Todays problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Went to start engines. Stbd starts right up. Port nothing. Turns over. Seems like its not getting fuel. My mechanic figured it out. Can you?

Hint I cracked the primary fuel filter bleed nut and the mechanical lift pump pumped the fuel out so no air in system...

Perkins 6.354 NA

Fuel shutoff valve pulled out, if mechanical shutoff.

Today's problem as a thread could turn out to be long one. :) with proper thread drift.

SWAG it is a stuck fuel shut off solenoid.

Oil pressure switch - nah

Transmission neutral safety switch - maybe

but getting warm sounds like a hint

Loose temperature sensor wire that fools overheat system.

The tank you've been running that engine on is empty! :blush:

Hint: solenoid was fully closed meaning plunger was engaged. Solenoid was checked. It worked good. ( by the way some of us have the same solenoid on genset if needed. )

Rings are shot...no compression.

On a Honda it would be the low oil sensor kicking in.
Not part of any diesel I have.

On my boat the solenoid pulled in would shut down the fuel supply. It is engaged by completing a circuit with the push button at the helm - or a short across the two connectors.

Time for a little thread drift - you were warned!

There was a time when I was having an issue with my shut off solenoid. Back before 9/11/01. Things were a little more shall we say unenforced back then. We have great sunsets in Michigan City, IN. Back then we did a lot of cocktail/sunset cruises. Anyway we have a power plant across the creek from the marina. (which by the way it is harder to find a picture of both the marina and the power plant on the internet than finding a ball in high weeds) But is really close. We get back the dock, push the stop button and it does not quiet. Push again - nothing. Go back lift hatch - lay down and reach for the linkage. Nothing. Try again, and again.

Twenty minutes later I realize we are try to get the plant to be quiet.

Same solenoid still going.

My only failings to start is not to have the gear shift exactly at neutral. Perhaps something electrical prevents the engine from believing the gear is in neutral.

if that perkins engine has an air dampner then that could be the issue.

Diesels only need ...

compression
fuel
air

to run

Throttle linkage came loose at the injector pump. Couldn't advance the throttle above the idle position to start the engine. :blush:

LB

It's 'cause you have twins, and that means double the potential for trouble...as KSanders said, it only needs air, compression, and fuel to run, (seeing you said it turned over), and you wouldn't suddenly lose air, so it comes back to either the engine stop was still engaged = no compression, or the fuel was shut off to it in some way...so if they are not it...OK, WE GIVE UP, WHAT WAS IT...?

Last edited:
Someone replaced the engine with a plastic replica?

Of course, Bruce...'s'obvious when you think about it...

Hard to tell from a "didn't start" only declaration...if it was spinning too slowly...it may not start (most of the time noticeable but not always).

Mechanical fuel pump leaking into crankcase.....

Primary fuel filter failure.

Crack bleed screw on injector pump to see if fuel is being delivered to it...

Check fuel return line open to a tank...

OK..none of the above after rereading posts...your statement

"Hint: solenoid was fully closed meaning plunger was engaged. Solenoid was checked. It worked good. ( by the way some of us have the same solenoid on genset if needed. ) "

leads one to believe it's how the solenoid mechanically engages the injector pump....for those of us without Perkins would have to leave it with "fiddle with solenoid and connection till it works".

Last edited:
fuel shut off sol came loose from valve

I second the damper was shut.....

On a Honda it would be the low oil sensor kicking in.
Not part of any diesel I have.

On my boat the solenoid pulled in would shut down the fuel supply. It is engaged by completing a circuit with the push button at the helm - or a short across the two connectors.

Closer... Very warm

Relay circuit on the engine at the starter. Original Lukas UK relay on it. Relay was forcing the Solenoid plunger to remain closed. Not allowing fuel to enter the engine.

Trouble shooting the engine like you all did. Before checking the relays.

I learned the first thing to is check the obvious.

Last edited:
Crap! I just read the thread for the first time and that was gonna be my guess!!.... But seriously, a relay at the starter operates the fuel shut off solenoid? Does your fss pull and maintain to run- or pull and maintain about 10 seconds to kill? Cause if it pulls to "run" I would think the starter relay operates the "pull in" coil of your fss (needs more amps), and after starting the "hold in" coil would then get fed by an ignition source. Just wondering.

Perkins - Lucas

The brits drink warm beer because - refrigeration by lucas. I get the warmer part now!

Extra part most of us don't have methinks.

Crap! I just read the thread for the first time and that was gonna be my guess!!.... But seriously, a relay at the starter operates the fuel shut off solenoid? Does your fss pull and maintain to run- or pull and maintain about 10 seconds to kill? Cause if it pulls to "run" I would think the starter relay operates the "pull in" coil of your fss (needs more amps), and after starting the "hold in" coil would then get fed by an ignition source. Just wondering.

Good question. I think the relay burned out when I shut the engine down last time because the solenoid was in the retracted position or closed so no fuel was getting into pump.

The lesson I learned was check the electrical before going into the mechanical. If I just assumed it was a fuel delivery problem I would have started chasing pump and air bleed issues and never would have gotten the electric figured out as quickly.

So far as I am concerned there is an especially hot place in Hell reserved for whoever it was decided that the fuel shutoff had to be operated by a solenoid. What in the world was wrong with the old Morse cable? If it ain't broke, then please don't fix it!

John

Back
Top Bottom