Switched from white to dark hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not uncommon that the temperature on the Coot's floors in the forward cabin and saloon is in the low 70s while the ambient temperatures are in the 80s. (Hot air rises, water temperature lower than the air in summer, stuff like that.)

Last edited:
Talk to me about insulation.

ry%3D400

Hemmingway's boat, Pilar, had a dark hull and a red superstructure I believe. And he ran it in Cuba & Florida waters.

Can't find my notes, but I took temperatures on the Coot on the 38th parallel in summer at high noon a couple years ago. White roof read something in the 70s or 80s compared to the concrete dock surface in the 140s. The dark green hull (sunny) side was in the 80s. The key is vertical versus horizontal surfaces.

"The coldest winter I ever spent, is the summer I spent on Coot"....or something like that

Hemmingway's boat, Pilar, had a dark hull and a red superstructure I believe. And he ran it in Cuba & Florida waters.
Pilar in Cuba

Attachments

• Pilar Composite.jpg
    Pilar Composite.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 74
He had no choice. Bunch a dudes running diesels told him his gas engine would kill him.
...and all his fishing friends had white hulls and were driving him nuts! :blush:

Last edited:
Hemingway also had Fuentes to keep planks and decks from drying out. The "New Pilar" is in the Carolinas (owned by Andy Garcia ). They were supposed to be shooting the movie, but so far nothing yet.

my Sunrunner hull is dark red and is impossible to keep shining all summer, deck is white and lasts much longer:dance:

>Well, black is asking for trouble. Blue or green is much better.<

Actually green is an excellent absorber of energy , that why trees are GREEN!

I'm happy to keep my boat white and car red(actually not my car at all, sigh)
Me too...and it is my car, actually...

Attachments

• Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Image108.jpg
    Image108.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 70
Some guys just NEED to be different.

I guess we fall somewhere in the middle on this one... Superstructure is Grand Banks Beige, and the hull is (IIRC) Hatteras Off White. PO painted the colors, and it shows with an "amateurish" finish. I would, however, love to re-paint the hull dark green or blue and keep the topsides beige.

Attachments

• Traveler in Friday Harbor.jpg
    Traveler in Friday Harbor.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 69
Not so Craig.

A PO removed the FB (thankfully) and my Mitsu isn't different as all the Westerbeke's and Vetus's are the same engine exactly.

But the Klassen marineazation is a bit different I admit.

How does one spell marineazation .... ???

Nice try though Craig.

Eric, lacking both a flying bridge and a second engine, you're definitely in the minority, and thus different from the majority.

The observant will notice a golden/yellow silhouette of a bear on the blue stack in both paint versions.

img_177653_0_d058beff5c1ed96e139698746d03da43.jpg

Back
Top Bottom