anyone know anything about this boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
I was in Lauderdale walking the docks and saw this, thought is was a very interesting modern motorsailor. Never seen one before :confused: anyone know what it is?
Thanks

ry%3D400

Is that the one that they dropped from the slings while offloading from ship and it landed on its wheelhouse? If it is, someone bought it and dropped a lot of cash in it. He said he wouldn't do it again, but he did get a nice boats out of it. He bought it as an insurance CTL.

Y'all are something else, just ask and ...

I find it quite interesting...and that includes the price :facepalm:

7ft draft, ouch

I gave one of these to my driver :)

Throw a bunch of solar panels on the fella and you have the ultimate doomsday prepper boat :whistling:

Just have the sail made of flexible solar cells. Now that's double green! Even a Prius owner would be envious!

Just have the sail made of flexible solar cells. Now that's double green! Even a Prius owner would be envious!
Hey! Wait just a minute! :mad::mad::mad::peace::angry::angry::huh:

My favorite boat, that's actually hull number 2 I believe, number 5 got dropped. It was carelessly handled by longshoremen, slipped out of the straps and fell 60 feet, banged off the pier, on down into the water and sank.
I read it has been fixed and is in use. These boats have a variable pitch propeller that can be feathered for sailing. It's an electrically operated 36" four bladed unit that costs over 50K. It can be adjusted below 900 RPM, and can be fully reversed, although the boat has a normal tranny.

There is a video where an owner said he was able to motor sail with the engine turning 1150 and getting 8 knots at <2 gph. You can increase the pitch until the engine is correctly loaded, (they say 70%) at low throttle settings and the lugger engine doesn't mind at all. It has a 3000 mile range at 7 knots on engine alone.
The boat could go just about anyplace, except under low bridges or gunk holing because of its 7 foot draft.
They can be had with a center sailing cockpit and engine room, or no sailing cockpit and a bigger galley/office area below, the engine under the sole. It has a large foc'sle for sails and whatnot, big walk in showers and large cabins. To sail the seven seas, I'd choose this boat. At 1.5 mil used, the lotto gods would have to smile down on me to ever have a chance.

They have a few odd features, like A/C compressors under the settee seats, electrical panel just outside the forward cabin door, the pilothouse and salon are one room, the decks look a little tricky to clamber around, and the boat isn't very pretty aft, the strange curves and odd lines spoiling her looks a bit. The dinghy is lowered via a hoist on the main boom, but a RIB up there looks like an afterthought. But I would be happy to suffer those 'defects' to have something like that. That mast reaches 74 feet above the water, it's a fairly powerful sail plan for a trawler.
Over 40 tons of boat. Oh, man.
Gotta go check my lotto ticket! :D

Last edited:
Did you turn in your Ford for another Prius?
Yep! I tried the "patriotic" approach (buy U.S.) & hated the electronics on the Ford. This is my third Prius. It's a "V". 55% bigger, fuel consumption not as good as the smaller Prius (Only getting 41 mpg for the last 1200 miles) but the electronics and voice control will blow you away. Like the last one, this car parallel parks itself.:thumb:

All the winches are self bailing hydraulic units, it has a freezer and a big Northern lights genset in the lazarette, large chart table/cabinet, hydraulic furling jib, push button mainsail, 52' at the WL, 57 feet overall, 16 1/2 foot beam, barn door rudder, the coolest companionway with watermaker and laundry, watertight shippy aluminum doors, 360 degree visibility and the windows slant the right way.
I'm having a perpetual boatgasm.
Woof.
I think they sell poorly due to the general appearance of the bulbous salon arrangement and the stern treatment. All the better for me, when my 'ship comes in'.
One thing I would change is the lighting, I'd have LEDs throughout the boat. I'd also add a curtain between the helm and salon, for the night watch while underway.
That's about it. Oh, and some sort of traditional dinghy.
Bluto sad. No lotto today. :banghead:

Last edited:
I'm with you Bluto, I think it's the ultimate boat also...only drawback for me is the mast height and draft, it would keep you from any traveling up/down the eastern intracoastal. As a world cruiser this is the ticket, I love it. I was fortunate enought to sail all over the West Indies as a young man in the early 80's and my love of sailing and sail boats is forever. There was a time when I would never of given something like this a second look, oh how our views change over the years.

Roguewave,
I had that problem with it, too. But that's the eternal compromise.
I only want the boat for blue water cruising, scheduled with the tradewinds going wherever I want. You could still do some coastal cruising, as long as you were careful with the navigation.

Coming into a remote inlet in this boat I think I'd lower the dinghy and check for a clear channel before blundering onto a sandbar or rock.
Wouldn't want to bump her lovely bottom or that prop! I'm such a maroon I'd probably run aground at high tide.

That's a great classic bike- those brit bikes with pre unit-construction engines and rigid frames just look right. :thumb:

Last edited:
A new entry for the nautical terminology dictionary. Love it. :thumb:
.. I'm finally somebody.. :blush:

We have a similar word used among guitar players,
"I'm really gassin' on this new amp, man"

But nobody wants you gassin' on their new boat. :D

I have a Nordhavn 62, which I absolutely love,,,but I must admit, I have always had and always will have an affection for the Nordhavn 56MS. I wish Nordhavn would make/sell more of these. Motorsailors just make sense. However, I will never own one, and for that I kinda feel sad. I love those boats.

Back
Top Bottom