Fake Teak Sole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
Has anyone used the faux teak for an exterior application? I am thinking about covering my cockpit sole. Maybe 50 sq ft.

That would be an injustice for your nice NT. I've seen some really*good gelcoat overlays that match what NT does in their cock pit non-skip areas.

If you're talking about Plas-Teak and similar, they work and look very good. I had explored using it to overlay my forward teak deck, but nobody could give me a good answer about adhesives to fasten it to real teak.

TG, true. Unfortunately it is a common problem and those that have had the areas recoated just get cracks again.

Assuming you cockpit sole is cored like some I've seen, properly sealing the core is required. Water intrusion into core can be easily checked by a percussion hammer - and someone who knows how to use it. If your core is ok, sealing it properly is certainly important. A combination of new supports, resin infusion into core voids, *FRP and regelcoating is the normal couse of action. Covering the gel coats cracks with faux teak will not fix the problem.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Friday 8th of January 2010 02:03:26 PM

IF traction is important , Treadmaster doesn't have the eye candy look of teak , but its great when the going gets ROUGH!

I can recommend Marinedeck 2000. It's a compressed cork compound which doesn't*really look like teak but is easy on the eye and the feet. Excellent grip both wet and dry and almost maintenance free. An occassional wash with a stiff brush and seawater is enough.

I've had this in the cockpit for*5 years of cruising and some concentrated fishing and it still looks as good as new!

www.stazo.com

Doc wrote:

Has anyone used the faux teak for an exterior application? I am thinking about covering my cockpit sole. Maybe 50 sq ft.
I presume you are referring to products like Flexiteek, and other similar products *made from recycled plastics.* I know from fellow marina people that it works well. *The only negative comments I have heard are, the cost, (because you really need to get it professionally laid as well to look really good), and the fact it can get very hot underfoot, unlike real teak and f/glass non-skid.

PB

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom