Sea sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Next chapter

This summer my girlfriend and I headed south from Boston in my MarineTrader 43, things where going great when we stayed on the inside. As soon as we went outside into some waves she would get sea sick. We bought a bigger boat at the end of summer; a Hatteras MY 53, stabilized. She was fine as long as we were on the inside, when we crossed the gulf, again she was violently ill all day and most of the night. We Tried sea bands and over the counter pills, nothing seemed to help. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She really enjoys this boating "thing" other than the open water issue of sea sickness.

And you wonder why I've stayed within the SF estuary while on small boats? (Fifty-something-foot boats are small.) I'll happily ride a nine-hundred-footer in the open seas.

Last edited:
In my experience, the commonest case of seasickness, apart from it becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy in those who suffer it, and therefore not only expect it but almost look for it, is their efforts to fight the motion rather than to wedge themselves in some comfortable place and just 'go with the flow', so their muscles are not constantly sending confusing signals to the brain. That is why I don't advocate the traditional advice of going topsides and getting in "fresh air and where they can see the horizon". Firstly, the air up there is no fresher, and being on their feet, even holding a rail, just magnifies the need to try and fight the motion, usually accompanied by heaving up over said rail.
Anti-emetics can help a little, but adopting the above approach, and just getting sea miles under the wheels, so to speak, seems to be the most successful way.
As a medico, that is how I advise people who come out with us, and it works. I also practice it myself when things get really rough, as I don't have a cast iron stomach myself, unlike my father who was one of those who never got seasick.
Taking him out fishing was a delight, as if anything it was sometimes me who had to quit fishing for a bit and have a brief lie down.

I am sure you will try all the medical remedies. Next time you are crossing the gulf put her at the helm. It anchors her, requires her to look outside the boat and keeps her mind occupied. Any one of these may reduce the tendency for seasickness.

Marty

Usaually people who get seasick fall into 2 groups.

Some that adjust to it...a very distasteful way of getting there and usually only people who HAVE to go by choice of job.

The other group really never gets over it, but copes with drugs. One of the most successful is the Scopolamine patch (prescription with some nasty side effects) and the other is a combo approach of an antihistamine and something else I can't remember (also prescription I think)

Most people don't have luck with all the "other" types...but some do so it's hard not to try them...some include all forms of ginger including ginger ale, acupressure bands, over the counter meds, wrist buzzers for lack of a better description...etc, etc..none of these work on everyone or all the time...so they get lumped into the "snake oil" category by most experienced people that go to sea.

Having gone to sea with thousands of people on USCG Cutters I pretty much heard of and saw the results of every known "possible cure" .

I am sure you will try all the medical remedies. Next time you are crossing the gulf put her at the helm. It anchors her, requires her to look outside the boat and keeps her mind occupied. Any one of these may reduce the tendency for seasickness.

Marty

:thumb::thumb: This is the best cure, let her drive, works every time!

If it were only true.....it would save a lot of jobs and relationships...:thumb:

..... apart from it becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy in those who suffer it, and therefore not only expect it but almost look for it............
That was me about 20 years ago. I looked for it and expected it and it didn't disappoint. I tried everything under the sun with no success. Putting on miles at sea, while at the helm, seemed to be the solution and, of course, a desire to do the cruising thing. :blush:

I have had issues with sea sickness all my life so I can give you my experiences first hand. Without a doubt being at the helm underway is the best place to be if you are not on medication. For me the Scopolamine patch and especially the Scopolamine pill cant be beat. unfortunately the pill is no longer available as they no longer manufacture it. I prefer the pill as you can wait and use it if you feel the onset of sea sickness as it works quickly. I find that I run unmedicated far less as you can wait and see what conditions are before taking it where the patch you need to have it in place for several hours for it to take effect. You can also manage the dose unlike the patch which is much stronger than I need and increases the side effects significantly. (dry, dry mouth and nose. blurred vision) On the patch or pill I can work on deck, in the engine room and fish in just about any sea condition. I have read that you can have a compounding pharmacy make the pill and is what I will be checking into for next year as my supply of pills is dwindling. The pill or patch is by prescription only.

While we are on the subject of Mal De Mer, here is more . . . .

