Loran is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
The whole question of the future of Loran-C apparently became moot today when the USCG announced that, due to cost cutting, the entire Loran network will be shut down starting on February 8, 2010.* After that date, the USCG said in its news release, Loran would no longer be suitable for navigation and the few remaining people who use it will have to switch to GPS.* Now I'll have to figure out what to put in the console hole that is currently occupied by the Furuno Loran-C unit that came with the boat.....

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of January 2010 05:21:45 PM

Marin wrote:

The whole question of the future of Loran-C apparently became moot today when the USCG announced that, due to cost cutting, the entire Loran network will be shut down starting on February 8, 2010.**
WASHINGTON The Coast Guard's Director of Prevention Policy announced Thursday publication in the Federal Register of the Record of Decision to decommission the Loran-C program and terminate the North American Loran-C signal.

Guess the loran goes on the museum shelf with my old Magnavox Sat Nav.

... And your BetaMax video recorder

In the PNW this issue continues to get interesting as Canada and Russia support Loran. Lest we forget, there is a world beyond the eastern US shores.

Oh, they'll just shut it down, then find that it has lots of uses and spend hundreds of millions to re-commission it. I bet the folks who will do that were behind the de-commissioning.

AM keeping my Sailor MDF aboard ,and it has the frequencies for Consolan ,

which will be the fastest to get on line if there is an EMP.

Might be a good idea to upgrade to a good deep depth sounder , and think of contour nav again.

With of course updated real paper charts.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom