Vacuflush Toilet Overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
This system is driving me crazy. First the system was plugged up. The pump was rebuilt but still runs because it's loosing vacuum somewhere.

The system was emitting nasty odors. I replaced the charcoal filter on the vent line, it didn't fix it. I then pulled the vent hose off the holding tank and it was plugged up. That issue resolved.

This morning after flushing, I went back to bed and could hear water running. The toilet now overflows and I have to keep the water shut off.

How can I fix this problem?

Btw, I also learned that my shower pump is inop.

Not sure what model bowl you have.... underneath the foot pedal sometimes there's a mushroom headed plunger that operates the flush valve...otherwise I think flush valves are al internal and sealed. If pulling out the mushroom or jiggling the flush valve doesn't work...you have to keep the water secured until fixed or a shutoff installed prior to the flush valve.

I can't seem to find a model number. Here's a couple of images.

ForumRunner_20130908_134157.png

ForumRunner_20130908_134212.jpg

you should be able to pop the cover/guard off the foot pedal to access the type of flush valve...if the plunger type, you might be able to work it free and lube it till you can get it replaced.

I found the model number, 806. After removing the cover the pedal flush is in the way.

I'm going to have to pull it out to repair, so I'll just go ahead and reseal it at the same time.

Thanks

I found the model number, 806. After removing the cover the pedal flush is in the way.

I'm going to have to pull it out to repair, so I'll just go ahead and reseal it at the same time.

Thanks

I just spent most of a beautiful sunny day straddling while working on and cursing my at vacuflush. Sounds like a repair to the water inlet valve is in order for yours. Do a google search,There is a company in Fla. that specialize in vacuflush parts at about the best prices I have found. Get the bowl seals in hand prior to pulling the beast apart..a relatively easy but disgusting and foul job. Have disinfectant and a couple rolls of paper towels handy... and numerous latex gloves.
HOLLYWOOD

I just spent most of a beautiful sunny day straddling while working on and cursing my at vacuflush. Sounds like a repair to the water inlet valve is in order for yours. Do a google search,There is a company in Fla. that specialize in vacuflush parts at about the best prices I have found. Get the bowl seals in hand prior to pulling the beast apart..a relatively easy but disgusting and foul job. Have disinfectant and a couple rolls of paper towels handy... and numerous latex gloves.
HOLLYWOOD

Sounds wonderful.

How much time does this job take?

Last edited:
When we bought our boat it had a pair of 15 year old vacu-flush heads. We spent over $500 on new valves, vacuum gauges, seals, you name it. I have never seen such a complex, convoluted system. Still smelled and leaked. Finally tossed them and install Tecma heads. In 5 years of living aboard, not a problem. Save yourself money and grief and replace the head with something simple and reliable.
Old vacuflush heads are not worth the hassle.

I've been considering exactly the same thing. The pump has been rebuilt and it still runs almost continually. I've got the smell handled but this system has needed constant attention since we bought it last spring.

Think it's time to cut my losses.

Out of 8 boats I've owned since 1995, 2 of them have had vacuflush heads. All were a giant PITA.

What would be a good, solid replacement for this vacuflush setup?
I'm sure there are other choices but in my boat there is a Jabsco electric that has been flawless for 7 years. (So far!) Tecma is a good name although I have never used one. Anything but a Vacuflush gets my vote.

I used basically a vacuflush toilet...and just hooked it to a regular old $80 cheapo Johnson macerator pump that pumps it into the holding tank. When I flush it goes into a section of AB plastic pipe via a short section of RV sewage hose and the pipe acts like a mini 1-2 gallon holding tank if I don't want to push the button every time. The pump winds up being in the engne room so it is nearly silent in use.

I used basically a vacuflush toilet...and just hooked it to a regular old $80 cheapo Johnson macerator pump that pumps it into the holding tank. When I flush it goes into a section of AB plastic pipe via a short section of RV sewage hose and the pipe acts like a mini 1-2 gallon holding tank if I don't want to push the button every time. The pump winds up being in the engne room so it is nearly silent in use.

So I would still have to rebuild the toilet and replace the vacuum pump with a macerator pump. I could use the existing power feed and wire it to the available rocker switch on the vanity.

Will this work?

Last edited:
So I would still have to rebuild the toilet and replace the vacuum pump with a macerator pump. I could use the existing power feed and wire it to the available rocker switch on the vanity.

Will this work?

Yes you would still need a water valve...unless you wanted to rig some other way of adding water (12V water valves can be had for under $20) but I think the foot valve is the ticket.

You can use the gulper style pumps...I used like 4" abs pipe where sewer hose clamped on one end and the other had a reducer to 1 1/2" female threads that the generic macerator pumps screw right into...then 1" hose to the holding tank...

if your only holding tank is the vacuflush systems...then you still need another pump to pump overboard if you ever do.

I'm going to replace the water valve and reseal the toilet. I'm planning on using the existing 1.5" waste hose already in the system. I'll just switch out the new pump for the old one and fish a switch leg into the vanity for the off-on rocker already present in a panel.

I have to check my breaker to make sure its a 10 amp.

Looks like I'm doing plumbing for awhile. I need to see why the shower sump pump isn't working, replace a flexible line for the shower head and replace a bilge pump.

Then I have to find a midget to replace my blower motors and hoses in the engine room.

This system has been a PITA.

The vacuum pump was supposedly rebuilt but it will cycle back on about once a minute if the breaker is left on.

I like things that are dependable and so far this system has proven otherwise.

BTW, I have a background in marine and auto mechanics, it's just been 30 years ago and my eyes were much better...

So I'm getting myself back up to speed since I'm having an issue finding a dependable mechanic who actually knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the link!

When we bought our boat it had a pair of 15 year old vacu-flush heads. We spent over $500 on new valves, vacuum gauges, seals, you name it. I have never seen such a complex, convoluted system. Still smelled and leaked. Finally tossed them and install Tecma heads. In 5 years of living aboard, not a problem. Save yourself money and grief and replace the head with something simple and reliable.
:thumb:
We have the Tecma heads and love them. When we bought the boat four years ago they were five years old. The PO was very happy about their performance and we have been too.
I just put two new vacuum flush system on a sailboat for a friend. They are very simple systems and IMHO anyone can work on them. Sounds like the fill valve need rebuilt or replaced. Make sure that plastic pedal cover isnt hanging up on the valve lever,

This system has been a PITA.

The vacuum pump was supposedly rebuilt but it will cycle back on about once a minute if the breaker is left on.

Thanks for the link!

I would take some snoop to all the fittings to check for leaks and then if thats not it I would replace the duck bill valves in the vac pump units

I would take some snoop to all the fittings to check for leaks and then if thats not it I would replace the duck bill valves in the vac pump units

The duckbills were supposedly replaced just a couple of months ago.

After looking at what the seals, switch and installing a new pump costs it looks to cost about the same to put in a Tecma toilet.

Last edited:
After looking at what the seals, switch and installing a new pump costs it looks to cost about the same to put in a Tecma toilet.
...and Bob's your uncle! :)

Back
Top Bottom