All in your head? Maybe:
NASA Mind Training Tackles Motion Sickness : Discovery News : Discovery News

OK, you just knew this one was coming:
Medical Marijuana Motion Sickness Treatments | Cannabis Symptom Relief

ReliefBand:
ReliefBand: Best Motion Sickness Remedy Yet

Actually, I have had pretty good luck with ReliefBands both in the air and on the water. I bought enough for the crew and passengers and have yet to see anyone who did not experience a reduction in symptoms or total relief from motion sickness. I first heard about them from an astronaut and did some of my own research. I still thought they were "snake oil" until I saw them work first hand. Placebo? Maybe. Mind-over-matter? Perhaps. Who cares if they work?

Initially, they were available without a prescription and had replaceable batteries. A few years ago, they were pulled from the market and replaced by a "prescription-only" version marketed for various illnesses where a reduction in nausea was desired. They greatly increased the price and made them single-use. Sometimes you can find the originals, new or used, on eBay.

All I can say is do your own research, and if you like what you see, give them a try. They worked for my guests and even me a time or two.:thumb:

LarryM
m/v Boomarang

We carry bottles of Reid's Ginger Beer for makin' "Dark and Stormys." Works like a charm.

I've only been seasick once . . . after an all-nighter of heavy eating and drinking, as we were leaving Narragansett Bay for Bermuda at sunrise. The first few swells had me projectile vomiting like I was auditioning for the part of a cannon in "Master and Commander." Every other time I've felt a twinge, scopolamine has worked like a charm.

I highly recommend her asking her doctor for a prescription for Zofran. It is an anti nausea drug for chemo patients. Start taking it the day prior. We had one crew member who would get really sick and that was the only thing that helped him. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a pharmacist and who gets violently ill if she does not take it. Give it a try!! Oh I should mention nobody I know who's tried it had any noticeable side effects.

Anchored fishing near a reef, vomit is handy as a burley to attract fish :eek:.
A friend takes the usual over counter medication, curls up in the saloon and dozes while we are offshore, and copes fine.
Racing on a sailboat as forehead hand, I often felt lousy down below packing the spinnaker as we bashed to windward, but was fine instantly back on deck.
Another friend brought and nibbled onboard a knob of fresh ginger. Not a great success, ginger tablets are better.

Last edited:
Had a filter plug while crossing the Straits of Georga in rough seas. Decided to change the filter out while we continued the crossing on the other engine.

Everything was fine until I cracked that filter canister open and dumped the filter and diesel into a pan. The combination of those diesel fumes, 100 degree engine room, and rocking and rolling in a windowless space just about did it for me!! :eek:

I had that new filter on and primed in record time and was out of there!! Probably took 20 minutes to regain my composure afterwards.

:thumb::thumb: This is the best cure, let her drive, works every time!

Only true if she can wedge herself comfortably in a helm chair so she can ride with the movement of the vessel, (not dissimilar in a way to a good horse rider, totally in synch with the animals movement) - so it is on a boat, rather than fighting it all the time, so standing at the wheel in these conditions a real no-no. See my post above for more detailed reasons. I'm sure Walt would agree on that if he thinks carefully about what worked for him.

I highly recommend her asking her doctor for a prescription for Zofran. It is an anti nausea drug for chemo patients. Start taking it the day prior. We had one crew member who would get really sick and that was the only thing that helped him. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a pharmacist and who gets violently ill if she does not take it. Give it a try!! Oh I should mention nobody I know who's tried it had any noticeable side effects.
Yes, from experience with patients post chemo, Zofran is quite effective and well tolerated as an anti-emetic, and certainly worth trying, for seasickness if you can get it. It is prescription only in most countries I would expect. Preferably taken as well as trying the tactics I outlined above until confidence is gained, if it is someone likely to be going boating often. For the occasional sailor just going along for the ride - whatever works, I guess.

Regular sailors, even hotshots crewing in major offshore races can get sick initially after a layoff, there is definitely something in getting accustomed, or as Pete says, in gaining confidence.
Pete, assuming an organic cause, what is the mechanism? I always thought it was some inner ear or vestibular disturbance. It may help suffers to know.

....so standing at the wheel in these conditions is a real no-no. I'm sure Walt would agree on that if he thinks carefully about what worked for him.
:iagree:but this is what you wrote that I'm convinced was my problem.

"..... "the commonest case of seasickness, apart from it becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy in those who suffer it, and therefore not only expect it but almost look for it," (In other words, a lot of it is mental.)

I don't expect it anymore and have been totally fine while other guys that I've fished with on charter boats are shouting "buick" over the side.:blush:

Last edited:
Yes, you are right Walt, the mental expectation starts the 'rot', if you like, but to answer Bruce, it appears the real physical part is overload of the balance part of the brain from the motion/position sensors in the semicircular canals of the vestibular apparatus, or inner ear mechanism, (affected mainly by gravity, and the accelerations of motion), added to by a mismatch between what the eyes are telling the brain to expect, versus what it actually receives.
It for this reason that the best way to avoid this confusing overload, which just ends up getting the stomach so churned up it just "spits the dummy", is by cutting out as much confusing signal as possible. Hence the suggestion of wedging oneself in a position where you just ride the motion of the boat, which fits with what the eyes are preparing one for, if watching, but allows the muscles to relax, and not try to adjust position with every little movement, which they otherwise try to do to maintain balance. That is why the skipper sitting up like Jacky firmly fixed in the helm chair is less likely to experience it than anyone else on board. However, wedging oneself in a corner of the saloon, or wedging oneself in a bunk, so constant muscular compensation is not required has a similar effect. This is why so many people who are seasick just want to lie down - that is the body telling them what it wants to do to try and achieve the same result - a decrease in sensory overload. So-called fresh air and looking at the horizon, if not achieving this sensory reduction, just does not work.
The various anti-emetic medications mentioned by others work to some extent, by damping down the brain's reception of this sensory overload - but at the price of often making one drowsy. Certainly not good if you are the skipper.

Last edited:
The real bottom line is no one thing will work for everyone...

Multiple studies suggest that because most tests are done in laboratory spin chairs or hydraulic motion simulators...they never come close to the realities of being at sea. So even "experts" in multiple studies won't say all the "snake oil" things like wrist bands, ginger, etc do or don't work because they work some of the time on some of the people.

One interesting article on posture and motion sickness, if I read it correctly...seems to say that swaying with the motion or fighting it seems to have different effects, again depending on all the variables...

"Visually Induced Motion Sickness Predicted by Postural Instability" by Smart, L. James, Jr.; Stoffregen, Thomas A.; Bardy, Benoit G. - Human Factors, Vol. 44, Issue 3, Fall 2002 | Questia, Your Online Research Library

The NASA research seems to split the population up into about 1/3s. 1/3 naturally immune, 1/3 able to be acclimated by varying amounts of exposure/training and 1/3 who are always going to be somewhat affected.

Funny, I pretty much never get sick when I am driving, though it can really get me if I'm not running the boat. I do the best though when I stand up, much better than sitting. I've spent a lot of time running boats from a standing position though, so I feel like I 'go with the flow" a lot better that way than sitting down locked in.

A lot of it is in your head (and by your head I mean my head). I was a fly fishing guide for 12 years in an 18' flats boat. Mostly I fished tarpon, for which in this area you anchor on the edge of a bar in open water where there is a nice drop off from say 3' to 20'. Any sort of swell will really stand up right in the best spot to fish. As long as I was on the poling platform (a 4' high platform over the transom for those of you from the PNW where there are no fish)where I spent 99% of my time I had no issues. But if I moved to the bow I was in trouble.

There is not really much motion difference between the bow and stern of a 1000 lb. 18' boat with a 6" draft in rough seas, so I know it was mental.

There is not really much motion difference between the bow and stern of a 1000 lb. 18' boat with a 6" draft in rough seas, so I know it was mental.
To follow up on my experience with sea sickness.... I use to dread the possibility of getting sick & of course, I did, right on que. After feeding the fish I was fine! Same seas, more hours...no problem. I pondered this for a few years and decided (in my case anyway) that it was nerves, brought on with my preoccupation of thinking about getting sick. I tried Benadryl once but I absolutely could not stay awake! In my opinion there's nothing worse than a bad case of sea sickness. You will do anything (including jumping over the side) to get off the boat.

Although I believe it's mental, that doesn't explain why my grand son got sick on the boat when he was just a baby. It wasn't mental in his case.:blush:

Last edited:
I have been fishing 200-350 miles offshore off the West coast of Mexico and taken friends who proclaimed to be vomit proof. Well......they weren't and I used a product sold over the counter in MX called Stugeron. It is also a chemo anti nausea med and taken in small dosed started the day before a trip it keeps my crew upright. If you have friends vacationing in MX just ask them to bring you some home. Cost is around $15 for 200 doses. Just google it and you will find recommended dosages by other boaters. For this med I have found less to be more.

Back
Top Bottom