Cruising the San Juans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Thought I would get some pointers from some local folks, we are planning some weekend trips into the San Juans and are looking for either guest docking or we could swing on the hook and tender in. Looking for something similar in flavor to La Conner a little shopping, a little eating, something cute. Hows Friday Harbor? Are there other areas in or around the islands that you would suggest. I have a four year old so somewhere to explore would be ideal. When boating we use to like to isolate ourselves but now it's nice to get some walking in as our four year old is full of P and V.

We enjoy Friday Harbor at times but I would not call it little or cute. Lots of shopping, good provisioning and good walking. It is our "larger port of choice". Lopez Island Fishermans Village is good too. Anchoring in Garrison Bay near Roche Harbor is good and nice History ashore. A lot of people go to Roche Harbor but that is not our destination except for clearing customs. We prefer Roche to Friday Harbor. Better tie up facility and the agents seem more friendly. Good grocery in Roche and artsy shopping abounds. There are lots of small places to go to as well. Waggoners has good information as do other guide books.
What boat are you getting for your adventures?

1)Deer Harbor is great. Nice beach area for kids and walking.

2)Roche harbor has tremendous walking/hiking areas with excellent services

3)Blakely Marina is a fun overnight spot. Small store, quiet with beautiful views and a big grassy lawn. We receive no phone service here.

4)Langley Marina is a fun spot. It's not in the San Juan's, but it is between Everett and LaConner. We like to go there for the Island State Fair. Lots of walking with a great town.

One thing I want you to be aware of is the approach into Swinomish Channel and Deception Pass. I would highly recommend you take the Swinomish route today. Deception pass can be nasty and the weather isn't great out there today. Regardless of which way you go, watch the markers and study your maps..... many new boaters get stuck heading up to Deception or Swinomish. What looks like deep water, may not be more than 1-2 feet. Have a great time with your new boat!!:thumb:

Eagle harbor on the northeast side of Cypress Island is nice and secluded. Beautiful nature scenes and fun to explore in a skiff. Nice beach and trails to walk, six or seven free DNR mooring buoy but no dock.

Sucia Island State Park, north of Orcas Island, is one of my favorites. It is absolutely beautiful with excellent walking trails and beaches. Four or five coves on all sides of the island provide good anchorage. Several of the coves have mooring buoys and docks. Get there early and mid week if you want a buoy or dock space.

You might think about crossing over to the Canadian San Juan's as well. Very beautiful with quaint little island villages and harbors. Victoria BC is lots of fun too. Depending on your boat, it's about 3 1/2 hours from Anacortes to Victoria Harbor for me or stay in Maple bay and take the bus into town. From LaConner probably 4 1/2 hours direct. Be sure and bring your passport though.

Too many great places to go. If it were my first time I would be like a kid in a candy store!! :blush:

It's hard to make a poor decision for places to explore in the San Juans. Good suggestions have been made.

I have always liked Stuart Island--either Prevost or Reid Harbor. Both State parks, moorings and limited dockage. The island is wonderful for hiking--very little for shopping if that is important. I would think a 4 year old would enjoy the walking in the woods.

Enjoy.

Chris

Once you leave the San juans, you may cross over to the Canadian Gulf islands (contrary to what Edelweiss says, none of us refer to our Gulf Islands any other way). You will likely check in at Bedwell Harbour, at the Poet's Cove resort. Good walking, minimal shopping, a very nice up-scale resort. Or anchor off the Marine Park. After that, there are dozens of nice places to visit. For shopping, Ganges is the biggest in the Gulf islands, or go to Sidney on Vancouver Island (check in there too). We have been cruising in the Gulf Islands for 40 yrs and haven't tired of it yet.

Eastbound in East Sound (there is a difference!) on Orcas Island has good anchoring in about any weather except a southerly. It also has a county dock primarily for smaller boats and dinghies which is a 5 minute walk from the village of Eastsound. Smaller than La Conner and Friday Harbor, it could actually be called cute and has shopping and eateries that are pretty decent.

Edelwiess,
"Canadian San Juan's"? Really?
They're the Gulf Islands. It may not seem like big deal, but we almost fought a war over them (the Pig War, 1859), so obviously someone thinks it's a big deal!
;-)

"Canadian San Juan's"? Really?
They're the Gulf Islands. It may not seem like big deal, but we almost fought a war over them (the Pig War, 1859), so obviously someone thinks it's a big deal!
;-)

My mistake, the post should have read the "Canadian Gulf Islands." That's what I get for trying to use the Trawler Forum cell phone app instead of waiting until I got home to use a PC.
LB

Apology accepted.. now I'll stop calling them the "American Gulf Islands".
M.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom