Starting the New Year with a Bang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon

Vessel Name
Isle of Skye
Vessel Make
Bruckmann trawler
Getting cold in Kemah with more artic weather on the way, so with my 4 year old grandson, and my wife, we left* at dawn and then, just after entering the Intra coastal I got slammed by a tow.
Brief synopsis, I was just moving a little faster than an east bound tow, so I called him and asked if I could come past him on the 2. He OK'd and then with a differential of only 0.5 mph I crept by him. There was an oncoming light boat so I favoured the tow I was passing ( probably a liitle too close as events transpired). I heard someone calling my tow telling him he was getting thin and all of a sudden he accelerated and turned to port, went up my starboard side then when I started calling he slowed down and came back down the side. The scariest thing was watching the bow of the lead barge knock off my courtesy flagpole which I have fastened to the forward stanchion, and NOT being able to turn away to port.* He stopped and I got down into the bilges to check for water but that was ok. Damage consirted of some crushing and scraping of the outside edge of the europa bridge, a 4" X 4'' oak midship bitt punched out, and 2 folded stanchions. My grandson was upset 'cos the impact scattered all his dominoes onto the salon floor.
The coasties visited, did a safety inspection (my first) and wrote up the accident and we proceeded east to Taylors Outfall.
Lessons learned -
Careful with differential speed in tight channels.
15 feet ain't enough clearance
tows with empty barges can move faster than a snake
Tows with empty barges can easily lose sight of you when you get to the third barge.
Once you get pinned up against the side of a barge the only thing you can do is not get too far ahead and get under that bow - you can't turn away (or at least I couldn't)
In an argument between a bottle and a rock, the bottle loses EVERY time.
Jon

Wow.
** Stroke of luck that was. That no one was hurt. *Glad all is well.

SD

That's scary! I go up and down that area a lot. There's one tug that actually will pass me with two loaded barges...he travels at about 9 knots! Siever's cut is always iffy for passing or even meeting situations. You're right... I call it the "rule of gross tonnage". The big guy always wins and steel trumps fiberglass every time.

What did Cap't Ron say?

The'll get out of the way.

SD

Yea, but Captain Ron was at the helm of the Saratoga!!

Managed to chisel fair the broken stump of my midship bitt, and the dockmaster at Houma gave me a lift to Lowes to get some 1/2" birch ply so as soon as it warms up to allow the resin to work underway, restoration will commence!
I'll probably replace the bitt with a galvanised dock cleat on 3 layers of 1/2" , 2 resined on to the outer fibreglass shell and1 transverse over those 2 and resined on to the inside of the bulwark.
The original bitt looks to be a very heavy oak 4" X4'' actual.. Any ideas on a replacement?
Jon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom