Not impressed with the Camano 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xraycharlie

Veteran Member
I had my mind set on buying a Camano 31 so I chartered one a few weeks ago on the Chesapeake Bay and I have to say I was not impressed with the boat.

When I compare it to another yacht we used to charter, a twin diesel Bayliner 3587, it fell way short on luxury.

On performance, it was excellent on fuel mileage, but stability was poor. One day we had 4-5 foot seas and when the waves were hitting us from the side we rocked very violently. Also anchored when boats would go by we rocked way too much.

The Camano boat also did not have an auto pilot which seems essential for a slow moving trawler.

The Camano I chartered was a 1997 I believe, did anything improve on the early to mid 2000 models?

I would wonder how the Bayliner would have performed in those same 4-5 foot beam seas? Those are some challenging conditions for almost any boat.

It's easy to understand your comparison of the "creature comforts" of the 36-foot Bayliner being superior to those of the 31-foot Camano. Those creature comforts are a Bayliner hallmark. If there are any people around with issues regarding Bayliner boats, those issues aren't usually about the amount of twinkle, bling. and convenience built into the design. Some have said, with some justification, that Bayliner designs an interior and then figures out how to get a hull around it. That's not entirely a bad thing, (and based on sales figures, it certainly appeals to a lot of people) but Camanos will approach the process from almost the exact opposite perspective.

There isn't going to be a close comparison between those two boats. If you prefer the larger Bayliner, you have lots of company. They probably sell more Bayliners in six months than Camano has sold in the firm's entire history. :)

Being a long term Bayliner owner I have to say that you are not comparing apples to apples.

The Bayliner 3587 is 5 feet longer, and is an aft cabin design, vs the Camano's design having a cockpit instead.
Even if they were the same length the Bayliners aft cabin design is allot more roomy. All aft cabin designs are more roomy that cockpit designs.

I've never actually been on a Comano, but I've seen them at the dock and like what I saw.

If I were in the market for a trawler speed 30' boat the Camano would be on a short list of boats to consider. That list would include the Willard, and some of the TT's I've seen for sale.

I agree with Kevin, but having had the luxury of being aboard a Camano 31, I have to agree that it lacks in creature comfort. It's kind of the Hummer of that size boat market. It's hell bent for stout but isn't built for bling.

As to the beam seas rocking the Camano, I think any boat would do the same thing. I think the Camano, given it's weight, might be a bit less tippy than most boats of that size and beam.

The Camano is really a 28' hull with the integral boarding platform making up the rest. Definitely apples and oranges.

Not too long ago I was on a Nordhavn 86. It did not rock in a beam sea as compared to my smallish DF 48 and it had many more creature comforts. Also it had two radars and dual APs. And 3 big freezers. Now if only I could get Norhern Spy to Captain it for me ------- and pay the bank loan off too!!

Comparos on boats can be endless, maybe a Nordhavn 76 would be fairer test

The Camano is a light boat and for it's speed it's very efficient but one shouldn't expect a Cadilac ride. Quick motions are the mark of a light boat but I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find a comparable size boat that would go forth on less fuel at 12-14 knots.

They look really good too ... and from both ends.

I had my mind set on buying a Camano 31 so I chartered one a few weeks ago on the Chesapeake Bay and I have to say I was not impressed with the boat.

Sometimes in life, finding out what you don't need or want is just as important as finding what you do need or want. Good on you to charter first. :thumb:

Now if only I could get Norhern Spy to Captain it for me ------- and pay the bank loan off too!!

We live in fortuitous times Tom...

I received an email just this morning from a Nigerian lawyer who is looking for assistance getting a princesses fortune out of Africa.

If that doesn't pan out, a few years ago in Mexico, I met this guy who has a friend, who's cousin is an international investor. He will GIVE me a Nordhavn! All I have to do is deliver it from Colombia to Miami!

Bayliner 3587 displacement 20,000lb
camano 31 10,000lb
your comparing apples to grapes

but maybe the prices are similar?

Larger bayliners do seem to have a good bang for the buck ratio.

Ultimately it doesn't matter apples to apples...if the other boat rode better than the Camano, then that's what he should be looking for...if it's bigger or costs more and has a nicer look/feel...then that's the direction he should head.

If budget or otherwise says smaller..than he has a fallback but already knows he will be disappointed...sounds kinda like many boat comparisons when shopping around and not being "model locked"....

Sometimes in life, finding out what you don't need or want is just as important as finding what you do need or want. Good on you to charter first. :thumb:

I couldn't agree more. It sounds like you got more than your moneys worth chartering. Imagine buying the boat then discovering you don't like it? Kudos for being one of the few wise enough to charter before leaping into larger boat ownership. :thumb::thumb:

Yes, perhaps I think I'm the kind of guy who wants to rough it without shower stall or generator (Camano) but when the rubber meets the road I'm really not, I'd rather have more amenities. Especially if I'm going to be spending multiple weeks at a time or maybe even months coastal cruising in retirement!

Yes, perhaps I think I'm the kind of guy who wants to rough it without shower stall or generator (Camano) but when the rubber meets the road I'm really not, I'd rather have more amenities. Especially if I'm going to be spending multiple weeks at a time or maybe even months coastal cruising in retirement!

Well said. Being comfortable on board is key to our enjoyment as full time liveaboards.

We had a 4087 (same as the 3587 but with a cockpit) and it was a great boat.

My biggest knock against the Camano is the lack of side decks. I would not own one based solely on that.

I am thinking my next charter will be a Mainship 34 trawler, Southwest Florida yachts has one for charter.

There is also a Albin 36 trawler for charter out of Annapolis.

My biggest knock against the Camano is the lack of side decks. I would not own one based solely on that.
These don't qualify huh, John?

Attachments

• IMAG1221.jpg
    IMAG1221.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMAG1222.jpg
    IMAG1222.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 203
No they don't. This does:

232323232%7Ffp73438%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33693336nu0mrj

:dance::rofl:

You should get a bonus as the response was under ten minutes.

But minus the bonus because in a rush the picture placement makes his boat look like a catamaran....;)

OP: What boat did you end up with? I agree with the others; You were very smart for chartering different boats. If more people did that they would save LOTS of money in the long run.

You can't do anything about hull characteristics, but a generator and auto-pilot can be added. I'm sure the original owner of that Camano had the choice for both.

I'm going to fly the BS flag when it comes to sea state... 4-5 in the bay means one heck of a blow and a small craft advisory.

It's not even a steady 4 ft today and there's weather that blew in yesterday.

In 2004 I bought a 2002 Camano, I owned it until 2008 when I wanted a larger boat with side decks, 2 sleeping areas, and stall shower. The Camano was a very well built boat and we enjoyed it very much. When I bought it it had no generator, I had a Kohler 4KW unit installed which powered the Air conditioning, heating, etc. fine. I never felt a strong need for auto pilot but the guy who bought the Camano from me wanted that feature so he had one installed after he had the boat shipped to Sweden where he lives.

When the purchase of the first Willard I was bidding on fell through, my broker showed me a Camano and tried to convince me that it was what I REALLY wanted. I thought it was very well built, fantastic fit and finish. I personally didn't care for all the vertical glass in the cabin, it gave me an "inside a greenhouse" feel.

I don't remember the helm particularly well, or even if it had a fly bridge. I don't care for fly bridges, the weather up here is almost never good enough to wish you had one. Even most nice days are still cool. I do remember it had what I call weekender traits, fast enough to get out and be back to work on Monday, at the expense of using more fuel.

The Willard is too slow for someone who is working to be happy, you would never get out far enough to see new things on a weekend. Just see the same things over and over again, like a sailboater who only has weekends off. But I don't work, so that isn't an issue, and the difference in range was a hugely desired feature for me. I fuel once every oil change (150 hours) and never even think about running out of fuel. It's not even a consideration...

When the purchase of the first Willard I was bidding on fell through, my broker showed me a Camano and tried to convince me that it was what I REALLY wanted. I thought it was very well built, fantastic fit and finish. I personally didn't care for all the vertical glass in the cabin, it gave me an "inside a greenhouse" feel.

I don't remember the helm particularly well, or even if it had a fly bridge. I don't care for fly bridges, the weather up here is almost never good enough to wish you had one. Even most nice days are still cool. I do remember it had what I call weekender traits, fast enough to get out and be back to work on Monday, at the expense of using more fuel.

The Willard is too slow for someone who is working to be happy, you would never get out far enough to see new things on a weekend. Just see the same things over and over again, like a sailboater who only has weekends off. But I don't work, so that isn't an issue, and the difference in range was a hugely desired feature for me. I fuel once every oil change (150 hours) and never even think about running out of fuel. It's not even a consideration...

To each his own. I'll stick up for the Camano line if nobody else will :) Can't beat the visibility from inside in a Camano. And all those windows let in a lot of light (and heat) and almost blur the line between inside and outside. Having options to cruise from slow to fast(er) with linear fuel economy is huge and unmatched. If you want to sit on one fuel-up and cruise at 7 knots, you won't refuel for a long time. Or get up and go if you want. Camano will do that. Nice to have the options. And I don't understand why flybridges aren't more popular in the PNW. I can't imagine having a boat without one. Granted I have a full enclosure. But I'm up there on every trip, even in cold weather, and you can't beat it in terms of visibility, fresh air, noise reduction, and enjoying the scenery. In the summer it's a must. And at the dock with a beverage and on the grill... who wants to be stuck inside? Flybridge is a must imo, but I do understand usability is more limited without an enclosure. I used to dislike flybridge enclosures on boats until I bought a boat with one :)

To each his own - whatever works for you is what you should go for!

Last edited:
I am sure if I lived in a tropical climate I would want a flybridge, and in the "land of the midnight sun" not having windows all around means I am not up all night with the sun shining in my windows.

I liked the Camano, it just wasn't the right choice for me. As well, I don't believe it gets down slow enough to troll at idle. Fishing is a huge reason I own a boat.

As you said, to each his own!

I am sure if I lived in a tropical climate I would want a flybridge, and in the "land of the midnight sun" not having windows all around means I am not up all night with the sun shining in my windows.

I liked the Camano, it just wasn't the right choice for me. As well, I don't believe it gets down slow enough to troll at idle. Fishing is a huge reason I own a boat.

As you said, to each his own!

I troll at idle no prob :thumb: I was worried this boat would be too fast as well but it's not... not even for kings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom