Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would suit me to a "T". I'm on my 3rd Prius since 2007 (I lease my cars) and love them! BTW, I don't add water to my hybrid battery either, Must be an AGM? (of sorts)
Probably not AGM as the weight to amp hours isn't good. More likely they are NiMh or Li-ion.

Guess hybrids are good for city driving. I'm a highway driver, and nothing beats the simplicity (reliability) and fuel efficiency of a good diesel vehicle (IMO).

Ted

I agree. Most of it is advertising hype, very good hype too. Taking a step back, the logic of buying a 2 or 3X the cost battery to do essentially the same job with about the same longevity is a great marketing success.

if your batteries are boiling off water maybe it is not the battery. Check for overfilling or a bad charger.
-------------------
I am with you guys. I service my wet cell batteries on a schedule twice per year. At the end of boating season in October I inspect the battery terminals and check the water. In April just before Lingcod season, I clean the terminals, cable connections and check the water. I added no water this year. Most of my maintenance time on the batteries is terminal connections.

If you are adding water on a weekly or monthly basis then there is a problem in your battery or charging system. Most likely an overcharge situation or your drawing down your batteries too hard.

Before I installed a Xantrex smart charger with a remote monitoring panel(years ago), that was the case for me too. I used a lot of battery water due to constant overcharging and my batteries would last 4 - 5 year if I was lucky. The smart charger system is left on 24 - 7, it's off switch is the panel circuit breaker. Never turning it off prevents accidental discharge and it never overcharges.

The bottom line, If your batteries don't last 7 or 8 years minimum, then there is something wrong with your battery system.

Baker,
look around at truck equipment dealers that are battery wholesalers. they might not have the AGM marine battery on the shelf but they can get them very easily. Truck guys have not yet learned that you can stick a picture of an anchor on something and charge double. My boat came with Deka AGM's when i bought it 7 years ago and I have had no problem with them. My last boat had wet cells and they lasted about three years on average. in the last boat the batteries were under the cockpit so i did not worry about gas. This boat has them under the salon so i do worry about gas.
Johnma
2003 MS 390

I installed six Trojan 105 Plus golf cart batteries for my house bank on the 10th of July, 2007, which now makes them over seven years old. I tested their charge this week with an hygrometer (I'm laying the San Simone up for the winter) and found each and every cell to be in excellent condition. The gravities were all essentially in the "New" range.
I attribute this to having installed a 12 volt Powerpulse unit on each set of two - six volt batteries. This pulse technology is now being employed by the US Army for their fleet. Expectations are to at least double battery life... I'll let you know how it works out in another fifteen years!

See this site for how the unit works...
http://www.pulsetech.net/Content/Our-Technology/Pulse-Technology.aspx

BW

I installed six Trojan 105 Plus golf cart batteries for my house bank on the 10th of July, 2007, which now makes them over seven years old. I tested their charge this week with an hygrometer (I'm laying the San Simone up for the winter) and found each and every cell to be in excellent condition. The gravities were all essentially in the "New" range.
I attribute this to having installed a 12 volt Powerpulse unit on each set of two - six volt batteries. This pulse technology is now being employed by the US Army for their fleet. Expectations are to at least double battery life... I'll let you know how it works out in another fifteen years!

See this site for how the unit works...
http://www.pulsetech.net/Content/Our-Technology/Pulse-Technology.aspx

BW

Which one of the pulse tech units are you using and what do you know about the solar units

I had to replace my batteries two years ago and opted to go with the Lifeline AGM L-16s because they gave me what I wanted out of my batteries - the largest pile of amp hours available, so I could run my genset less. I can use 700ah before starting the genset and when I do, the two inverters can both pump 120amps back in. The higher charging rate and less maintenance were wins for me. I still check the connections regularly (monthly) and IR temp check them most times I am in the engine room checking other items.

I've a 1998 NAPA 27 starter batt on 7.5 Kohler genset... charged by solar panel along with genset generator when its running. A 2005 NAPA 27 starter batt in o/b runabout. 4 2010 31 deep cell Battery Plus batts as house bank and twin screw engine starters. A 2010 Battery Plus combo marine batt held completely separate and fully charged as on board spare in its own black batt box... all wet cell.

I check the water levels once per year. Occasionally a little distilled is needed.

Never let the deep cells go below 50% charge. Never let the "distilled" water get too low. Never over charge wet cell batts for more than an hour.

Wet cell works real well at affordable cost :thumb:... IMHO - Jus Sayen!

Last edited:

BW

I changed out my four, seven year old Trojan 105 this week. I found one cell dead so I figure they were due for replacement. Take a look at the positive terminal post and see if it has swelled and is bulging the top casing.
I put eight 235 amp-hr Crown batteries in. I now have a big bank at 940 amp-hrs.

Moonstruck has AGM batteries, and I like'm.:thumb:

Siesta Key,

I am using the 12 volt units. Cheap effective, work on more than one battery at a time.

I have never understood why anyone north of 41 40" would use a solar panel in the first place. Electrical consumption for the Powerpulse unit is minimal at best, but it runs day and night, sun or shade, unlike a solar panel. Solar panel users will also drive a Prius, which makes their whole value equation suspect to start with. Maybe they feel better about themselves. British Columbia is part of the True North after all...

If the US Army has decided to put Powerpulse units on every battery they own, then maybe, just maybe, they're on to something. If the Navy did it, then we'd all accept it as Gospel.

San Simone

Fryedaze,

Each of the positive (and negative for that matter) terminals are all normal.

There are few boats more beautiful than a Monk 42... is it wood by any chance?

San Simone

Fryedaze,

Each of the positive (and negative for that matter) terminals are all normal.

There are few boats more beautiful than a Monk 42... is it wood by any chance?

San Simone

No she is a 1989 and glass.

See the error in my new battery connection setup?

Attachments

• 0903131750.jpg
    0903131750.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 114
My house bank is needs replaced. It consist of four 6 volt golf carts Exides I think . Would four new Trojan t105 be a decent choice and does 115$ each sound about right?

$115 sounds like a good price. I just put in eight Crown 6volt 235 Amp-hr batteries last week. I did some research and found some reviews stating the Crowns were out lasting the Trojans. The Crown CR235 cost me $109.

I also look for value in a battery, but I probably define value differently than most.

The Rolls flooded cell batteries we installed in our old boat (after fussing around swapping out the 8D's a few times) were still running strong the day we sold the boat, about 9 years after putting them in. When we replaced the batteries on our new (to us) boat, we stepped right up for two Rolls 8D. The initial price is pretty high. If you figure out that you will likely replace even a decent quality but lesser battery 2-3 times during the life of a Rolls and that as the years go by you will be (assuming your experience is like mine) a bit older, a bit weaker, and a bit less inclined to spend thousands of dollars at the chiropractor's you also save the cost of installation.

I see batteries with warranties as short as 24 months, and even then they are often prorated. If a 24-month prorated battery fails after a year, you only get half your money back when you buy another battery. Rolls are warranted for 10 years, and the first 7 of those years are a full-replacement, non prorated warranty.

Of course, if you tend to trade boats every couple of years it would be hard to recommend the Rolls. You will never get your money's worth out of them unless you keep the boat. I am not sure most buyers would pay more for a Rolls at resale time than for just a Sears Die Hard or K Mart special, as long as the batteries are working.

No she is a 1989 and glass.

It's my understanding that you want the power leads to come off opposite ends of the bank. It's supposed to make a difference, but I wonder how much.

Ted

No cutouts in the battery box for leads to pass through?

Tough access to a couple of battery caps?

Nice job on the cables...very tidy and precise.

I also look for value in a battery, but I probably define value differently than most.

The Rolls flooded cell batteries we installed in our old boat (after fussing around swapping out the 8D's a few times) were still running strong the day we sold the boat, about 9 years after putting them in. When we replaced the batteries on our new (to us) boat, we stepped right up for two Rolls 8D. The initial price is pretty high. If you figure out that you will likely replace even a decent quality but lesser battery 2-3 times during the life of a Rolls and that as the years go by you will be (assuming your experience is like mine) a bit older, a bit weaker, and a bit less inclined to spend thousands of dollars at the chiropractor's you also save the cost of installation.

I see batteries with warranties as short as 24 months, and even then they are often prorated. If a 24-month prorated battery fails after a year, you only get half your money back when you buy another battery. Rolls are warranted for 10 years, and the first 7 of those years are a full-replacement, non prorated warranty.

Of course, if you tend to trade boats every couple of years it would be hard to recommend the Rolls. You will never get your money's worth out of them unless you keep the boat. I am not sure most buyers would pay more for a Rolls at resale time than for just a Sears Die Hard or K Mart special, as long as the batteries are working.

When my 2 year old house bank is in need of replacing I'm going to look seriously at the rolls battereis.

Much of the time buying someting that lasts longer is cheaper in the long run.

My house bank is cooked and needs replaced . It consist of 4 six volt golf cart batteries. What is the main reason some use 6 volt golf carts instead of a couple of 12 volts ?

My house bank is cooked and needs replaced . It consist of 4 six volt golf cart batteries. What is the main reason some use 6 volt golf carts instead of a couple of 12 volts ?

Easier to change out. 65 lbs vs 165 lbs for and 8D.

Fryedaze, did you post your error answer for the photo yet?
No
The error was the load side cables are both on the one side of the bank. According to some research I did this arrangement will unevenly load the batteries. The two batterie that the Pos and neg load cables are connected to will see the highest amp draw while the amp draw will get progressively lower as you get farther away.

I will be changing the positive load cable to the opposite end of the bank that the neg is connected to.

Batteries designed for golf cart use are also intended for a very large number of deeply discharged cycles. Batteries that can withstand numerous deep discharges and recharges without destroying the internal plates will always be a good choice for a house bank.

Golf carts are a major user of deep cycle batteries. Economy of scale allows a somewhat lower price for the 6 volt then the equivalent 12 volt battery in deep cycle.

Also many boaters are no longer as young as they use to be and the lighter weight of the 6 volt batteries allows us to move them when necessary.

Marty

Back
Top Bottom