Interesting Video - Outboard Power!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evinrude E-TEC 150 HP Challenges (Full Version)
That's impressive! I believe "Manyboats" has been running an E-Tec for years. :blush:

Well I have had two 4 stroke outboards now and although they are great on fuel and very quiet they suck for maintenance, you have to set them down in certain positions or risk engine damage, they are considerably heavier and absolutely gutless from a power standpoint, IMO but I know there will be others that love them. I for one would not buy another.

Talk to commercial guys and see what they think of all these new outboards...my old boss who has supervised many fleets of boats really dislikes the Evinrudes....he was the largest subcontractor for cleanup at the gulf BP spill under the NRC....so he has a pretty good fleetwide knowledge of reliability. He also owns 2 marinas that service all the outboards.

Of course he doesn't speak highly of Hondas, Mercs or Yamies either.

Talk to commercial guys and see what they think of all these new outboards...my old boss who has supervised many fleets of boats really dislikes the Evinrudes....he was the largest subcontractor for cleanup at the gulf BP spill under the NRC....so he has a pretty good fleetwide knowledge of reliability. He also owns 2 marinas that service all the outboards.

Of course he doesn't speak highly of Hondas, Mercs or Yamies either.

So... what ob's does he like? I like the older 2 cycl Nissan and Johnson. Not had a 4 cycl yet nor an E-Tec. Not heard but a couple up-beat comments on the 4 cycl... have heard some complaints. Not heard much re E-Tech.

inboard gas for small boats...all outboards seem to have some issue....

25hp and less...are just the opposite...seems like you can't kill them unless you have no clue...

My Nimble Nomad is powered by a 1991 Honda 45 hp 4 stroke. It has been very trouble free and still runs great. If it ever quits,I guess I will replace it with a Honda.

inboard gas for small boats...all outboards seem to have some issue....

25hp and less...are just the opposite...seems like you can't kill them unless you have no clue...

I've had GREAT luck with each of the following 2 cycle ob's:

2-3's, 2-9.5's, 1-18, 1-20, 1-25, 1-33, 1-35, 2-40’s, and 1-50 hp Johnson. They ranged in years from early 50's to 1975. I still run the 50 hp 1975 Johnson full tilt boggie when we tow our 1975 14' 8" Crestliner runabout for visiting islands, going to marina restaurants, and for good ol’ gunkholen... which is something we do much of the times we're out crusen/hooken aboard our Tolly

Some years ago I also had an 8 hp 1998 Nissan on an inflatable.

Only items I recall needing to annually tend on these motors:
- Shaft's sheerpins on the older motors' props
- Greese injections into fittings
- Water pump impellers
- Replenished 90 w in gear box
- Ocassional starter cord on some of the smaller old ones
- Lubed elect starter gears

And oh yes, almost forgot! Very first ob I bought with my own money was in 1961, a brand new 1.7 hp "Neptune Mity-Mite". Each fall it needed new paint and a new reed valve aback the tickle box primer.

:D

Back
Top Bottom