Mariner Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headroom is good except going down steps. Probably find that spec in one of the magazine reviews

I think it's a great boat, have you been happy with it? What are your major positives/negatives?

Mariner Yachts, 38' Orient model

Is this "Mariner" the same company that produced the Mariner 38 Orient?

I stand corrected. Looks like the Mariner 38 Orient is from the same company as mine. One for sale in Baltimore, a 2004. I can tell you that we are happy with our boat's build quality, handling and overall engineering. What isn't right at least can be accessed easily and correct (so far). Nice woodwork. Probably cam from the same factory as ours, ours is a 2008. Factory support? Not sure. Helmsman Yachts now brings in what used to be the Mariner line. They seem like nice folks and people on this forum have said nice things about them. Massey sales in Florida represents them on the east coast. I have not had the bad dealings that others had with the company. We bought a 2008 in 2011 so missed the whole dealing with the delays, commissioning etc.. thing. Paul Burbach handled our purchase and is one of the finest brokers I have ever known. I would buy a boat from him again in a second. Good luck, keep me posted.

I saw a vessel by this product name over on Kent island, MD last week. When I went to look up info on this forum I found this discussion.

Why has no one posted a photo of these vessels that might help ID the vessels and see if everyone is on the same page? I think I have a few photos I can post....let me find them...

Here is a picture of mine. Of course, you can go to the Helmsman web site and get as many pictures as you want. Read this whole thread for the history of the boat.

Ron

Attachments

• B and K Boat Trip 2010 162.jpg
    B and K Boat Trip 2010 162.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 191
I have found a couple of Mariner 40's on Yachtworld. I was thinking this thread would tell me something about them. This last post is the closest that I've seen.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the 2006-2007 Mariner 40's?

Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30

Was able to see *the new boat in Seattle a couple of weeks ago. *It is very nice and more refined. As live aboards on our 37 we have a *lot of experience with this boat. We are not afariad *to go out in rough weather *that keeps others in harbour. *We have been averaging 250 engine hours and 70+ nights at anchor every year. *If *you have questions, feel free to contact us.

I am interested to know what you consider "rough weather" - two to three foot swell with chop or five to six foot cresting swells?

We bought a 2007 Mariner 40 last April and have been all over Tampa Bay, and back and forth to Marathon. Of course, the ICW is fine and we found the run from Marco to Marathon to be no problem as well. We did watch our weather and had calm seas.
We live aboard in Bradenton, FL and, so far, have been VERY pleased with everything about this boat.
We look forward to making a trip over to the Bahamas next spring and that will be the biggest challenge for us one our 'new' boat.

If I knew how, I would post a picture.

Wm

We bought a 2007 Mariner 40 last April and have been all over Tampa Bay, and back and forth to Marathon. Of course, the ICW is fine and we found the run from Marco to Marathon to be no problem as well. We did watch our weather and had calm seas.
We live aboard in Bradenton, FL and, so far, have been VERY pleased with everything about this boat.
We look forward to making a trip over to the Bahamas next spring and that will be the biggest challenge for us one our 'new' boat.

Wm

What is the fuel consumption and average speed per trip?

Wm

It depends on where your pics are saved. If you use an off computer site like flickr, you just click on the wee mountain icon above the text enter box, which ID's itself as 'insert image', then enter the URL of your pictures file and select from there.

If you have them saved in a file on the computer you are using, make sure you select the 'go advanced' text entry box, not the 'quick reply' one, then to add the pics, just go down to 'manage attachments', and then 'choose image', and browse to your desired pics, select or open, one by one , (cycling through the procedure for each), then click on 'upload', then the 'close this window', and finally the 'submit' button, i.e. essentially follow the prompts.
PM me if you strike more trouble.

Cheers, and welcome aboard the board...

Britt,
We are on the West coast of Florida, so seems like we are always running either with the current or against it.
At around 1500 RPM's we run about 7 kts burning around 2 GPH. Of course, kick it up a little and everything changes.
So far we are very happy.

Now if I can just follow Pete's instructions, I'll post a picture.

Wm

next time you are in Sarasota Bay shoot us a message Bradenton is a great place

Finally able to, at least, get a picture of our Mariner 40 in my profile.

Wow, pretty boat in your profile!

Now,
I finally got it in my Avatar.
YES!

your boat looks familer maybe I have seen it in our area

great looking boat

Mariner Seville 37 Pilot House

We purchased a 2007 model from Waterline Boats in Seattle in July 2015. The boat had 430 hours on the engine. We made this transition from a 35ft Jeanneau sailboat. All in all we love it, but there have been a few problems.

The hydraulic steering has never been right even after spending a bunch of money replacing one of the steering pumps. After a minor correction to port, the wheel often goes over a half turn to starboard before the resistance of the rudder can be felt. The rudder indicator also doesn't move until then. This condition affects both upper and lower helms. One tech observed air in the line between the fill port on the upper station and the top of the pump. He suggested relocating the upper helm fill point to a higher position as it is slightly lower than the top of the helm pump. I have spoken with SeaStar Technicians and they believe there is still air in the system. The auto pilot steers beautifully.

Another problem is that the black rubber (vinyl?) trim around the windows has places where it appears to be decomposing. It is soft and sticky like tar.

The other strange problem is that the last two times I filled the starboard fuel tank, it refused to accept more than a trickle of fuel. It took forever to get 50 gallons into it. Not so the first time I filled it, and not so with the port tank. The vents appear to be clear.

I recently completed a 2 week cruise to Desolation Sound and faced some 4 to 6 ft seas with winds in the 35 Kt range while going north up the Georgia Straights. The boat handled this very well, but fuel consumption went up from 2.5 gph @ 1500 RPM to 5.5 gph @ 2100 RPM in order to maintain hull speed. The wind and seas were on the nose on first day, and on the beam on the 2nd day. The boat did roll quite a bit with the beam seas, but with no sails to stabilize the rolling, I suspect that is normal for semi displacement hulls.

If anyone has any ideas or has experienced any of the above issues, please let me know. Thanx:

The other strange problem is that the last two times I filled the starboard fuel tank, it refused to accept more than a trickle of fuel. It took forever to get 50 gallons into it. Not so the first time I filled it, and not so with the port tank. The vents appear to be clear. Thanx:

Do you have a check valve, vent line surge protector or P trap? Check all these.

Mariner

We have not had a problem with our steering. Not sure what you have, but I keep the reservoir at about 25psi.
The previous owner must have removed all the black trim from the windows as we have none.
And no problems filling the tanks, so far all is good.
At this point, we are very happy with our Mariner 40.

Not so the first time I filled it, and not so with the port tank. The vents appear to be clear.

Wow! I had the same problem. Tank filled fine until last summer then the starboard tank could only be filled at a trickle. Turned out the vent hose was too long and had a sag which got a slug of fuel preventing air from escaping during filling.

Solution was shorten the hose and make sure it rose from tank to vent. Hope you have good access.

Rob

Pretty hard to estimate, I'd guess 15 to 20 degrees with the beam seas, except one rogue wave that might have got us to 35 degrees.

I don't have a clue where the vent hose is. No schematics came with boat. Not sure if the are any devices in the line. Thought I saw something about that in all the documentation I did receive with boat, but have been unable to locate since. I guess some more exploration in the enginevroom is in order.

I do know that the vent oitlet is close to the water line, so it runs uphill to the tank. There could be a trap somewhere though.

2004 Mariner 38 here

Wanted a 40 but settled on a 38 because of a great price at the time. The size difference is all in the cockpit depth. Other than that they are identical.

Looks like you have a Europa style. The new Helmsman company is not building that model. The old Mariner Seville Pilothouse is the Helmsman 38 of today.

An old thread continuing. I recently saw an advert for Mariner 40, and realized how much it resembles the Clipper 40, sold here until at least 2008. Clipper Yachts in Australia claim to own the moulds in China, maybe there are different versions of the moulds, certainly the interior fitout was different with the galley aft in a pic I saw, whereas the local ones have the galley forward to port.
Most Clipper 40s here come with a Cummins 230 or 270 single(and are located north in Queensland), though there have been Cummins twin 220s and 270s fitted. They seem well designed and built boats,with good use of space and high finish quality. I`ve only inspected a 2004 model with single with thrusters both ends, I noticed the side seating bases on the FB had delaminated from the deck and been repaired, perhaps more than once, raising the possibility of water entry to the FB deck.

I have a friend with the Mariner Orient 40 He has had water intrusion problems in several deck furniture components. Our boat (Mariner 37/ H38) seems to have been built with honeycomb core everywhere, and so far, no problems.

So far, No water problem on our 2007 Mariner 40. And we are really liking this boat!

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Sombrero Dockside Marina
Marathon, FL

Back
Top Bottom