Your thoughts on anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlinmike

Guru
Pretty much been using Danford style anchor for 30 years on varies boats, but to be honest we only anchor in familiar areas (sandy) so it worked for us, unless of course the wind does a 180 and then breaking loose is not uncommon.

So looking to anchor more, in conditions from Maine to Bahamas’ therefore Danford only won't cut it.

So looking at sailing forums and some searching here, we seem to have "new generation anchors" and those more traditional Bruce, plows and CQR types.

Reading some good things about Rocna and Manson's, how do they stack up to older style Bruce or Delta?

Thoughtful discussion would be greatly appreciative.

You won't find any shortage of anchor opinions and discussions on this forum....for sure. While you're getting these opinions, try to keep in mind that most of us have preferences, and are often faithful to what designs have given us the most loyal service. Currently, I keep a Delta, Bruce, and Fortress styles onboard and am looking for a Manson or Rocna to add to the pulpit.

MarlinMike,

A quick search here will turn up a lot of threads that talk about anchors. It is kind of related to the type of discussions akin to single vs twins. Sorting thru the posts will quickly show everyone's favorite, depending on many factors. Long threads talking merits and demerits of each type. Don't forget to include rode discussions, caternary, angles, steel construction, aluminum and many other facets of this discussion. Hours of reading available should you choose to accept this mission. Good luck! :hide::D

We switched to a Rocna 7 years ago from a CQR and are on our 3rd boat still using a Rocna. We carry a fortress and a Danforth as backup. Mostly because the GB came with the Danforth and we already had the Fortress. Have only used the Rocna to this point, even in 40 knot winds. Like its quick set and hold. It works for us quite well.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have been reading some very interesting discussions on this site, covering fluke angles, shank lengths etc. Also reading anchor pull tests, but at this point looking for anchor type info covering different areas (Chesapeake,Maine etc) and your actual experience, like kolive with 40knot winds etc.

Thank you for your input.

The only consensus I ever see on anchoring threads by people who have anchored a lot....is that it's more HOW you anchor and what you are using than WHAT anchor you are using.

The newer designs seem to have taken some of the flaws out of some of the older designs...but even the new ones have weaknesses that are magnified by bottom, conditions, type of rode and how you anchor....these weaknesses seem to come from general comments discussed by those out there anchoring day in and day out.

There's no one source for that info...just reading hundreds of opinions and deciding the validity for yourself.

Most anchor discussions are "out w the old in w the new" talk.

If your Danforth is big enough and your anchoring skills are good enough it should serve you well.

But if you should bend your shank there are many choices for new anchors. The Danforth seems to work at short scope as does the Claw and many of the newer anchors fall short there.

The newer anchors are better in most ways but as you can see there are lots of old anchors that have been holding boats in place for a very long time. And if you look at fish boats some anchor designs are 100 years old.

I have a Delta, but Eric has me eyeing the Manson Boss.:confused:

Don do some anchor testing ... Get the Boss.

Don't think it's in any anchor test and no one has commented here about their performance.

How often do you get a 50 knot gale in your area?

The Boss looks like it could outperform anything. No unnecessary weight or extra non-fluke appendages to impede holding power ... except the shank. And Manson has a lot of experience and no baggage. They make a wide variety of anchors so ther'e not trying to sell you their magic cure all hook. I'm thinking it's got to be better than the Supreme and look at the record there. The only possible downside that I see is that it may be built light. I picked one up at the boat show and was suppressed at how light it seemed. But then holding power per lb should be more than supreme. Pun intended.

Last edited:
There is a Manson Supreme for sale on the Cruisers site, 45 lbs for 300.00.

mwwalters@earthlink.net

I know nothing about this except from the ad. Location is South Florida.

I tried to reach that guy by PM and also using his e-mail as above. The e-mail came back "undeliverable" and no response to the PM or original ad. Duh?!

I tried to reach that guy by PM and also using his e-mail as above. The e-mail came back "undeliverable" and no response to the PM or original ad. Duh?!

Too far for me, plus saw Defender Marine up by us had the 20kg (44lb) Rocna for $386.39, I could pick up and save shipping when I drive by the place, still researching/listening. Also noticed the Manson now go for more money, $40 for equivilent size.

Anchors are a compromise of attributes. None do everything best.

We have anchored out almost 50 times so far on the Great Loop and never had a problem setting or holding. We are using a 44 lb claw anchor with 300 feet of 5/8" chain. The bottoms have been mostly sand, clay, or grass. Under these conditions I suspect that any style anchor would have performed just as well.

Bigger is better if you have room.

Attachments

• IMG_5985 C.jpg
    IMG_5985 C.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 88

We have anchored out almost 50 times so far on the Great Loop and never had a problem setting or holding. We are using a 44 lb claw anchor with 300 feet of 5/8" chain. The bottoms have been mostly sand, clay, or grass. Under these conditions I suspect that any style anchor would have performed just as well.

5/8 chain?

That's pretty hefty...most smaller yachts use 5/16 or 3/8...

that's coming up on 1200 pounds of chain...I have 200 feet of 5/16 which strength exceeds the holding power of my 60+ pound manson and is only a little over 200 pounds of chain (which is noticeable in trim).

Last edited:
Sailing, tried many anchors Cape Cod to Trinidad and back. Danforth HiTinsel always worked, sold off others, never looked back.

I am a Danforth fan for sure. I have a 35 lb high tensile and all chain (5/16) and that is my "A" anchor. Secondary is a 44 lb Delta that has dragged once or twice in the past. The Danforth hasn't.
When I am in weedy areas, like during my summer trips that past couple of years into Canada's fresh water, I change anchors and use the Delta on the chain as my "A" anchor because the Danforth pretty much sucks in weeds in my experience (I sharpened it per suggestions here but haven't tried it in weeds yet).
But in Long Island sound (my home grounds) , Hudson River, New Jersey, Chesapeake Bay, I prefer the Danforth.

Hello,

I just sent him an email from the Cruisers site asking for a contact number. If he replies I will forward it own to you.

Keith

(Marlinmike-- Sent you a Private Message re your original question)

Danforths can be great, but I dislike their ability to pinch fingers and bring up a bucket-load of muck.

Yes ps, it is 5/16. Thanks for catching that.

As often as people speak of hefty anchors and chain I just had to know...I pretty much guessed 5/16 as most windlasses within reason will handle 5/16 or 3/8 but 5/8 was gonna really trigger my interest.

I'm sure if you could and wanted to handle it...it would be a huge difference in moderate conditions...heck just lifting the chain off the bottom would take a pretty good bow.

Again more curiosity than trying to put you on the spot...as I figured it was a typo...

ps,

I'm sure based on observing the anchor buoy, winds, currents, debris on the chain, and location of the boat before and after anchoring, that on several occasions the pile of chain on the bottom was all that was holding the boat overnight.

Well Mark it ain't much of a hook if it won't grab a bunch of mud.

I did that in Calder Bay. With a Danforth. So much ugly black stinky mud I don't think anything but the end of the shank was visible. Took me 20 minutes to clean it off and I could smell that mud on my hands for weeks.

Do I have thoughts of a wash down system? YES

Eric, you have proved my point. And just think of the damage done hauling up a portion of the seabed. (I can imagine that by the middle of this century, anchoring in coastal/estuarian waters will be illegal.)

My boat is light with an 80 pound anchor, 33 feet of chain and 3/4” nylon single braid. In light winds and shifting tides, the rode would wrap around coral heads and rocks as the boat floats around. I opened the braid and inserted a ½” poly braid. It now floats. Its just a little more bulk but still handles and stores ok. the line also floats above the mud.

Great idea boatgm.

Adapting to suit the local conditions is a better idea than listening to a world wide group opinion.
I use a type of stockless anchor designed almost 200 years ago. They are one of the few anchors that will get through the heavy weed beds found in this area. Almost every local fishing boat uses them but they are rarely seen outside South Australia.

Over the years Bay Pelican has used a Bruce, Fortress, CQR, and Nordhill, and a Rocna. I have read the reports on the different capabilities of the anchors. We anchor out almost all the time. The reports are one thing and can be endlessly debated. I note however that in the Caribbean, an anchoring mecca, that the CQRs and Danfords are disappearing being replaced by the newer generation of engineered anchors. The going price for a CQR on the cruisers' nets is dropping. 10 years ago CQRs were the regular anchor.

If you are buying an anchor the newer models deserve a close look.

Marty

<So looking to anchor more, in conditions from Maine to Bahamas’ therefore Danford only won't cut it>

A SINGLE Danforth may not cut it but a second anchor solves the problem.

Read OGGs (the Danforth designer ) free booklet.

If going to the Bahamas , you MUST use the Bahamian moring in many tiny anchorages and creeks.

So just evolve a simple setup and do it every night.

Less than 5 min is required and it adds tremendously to the boats safety , and allows anchoring near , in established mooring fields as well.

.On our 50 we drop a 60H is at the bow.

A 20H with 5 ft of chain and a rode of 7/16 or 1/2 line is dropped AT the stern

Walk the line outboard to the bow and give a good tug to set the anchor.

Play out more stern line so the 5-1 7-1 line / depth is observed and tie it off. DONE!

IN the AM if the wind or current hasnt changed simply walk the line to the stern and give a tug. An old sailboat winch stern mounted is a help, if the wind was high Onite in the reverse direction .

Many times we simply rip the almost straight up anchor out bu either motoring ahead a few ft . or use the bow Hyd windlass to pull the boat fwd.

The stern anchor line is coiled and tied off for its next use.

On out 33ft 90/90 Cutter rig a 35H is at the bow and a 12H at the stern.
With 54 ft mast it probably has the same windage as most 40 ft motor boats.

The Danforths are great , but in some bottoms a different STYLE anchor is required , we use a 60 CQR to get thru the tall grass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone, a lot of good insight, I agree one anchor cannot do it all, this was more of a case when I need to buy another, more of a primary are the new generation anchors all they are cracked up to be. Interestingly enough when reading threads from say 2006, a lot has changed with company's changing hands and costs to distributors. Something as traditional as an anchor still is evolving.

You can get a good Kedge if you want. They have many larger too.

ANCHOR YACHTSMAN 38 LB 3 PC STORM 26'-35' BOAT 150483
ANCHORING / ANCHORS

Part#: KIN-Y-38

Tell A Friend

Favorites/Wish List

List Price: $489.00 / Each
Your Price: $429.99 / Each
* Item on order. Will ship when available

Kingston Yachtsman anchor 38lb. OVERSIZE! This item exceeds standard freight size limits. Additional shipping charges may be applied to your order at time of shipment. The yachtsman anchor is more dependent on weight for holding power than the plow once it is set. It will hold tenaciously. This has earned it an excellent reputation as a storm anchor. It is a good anchor where others have difficulties, in rocks and heavy weeds, and is less sensitive to low scope. This is a great advantage in tight anchorages. Made in Canada.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/bro...8-lb-3-pc-storm-26-35-boat-150483/4,1190.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom