available. I am changing my plan a bit and going to go with something else....for now.

I am changing my plan a bit and going to go with something else....for now. __________________

Well I guess there goes my $5K!

Looks like a very nice boat. The price is north for my budget. And, I was really hoping to find a boat with a raised pilothouse. Thanks for posting it.

GG, might I sugest you don't get totally wedded to the pilothouse style. once the boat is up in the 50' plus range, the pilot area is always very generous anyway, and you are already fairly high up with good visibility. Having said that, the Cheoy Lee 66s that have been mentioned, and even that Ocean Alex 71, put up recently come pretty close to your wish-list.

However, if you have decided to settle for something else for now, we would love to hear what that is, even if it's a small beachside cottage in fact. I think you owe us that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom