View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
bshillam
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Gas smell in the cabin, new to inboards.

First let me start by stating I am new to inboards. I have had several outboard boats, including two cabin cruisers. Both were outboards. Both had tanks that sat outside. During the hot summer days you could smell a little faint gas smell as the tanks expanded. Nothing I worried about as I knew why they smelled and once we were underway or it was dusk it was gone.
I recently purchased a 81 34' Convertible with twin Crusaders. When I went to look at the boat the PO had just replaced the racor fuel filters. There was a strong odor coming from the engine bay. However once the cabin was open it dissipated quickly. During sea trial I mentioned the gas smell to the mechanic and surveyor and they attributed the smell to it being a gas powered boat. Neither had any concern. The mechanic did say that on the older carbs some of the linkage will get slightly lose due to normal wear. Once the shafts into the carb get worn you get some gas/vapor coming from those shafts. Well each day I have been back to the boat I am still smelling a faint gas fume. There is no visible gas leak from tanks, hoses, vents, etc. I do have just a little bit of water under the engines and I am actively working on tracing the source. It appears to be a thru hull but I am still determining that to be the case. Either way I see and don't smell any gas in the water under the engines.
Could I really be smelling gas coming from the carbs as residual vapor/gas in the bowl? I read on this forum once the carbs were replaced it went away. Could a simple new carb over fix that? I don't want to act paranoid but my whole family is going to be on this boat and some of our friends and relitives. I'd like to make sure it is safe!
Next month I have the boat scheduled for tank replacement as inspection holes were put into them and insurance, surveyor, and myself want those removed. I will have all new fuel lines at that time too.
Thoughts? Feedback? Also do those fume detectors work? Whats the best brand/set up for our inboards? Thanks!

Also,

Went I have the tanks replaced both motors are going to be out. What kind of work should I have done since they are going to be out of the boat? I am going to have the engine zincs replaced, thru hulls inspected, fuel lines replaced, other thoughts as to what to have done?
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote