How To Prevent Chafing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
I've noticed that where my docklines come in contact with my gelcoat that they are starting to leave black marks on it. I've tried washing it off but it acts like I'm going to have to wax or compound it off.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

thanks

:banghead:

I use a hydraulic hose protector which is much like a fire hose which some use. It is a 10th the price of ready made. Buy by the foot for less than a dollar a ft. Works awesome and available at most industrial suppliers.

Hose Sleeves | Princess Auto

Can you get the dock lines off the gel-coat? Adding chafe protection to the dock lines is only going to protect the dock lines not the finish.

Can you get the dock lines off the gel-coat? Adding chafe protection to the dock lines is only going to protect the dock lines not the finish.

No, the cleats sit Topsides and the lines go over the edge down to the floating dock.

When I wanted chafe protection for my lines, the First Mate and I made a trip to Goodwill. With her direction, I bought a black leather purse for only a few dollars. Took it back to the boat and carefully cut the stitching to give me some nice sized pieces to use on the dock lines. Sewed it on with a herringbone stitch and looks mighty fine on the fore deck.

I was having the same problem. I got rid of my black lines and bought white one. Worked for me :)

Wrong thread?

Attachments

• 300.JPG
    300.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 501
Beachbum, I recently tried a product to remove some rub marks and rust stains that acetone would not touch. It worked very well and is called FSR...Fiberglass Stain Remover by Davis.

166-790.jpg

I have found a product that makes a good, long-lasting chafe protector without staining the rubbing surface. It's called Rescue Tape. I use clear for the chafe protection but it comes in many colors.

79994_L1

Beachbum, I recently tried a product to remove some rub marks and rust stains that acetone would not touch. It worked very well and is called FSR...Fiberglass Stain Remover by Davis.

I have found a product that makes a good, long-lasting chafe protector without staining the rubbing surface. It's called Rescue Tape. I use clear for the chafe protection but it comes in many colors.

That tape lasts on the line?

I wonder if the Gander Mountain store in St Augustine stocks it? Hoping to go that way Saturday when I want to see if Sailors Exchange has any port screens.

Yes, BB, the tape lasts a long time. It does not stick to the line as the 'tape' has no adhesive. It bonds to itself as you stretch it and overlap it onto itself with 50% coverage. Check out the video.

Rescue Tape.mov - YouTube

When I wanted chafe protection for my lines, the First Mate and I made a trip to Goodwill. With her direction, I bought a black leather purse for only a few dollars. Took it back to the boat and carefully cut the stitching to give me some nice sized pieces to use on the dock lines. Sewed it on with a herringbone stitch and looks mighty fine on the fore deck.

Great idea for a cheap source of leather.

Disclaimer: The owner of Rescue Tape is my buddy, and I made that silly video for him (originally designed as an end-cap display video for Ace Hardware Stores).

I've personally used it at home and on the boat and it works every time. And while it's great for whipping the ends of lines and can be effective as an anti-chafe mechanism, it's kind of "permanent" if applied for this purpose (meaning you can't easily slide it up and down a line or remove it for use on a different line).

However, we're almost six-months into a test of Spiroll Rope Protectors. Here's the web site: Spiroll Rope Protectors - Marine Definitely watch the video on that page and you'll totally understand why it's so good.

So far we think it's an awesome product for the intended use. Not only has it eliminated chafe on our dock lines, it has also eliminated those annoying "squeaking" sounds dock lines make as they rub on the boat. We're going to make a product demo video about it in a few weeks.

So... Rescue Tape will work and be effective as an anti-chafe for your dock lines. But don't tell Ron I said the Spiroll product is faster and easier to use for this purpose.

Last edited:
I've noticed that where my docklines come in contact with my gelcoat that they are starting to leave black marks on it. I've tried washing it off but it acts like I'm going to have to wax or compound it off.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

thanks

:banghead:

While these wooly chafe guards are not cheap, they will definitely protect your topsides from becoming scratched or abraded.

Wooly® | Chafe-Pro | Don't Dock Without It | Removable Chafe Gear Chafe-Pro | Don't Dock Without It | Removable Chafe Gear

For regular chafing protection on mooring lines and anchor lines, these work very well and are easy to use.

Yacht Series | Chafe-Pro | Don't Dock Without It | Removable Chafe Gear Chafe-Pro | Don't Dock Without It | Removable Chafe Gear

They can be found at several boating outlets online at a discount.

LarryM
m/v Boomarang

Small diameter fire hose works great. Drill a small hole at the end and feed a twist tie true to keep them in the designated location.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

However, we're almost six-months into a test of Spiroll Rope Protectors. Here's the web site: Spiroll Rope Protectors - Marine Definitely watch the video on that page and you'll totally understand why it's so good.

Thought you may be interested that there are two brands of precast concrete decking that we use. This is heavy duty stuff that we use for long spans and sometimes even parking decks. They are Spandeck and Spiroll.

Disclaimer: The owner of Rescue Tape is my buddy, and I made that silly video for him (originally designed as an end-cap display video for Ace Hardware Stores).

I've personally used it at home and on the boat and it works every time. And while it's great for whipping the ends of lines and can be effective as an anti-chafe mechanism, it's kind of "permanent" if applied for this purpose (meaning you can't easily slide it up and down a line or remove it for use on a different line).
Cool product.

I thought there were only lines on boats?

:hide:

;)

So far we think it's an awesome product for the intended use. Not only has it eliminated chafe on our dock lines, it has also eliminated those annoying "squeaking" sounds dock lines make as they rub on the boat. We're going to make a product demo video about it in a few weeks.

So... Rescue Tape will work and be effective as an anti-chafe for your dock lines. But don't tell Ron I said the Spiroll product is faster and easier to use for this purpose.

Do you need any field testers?

I think Larry was on the right track. You need to keep the line off the fiberglass to prevent the black streaks. If you don't want to put screw holes in the hull, you could glue chafe strips on with 5200 or 3M VHB tape. You'd have to fabricate them as the Taco and most other chafe strips have a hollow back, no place to put the glue.

I also use Rescue Tape, and keep at least a dozen or so rolls handy for other things. Rescue tape will actually seal a broken water hose (even wet) because it is not dependent on adhesion to the hose, only itself. I also had a leaking transmission cooler that I temporarily wrapped with Rescue Tape and it held for two weeks before the replacement unit arrived. I've reduced my spare hose stock to nearly nothing now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom