Water tank levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
We have two water tanks, neither one has any kind of level indicator. I was thinking of either putting in sight glasses or a simpler solution would be to put in a water meter to measure total flow.

Anybody gone the water meter route?

Bob

I have been going through the same process and I am going to try a water flow meter directly passed the fresh water pump.

Here is a link to the page that I think would work best.

Good luck

Took a brief look. Sure can't beat the price. Wonder about the accuracy though. The ones I was looking at are about $70. They have a mechanical totalizer with no reset. They also have the same version with a contact output for about $90. Would need a counter to go with that so the total price is quite a bit higher.

watermeters.com

Bob

Attachments

• tank tender.jpg
    tank tender.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Solo.jpg
    Solo.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I've looked at the Tank Tender. Very simple device but I think their price is outrageous. the Solo device does not work on metal tanks.

A water meter seems like the simplest thing to install. I know we hold 225 gallons, so if I can monitor the usage I should know what's left without having to worry about tank shape.

Haven't decided yet, still looking. I think I can build a Tank Tender device for less than $100, low pressure gauge, squeeze bulb and some tubing. But then I would have to cut an opening into the tank and all of that. The water meter I just put into the line coming from the tanks and I'm done.

Bob

I may look at the Solo device for our holding tank. Although I guess a big enough flow meter would also work. Just kidding.

Bob

You're going to hate this but I use a dip stick... After six years I just about know our fresh water usage over several days down to the gallon. I've thought about different devices through the years but always talk myself out of installing them. Just another electrical thingy to add to the dash...

Nothing wrong with that, except I would have to lift the bed every time I wanted to check. On our sailboat we used about 10 gal/day so we could go about two weeks with our 150 gal. On that boat I installed a sight tube which was very convenient to check because all three tanks came together under the galley sink to a three valve manifold.

We've only run on the tanks on this boat one time and seemed to have run out in about 5 days from a 150 gal tank, not good. So the thinking is that the flow meter is relatively easy to install, it's relatively cheap (~$30) and should give us a heads up on water usage.

On our second cruise with the sailboat I had built a watermaker so maybe we got a little careless with our water consumption.

Bob

sight tubes and I can see the water to see if it's changing color, developing floaties, etc.

access panel at foot of the bed.

I will let you know how that how that flow gauge works, although it will be a few weeks before that item comes up on my to-do list.

My main concern is that I am installing one of those new fresh water 4.5GPM adjustable flow pumps that allows the removal of my accumulator tank.

I have a water hammer happening as the current pump tops up the accumulator and these new pumps are meant to eliminate that banging and will adjust to having multiple faucets open at the same time.

Consequently I am not sure how the flow meter will work with the adjustable flow pump at low flow, but for $35.00 it is worth the risk.

We carry 425 gallons of water in two tanks under the master berth forward along the keel but like most I dont want to lift up the berth and remove a panel to check the level on the sight tube.

My access is a door that opens to the sights gauges...no lifting/moving....

Water meter sounds interesting...will be interesting how accurate it is.

I may look at the Solo device for our holding tank. Although I guess a big enough flow meter would also work. Just kidding.
Bob
Beats an inspection port on top and sticking your arm in.:eek:

You may also want to look at the "Weka" gauges. Very reasonably priced and very accurate. I have had them on my boat for many years and they never give me a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

With 2 tanks (60G each) we simply run one dry , switch over and take on water at the next stop.

Folks that prefer to anchor out using the AICW will find most fuel docks deserted between 10-11AM and about 1400-1500 in OK weather.

That is the ideal time to fuel, water , shop and hit the laundry !

Why not a valved tee in a convenient location ahead of the pump. A flexible plumbed line above the water tank level - marked for full tank. Open valve wait a minute - there is your level. Close valve and drain the line. About $20.00 maybe.

I'm with FF - we have three 60 gal tanks. At least one held in reserve for water.

Dip stick for fuel tanks.

Light above the plastic holding tank.

Safe, simple, and cheap.

Why not a valved tee in a convenient location ahead of the pump. A flexible plumbed line above the water tank level - marked for full tank. Open valve wait a minute - there is your level. Close valve and drain the line. About $20.00 maybe.

That is a really easy, 100% accurate solution.

Great post!

That's what we did on the sailboat. The tube was under the galley sink, very convenient. On this boat it would have to be in the engine room, not so convenient.

Bob

Clear plastic must be located in a light free location , or green stuff grows in most water.

We have sight tubes on our water tanks, but when we were looking for a monitoring system for our stainless steel head tank, we checked out the Gobius system. It was reasonably priced and having installed it two? years ago, can say that it works very well... and great customer support too! They have systems for fuel, water and waste tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom