Find My Boat - $5,000 REWARD!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What we did is get a listing of the Washington state brokers and when to called/visit them. All brokers have to be registered with in their state. Here is a listing of all the new England brokers that you can go through. http://marinesource.com/brokers/brokerinfo/new_england_list.cfm Not all boats for sale are on yacht world unless the owner want to pay for it, so there are a lot of boats not listed. So do a search of brokers by state.

My Mom was saying the same thing Phil, that we need to start calling around to brokers and telling them what we are looking for.

This is also exactly why I offered the finders fee, just in case others can find boats that I cannot.

I will start calling around tomorrow. Thanks for the tip :thumb:

62' Powercat
You would be surprised at the amount of room availabe on a catamaran.

A good friend of mine ownes this, and several weeks ago said he might be considering selling her as he has moved ashore into a house. I'd like to be able to afford it, but its beyond my means.

See some pictures here
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -

Brian

PS: Don't be confused by the title (and dollars) of that subject thread. This cat is within your price range. And its upkeep will be FAR less than you might be spending on some other big boats you have been considering.

Brian, someone on another forum has been pushing me on cats, but I would prefer a trawler. This boat is quite spacious though, but the outdoor space just isn't the same. Thanks for posting it.

GG,

Give a list of your requirements , desirements , and what you would find unacceptable.

larger Great Harbor

I actually like Great Harbor boats, but I like the other larger version. 5 kids need lots of space :)
I wasn't really suggesting the 37 footer at all, its just the only one I had been aboard in person and had photo of. Sure I thought you needed at least the 47'.

Then again maybe their 74' that only exist in their plans?....ha...ha

Maybe you could make them a special offer to get that project going,...perhaps a simplfied KISS version to begin with?

Here is a subject threat on the Great Harbor boats that both the owner of GH and the designer joined in:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/great-harbor-trawlers-still-business-11097-5.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/great-harbor-trawlers-still-business-11097.html

65' Malahide North Sea Trawler Yachtworld

Give a list of your requirements , desirements , and what you would find unacceptable.

That is a large can of worms. There is an epically long thread at Cruisers Forum that documents her requirements. I think there is one here too.

Brian, I think these are similar to what RTF posted. They are very nice boats, but don't have the space I need.
The superstructure/upper-cabin is quite a bit larger on the model I posted. And I don't think it would be a big deal to stretch this design by 10-15 feet. The rectangular, 2-story, volume has to be the largest such interior space optainable in a fixed hull length.

Personally if I was going after such a vessel I would likely chose to build the hull in steel as they have, BUT the decks and superstructure in polyproplyene honeycomb fiberglass as I am concurrenty considering for several other designs, including this Pilgrim trawler redesign
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

STEEL HULLS with Composite Superstructure / Topsides - Page 5 - Boat Design Forums

STEEL HULLS with Composite Superstructure / Topsides - Page 4 - Boat Design Forums

I'm also not a fan of the helm being integrated with the salon. Thanks for pointing them out.
I really like this open helm design on the canal boat Roi Soleil
roi_soleil_salon, helm, ps640.jpg

mariasteeringsite, ps640.jpg

Of couse the catamaran I mentioned really has a great helm station, isolated from salon, great visability, and even an off-duty berth for the companion helmsman.

Attachments

• IMG_7569.JPG
    IMG_7569.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7571.JPG
    IMG_7571.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7572.JPG
    IMG_7572.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7574.JPG
    IMG_7574.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7555.JPG
    IMG_7555.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 127
Trawler Catamaran

Brian, someone on another forum has been pushing me on cats, but I would prefer a trawler. This boat is quite spacious though, but the outdoor space just isn't the same. Thanks for posting it.

I look at this vessel as a trawler catamaran....just a faster trawler. It has some elements of a tug boat look to it as well.

The MOST important thing it has is shallow draft. I believe you will likely limit yourself for the firat 5 years to an operating area that will include the easy coast of the USA and the Bahama Islands. Shallow draft will be important !! It will allow to to explore a much greater area. It will allow you anchor out in areas not reachable by a great many other boats. It will allow for possible much fewer mishaps with prop and shaft mishaps which can become quite expensive. just to name a few.

The twin engines widely spaced apart will making handling the vessel a breeze. The relatively small size of these engines will make for a good fuel economy, and will be relatively easy on repair bills should they become neccessary.

The potential greater speed of this vessel could also be an asset with the youger generation. I've had several older displacement speed trawler owners tell me that it is difficult to get their grandkids to come for a visit/cruise on their too-slow old boats.

I don't understand your comment about the deck area of the catamaram? For a given length the catamaran generally possesses the greater outdoor deck space than does the monohull vessel. The photos I have of this 62' cat don't do justice to that BIG aft deck area.

Notice that in this first photo there is an awning material that is rolled up along the railing ready to stretch out over that aft deck area.

Bill's aftdeck also.JPG

That big aft deck becomes an outdoor salon and galley. A lot of the cooking and eating can be done out there, thus keeping ther interior free of cooking odors, cooking heat, and the condensation associated with cooking gases.

That big deck area is just waiting for creative applications from diving preps, to jet-ski operations, etc, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_7674.JPG
    IMG_7674.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7673.JPG
    IMG_7673.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_7672.JPG
    IMG_7672.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7541.JPG
    IMG_7541.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7542.JPG
    IMG_7542.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7539.JPG
    IMG_7539.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Man... Finding a slip for that monster would be a challenge. Certainly here in NC. ;-)

I insure Sea-Battical- she's a great boat, and extremely well maintained. She's currently on the hard getting bottom paint and service work done.

Great steel 1952 trawler

Hey GG -

Here's a long shot:

I spent 10 days in July aboard a 1952 58' Stuart & Fellows wood-hulled trawler. Four cabins (extra large master), three heads, big salon and galley, separate pilot house, lots and lots of deck space everywhere on multiple levels, mechanically great shape. It was an incredible boat and an incredible experience, and we got lots of compliments everywhere. Here she is:

M/V Katherine Jane - Home

She is in charter right now, and I have no idea whether the owner has any interest in a sale. But if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely try to make a deal on this one if the owner has even the slightest interest in a sale.

Cheers -

Steve

Last edited:
Absolutely a remarkable boat! I wouldn't want the maintenance though.

Of course, there's that. However, this boat is really in impeccable condition so at least there's nothing deferred on her.

And I just now realized I wrote "steel" hull; in fact she is wood. I'll go back and edit that now.

Yes, I am planning on attending the Newport Show. Looking forward to it, and, it's just up the road from here :)

GG - If you find yourself walking by the Cruising Outpost booth (the new magazine that "replaced" Latitudes & Attitudes), stop by and say hi to my wife, Lisa O'Brien. She's the ad director for Cruising Outpost, and we were talking about you, your family and goals last night. First thing she said is, "I'd like to meet her"!

This one we almost looked at during our search due to her design and pedigree (William Garden is my favorite designer!). But for us she was the opposite of what you're looking for as we wanted to stay under 50'. She has an interesting history and from what knowledgeable people have told me needs A LOT of work, but she's a diamond in the rough. She's also wood which is not on your list of hull materials, but is built very stoutly. Could be a gorgeous go-anywhere vessel with a refit in the $200,000 range: CLASSIC 1958 67' Trawler "Garden" by Vic Franck

This one is the best. Looks similar to another that I saw somewhere. I really like the design. Nervous about refit, but I'm going to e-mail them for more info and photos. I'll keep you posted.

I would love it if you keep me posted on this one. Mostly so I can vicariously enjoy the research and potential purchase/refit process! We spent a year looking for our boat, and this along with one other William Garden design I just fell in love with. She's reminiscent of the Romsdahl 65 trawlers which I love as well. IIRC Tom Smothers of the Smothers Brothers (not sure how old you are or if you remember those guys...) was a previous owner. I think she has tremendous upside at what would appear to be a modest entry. Also, in the event you do end up buying her, there are a couple of yards here in Port Townsend that absolutely excel at the type of refit you would be looking at. Sure would make a great story!

Of all the boats that I have seen my feeling is the 66 ft Choy Lee is the best fit. Single/twin engine, long range, rounded stern, 4 or 5 staterooms, with in the budget. There are several for sale and one is in North Carolina. The concern was it did not have the range to cross an ocean. However, one of the 66 was bought the owner is taking it to Australia. Might want to go back an look at it again. 1990 66 (ft.) CHEOY LEE Wide Body Long Range Cruiser for sale in Seabrook, TX. | ID 31067

The Pacific Marine 65 ft is my wifes favorit. But it does not quite meets your range requiment . 2000 Pacific Mariner Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com If you buy one please do not tell my wife! :D

The Northern Marine is my favoite but a little out of price range. There are several for sale. 2004 Northern Marine Pilothouse LRC "RAVEN" Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Anyway, some examples of boat you should be looking at.

And I just now realized I wrote "steel" hull; in fact she is wood. I'll go back and edit that now.
Thank you! I was really confused to see that design in "steel" in a 1952 boat. :blush:

That's not a boat. It's a nightclub disguised as a yacht :lol:

But seriously, it's gorgeous. I haven't seen anything like that yet. They must have put tons of money to get all that fancy neon lighting :D And I don't know what kind of crazy wide angle camera was used, looks like a mansion.

Thanks for posting it, but I'm staying away from MYs. I'm looking for a raised pilothouse long range trawler type boat.

stirring up mischief

The approach of "bring it to my counter and if i like it I will pay" is problematic. I do not sell boats but I have those propositions everyday and turn them down every day. GG- you need to have a little skin in the game.

Of all the boats that I have seen my feeling is the 66 ft Choy Lee is the best fit. Single/twin engine, long range, rounded stern, 4 or 5 staterooms, with in the budget. There are several for sale and one is in North Carolina. The concern was it did not have the range to cross an ocean. However, one of the 66 was bought the owner is taking it to Australia. Might want to go back an look at it again. 1990 66 (ft.) CHEOY LEE Wide Body Long Range Cruiser for sale in Seabrook, TX. | ID 31067

The Pacific Marine 65 ft is my wifes favorit. But it does not quite meets your range requiment . 2000 Pacific Mariner Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com If you buy one please do not tell my wife! :D

The Northern Marine is my favoite but a little out of price range. There are several for sale. 2004 Northern Marine Pilothouse LRC "RAVEN" Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Phil, I agree, in fact that last one you linked is my idea of a real sea-going, ocean-crossing boat, for sure...

That's not a boat. It's a nightclub disguised as a yacht :lol:

But seriously, it's gorgeous. I haven't seen anything like that yet. They must have put tons of money to get all that fancy neon lighting :D And I don't know what kind of crazy wide angle camera was used, looks like a mansion.

Thanks for posting it, but I'm staying away from MYs. I'm looking for a raised pilothouse long range trawler type boat.

Totally agree with you there GG. Way too gin-palacy...

I look at this vessel as a trawler catamaran....just a faster trawler. It has some elements of a tug boat look to it as well.

The MOST important thing it has is shallow draft. I believe you will likely limit yourself for the firat 5 years to an operating area that will include the easy coast of the USA and the Bahama Islands. Shallow draft will be important !! It will allow to to explore a much greater area. It will allow you anchor out in areas not reachable by a great many other boats. It will allow for possible much fewer mishaps with prop and shaft mishaps which can become quite expensive. just to name a few.

The twin engines widely spaced apart will making handling the vessel a breeze. The relatively small size of these engines will make for a good fuel economy, and will be relatively easy on repair bills should they become neccessary.

The potential greater speed of this vessel could also be an asset with the youger generation. I've had several older displacement speed trawler owners tell me that it is difficult to get their grandkids to come for a visit/cruise on their too-slow old boats.

I don't understand your comment about the deck area of the catamaram? For a given length the catamaran generally possesses the greater outdoor deck space than does the monohull vessel. The photos I have of this 62' cat don't do justice to that BIG aft deck area.

Notice that in this first photo there is an awning material that is rolled up along the railing ready to stretch out over that aft deck area.

View attachment 22700

That big aft deck becomes an outdoor salon and galley. A lot of the cooking and eating can be done out there, thus keeping ther interior free of cooking odors, cooking heat, and the condensation associated with cooking gases.

That big deck area is just waiting for creative applications from diving preps, to jet-ski operations, etc, etc.

Brian, they are very nice boats. I don't care for the layout of the great room/family/galley area. Although, I have seen a couple that were layed different and would work, but then those either didn't have enough states or the price was too far north. I also like the multiple deck areas that trawlers offer. With 5 kids, I want to be sure that everyone has space to spread out. Also, and I'm sure that I will be corrected on this, but cats, don't seem as seaworthy as some other vessels. Let's say, for example, if I wanted to check out parts of Alaska in a few years. I can't see myself in a cat, in Alaska. I more envision a boat with a much deeper draft. I don't want a boat with location limitations. That being said, I do admit that I could be wrong about that. I really haven't looked into them a whole lot.

Phil, I'm not a big fan of the Cheoy Lee's. Some of them had bad leaking problems. But, there are some very nice ones out there were the leaking has been corrected or maybe never did leak. The "Sopresser", that sold a few months ago is one. I really want a raised pilothouse. This has limited my choices quite a bit, but I am going to hang in their a while longer and try and get one. The boat that I wanted/lost had a raised pilothouse. I loved it on the screen, but when I saw it person, I knew that I would have to have a raised pilothouse. The view is monumentally different. I am a newbee, as we all know ;), so I think the view will be a great help with the learning. Also, when the pilothouse is raised, it often frees up space below for other stuff, without increasing length.

This boat is way north of the budget, and, I probably haven't seen it because, I believe that is a planning hull??? I skip all boats with planning hulls.

This boat would work, but the price. If I had a million to spend, I probably wouldn't have needed to ask for help from you guys. I would have bought that Nordy in Florida for 750 :D

You definitely have the right idea, and probably know what I need better than many. Thanks for looking. Please let me know if you spot anything else :)

GG - If you find yourself walking by the Cruising Outpost booth (the new magazine that "replaced" Latitudes & Attitudes), stop by and say hi to my wife, Lisa O'Brien. She's the ad director for Cruising Outpost, and we were talking about you, your family and goals last night. First thing she said is, "I'd like to meet her"!

Darren,

I will be sure to stop by and say Hi to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom