Ooooooooops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OFB

Guru
Vessel Name
Invader no1
Vessel Make
Kishi Boat works
Well after 12 years I finally bashed a hole through the bottom of the Livingston. No doubt I have been very tough on the little boat so its not that all a surprise. When getting ready for the long weekend trip I did choose to off load my epoxy and a few other goodies for working on the boat. I thought to myself prior there be no way I am going to work on the boat. :facepalm:

So the Livingston is unsinkable but holds a tonne of water doing that. Can not bail fast enough even with a 3 gallon pail. So its a bit of an issue with pup, beach activities, along with being a no go for the tow home. No place on deck for the 12 T and 35 hp outboard hangin off the back.

So pull it up onto the beach. Put back of boat onto log, so the transom is well off the ground and the hole is now exposed top and bottom.

Find an old cedar log up the beach and cut off the rite length with the chain saw. Then carve out a piece to fit the inside of the boat using the Arkinsas tooth pick. Then shredded, an old T shirt.

Using a nail and the axe I tapped a few screw holes through the bottom of the boat around the damage.

Then placed the T shirt material on the damage inside using a few layers. Placed the cedar over that and then placed the screws with washers up into the cedar from the bottom of the boat. Screwed them down to compress the T shirt material between the cedar and the good parts of the hull.

Pulled boat off log , waited for tide to come in and wa la. Good to go.

Now I get to epoxy a permanent fix this weekend.

Pleasure cruising :rofl:

Was a great labor day weekend for us here in the PNW. Its all good !!!!!

You do what you have to do when you have to do it. :thumb:

I love the "creative" side of boating!

Very resourceful. Hope you didn't have to ruin a perfectly good T-shirt. ;)

Well done - real woodsmans style. However OFB, how large was the hole..? Why I ask is that is the sort of thing which if it ever happened again, (or to anyone else reading this), you can get a Knead-It quick-setting, underwater type, epoxy stick, which might have been up to the task without all that logging, cutting, screwing, tee-shirt sacrificing, sort of thing. I always have a stick in my gear in case...just sayin'

Peter B
Yup I have a lot of different types of epoxy , epoxy sticks, JB weld, etc etc. All kinds of bonding , filling, structural , products in tubes and cans. Two rubber maids with a good selection of items for fixing, detailing, painting, the old boat.

But I was not going to work on the boat, so removed the "maids" for such things a lawn chairs, umbrella's, fold out tables. Even had some room left over.

Yup ya have too laugh.

The port side keel of the Livingston hull by the stern was crushed , cracked. About 4 inches long turning the structure around that into a glass mush. Easy to get a few fingers through. So not a big deal just a hole. In a bad place , places, spot etc.

You carry a chain saw on your boat??

Unique skill set

:lol:...........:blush:

Yup I have a unique skill set from years of experience being a cruiser in western Canada. I Like to be self reliant if at all possible and always willing to lend a hand , share.

For most this skill set these values seem to hold little value today.

For me and the odd guy out in no where land its price less. Where that Master Card holds little value.

Is what it is.

I am old and outa touch with todays "reality" so it seems.

Peter B
Yup I have a lot of different types of epoxy , epoxy sticks, JB weld, etc etc. All kinds of bonding , filling, structural , products in tubes and cans. Two rubber maids with a good selection of items for fixing, detailing, painting, the old boat.

But I was not going to work on the boat, so removed the "maids" for such things a lawn chairs, umbrella's, fold out tables. Even had some room left over.

Yup ya have too laugh.

Yup two of them.
Sorry, don't mean to laugh esp. at your expense but I just think it's humorous you took off the boat repair stuff because you weren't going to work on the boat but you left on not 1 but 2 chain saws.... :whistling:

;)

It always seems to work with me the best time for me to need a tool/spare part or even a file is the day after I throw it away...

That's exactly what I was laughing at but of course you expressed yourself much more clearly which is a good example of why you get the big money! :blush:

That's exactly what I was laughing at but of course you expressed yourself much more clearly which is a good example of why you get the big money! :blush:

Actually the tittle should be another cruise with dumb azz. :rofl:

The chain saw , the leaving behind the fix material is funny !:facepalm:

But I sure wish I had captured the look on the couples face in the canoe going by when I was taking the axe and concrete nail to the bottom of the boat.:D

Greetings,
Mr OFB. "Tittle"? Are you referring to post #6 in the Ahoy All thread by any chance?

Instead of OOOOOOOOOOPS

It should read

Another cruise with dumb azz.

Two chain saws , but no duct tape?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom