V-Belt equivalents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there,

Thought I would drop a hook into the depths of TF's accumulated wisdom and ask if anybody knows the dimensions of a Yanmar v-belt, part #25132-004600 for the 4JH2-UTE engine.

So far all I could find was a reference that it's equivalent in size to a Mitsubishi REMF-6460 belt which is supposed to be 1/2" x 47"

Is there a cross reference chart squirrelled away in some obscure corner of the web that lists alternatives?

Thanks,

Murray

supposed to be 1/2" x 47"

NAPA and most belt sales have the size in inches and mm on the cardboard belt holder. IT is also built , cast or painted on many belt surfaces.

Look at your existing belt and see just what markings are on it.

NAPA and most places have seen the problem a million times and will happily exchange the belt if its not right.

Simply take the old belt and they will measure and match it , and then write the size that fits in the boats maint log.

IF the engine is a marinized Toyota or newer BMW , it might be worth looking on the car builders site.

Thanks FF,

We gave the Yanmar part# to the guy at our local NAPA store but he didn't have a direct match. Also took in the old one, and after some belt stretching comparisons and head scratching he gave us his best guess alternative. Will try to get the actual dimensions from NAPA's cross reference list next time and will write them down in the maintenance log.

(Don't know if it's pertinent, but our 4JH2-UTE sports the 80A optional alternator).

For the time being will use a NAPA Premium XL 25-7460 cogged A section v-belt, with dreams of a serpentine pulley kit in my future...

Last edited:
buy your self a belt deflection tool for setting the tension on it if the engine doesnot have a automatic tensioner, you engine will thankyou for it.:dance:

buy your self a belt deflection tool for setting the tension on it if the engine doesnot have a automatic tensioner, you engine will thankyou for it.:dance:

Good tip :)

Saw a belt tensioning device during my web-wallowing today, and it sure makes sense...like an extra pair of hands. Another good bit was from the Balmar site that explained how to get the tension right if you don't have a deflection tool; put some tension on and give the alternator shaft nut a nudge with a wrench. If the pulley turns and the belt doesn't, apply more tension until the belt does move. Easy-peasy.

Still crawling my way up from the bottom of the learning curve :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom