Oriental to Wrightsville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Onslow Bridge was super slow, the mechanism must be getting very old. I asked the bridge tender who said it had slowed even more over the past couple years...

image-4096872590.jpg

Topsail and Wrightsville bridges open on the top of the hour. Figure 8 opens on on the top and the half.

Thanks Tom, did not know Topsail was the full hour. Unusual. Will have to start plotting before I refuel.

Looks plausible that some amphib vehicle may have sunk there...there's a road and ramp just off the southern creek nearby and that would be the route to the beaches/ocean one would take.

Had to have just happened if it were a newer vehicle...otherwise I would think it would be recovered quickly...even if a target....the Marines would be on the hook to clear it by the ACOE pronto...interesting would love to hear the whole story.

The first report I read about it was dated 01August. Active Captain and Cruisersnet have it documented. Hopefully, they're picking it up.

Thanks Tom, did not know Topsail was the full hour. Unusual. Will have to start plotting before I refuel.

Should have read my note above! :eek: Surf City only on the hour. Surf City - Topsail = same thing.

Just giving you a hard time!:hide:

Should have read my note above! :eek: Surf City only on the hour. Surf City - Topsail = same thing.

Just giving you a hard time!:hide:

Haha I checked the bridges - Topsail is the 65 foot one! Hope it will open!!! :)

Fueled up at Sneads Ferry for $3.44 plus 7% tax. Got to see our troops in training. Figured the govt. might pick up my fuel bill since I've been so kind to them over the years! :). :)
No dice. :(

Dang.

image-1730235870.jpg

Got lunch too - oh boy!

Attachments

• image-3632822771.jpg
    image-3632822771.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3531552478.jpg
    image-3531552478.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 90
Haha I checked the bridges - Topsail is the 65 foot one! Hope it will open!!! :)

Right!! It's the Surf City Swing bridge you'll need to wait for.

Although I did totally forget about Figure 8. That is the one about an hour from WB.

Last edited:
What to do when it gets hot and boring...

1. Take pictures through the binoculars. This works!
2. Take pictures of the mile marker.
3. Download pictures of puppies and elicit cheap but sweet reactions from your daughters...
4. And of course, other boats...

image-3298034976.jpg

Attachments

• image-3067427559.jpg
    image-3067427559.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-842447102.jpg
    image-842447102.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image-445308187.jpg
    image-445308187.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 85
About 10 miles from Wrightsville now, sun out in full, Friday well underway. Looks like the Admirals paddle board delivery service is close to another successful run. Allman Brothers on the speakers, all good. All good.

image-476198520.jpg

Attachments

• image-1882679205.jpg
    image-1882679205.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3122892316.jpg
    image-3122892316.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1121894434.jpg
    image-1121894434.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 67
What's your average cruise speed?

About 7 knots

Yeah...I forgot you left at (an August) sunrise and are just getting there....;)

When I do that portion in mid December...it's hard to make that distance at 6.3 knots and sunrise to sunset...so we just overnight at the fuel stop there at Little River.:socool:

Yeah...I forgot you left at (an August) sunrise and are just getting there....;)

When I do that portion in mid December...it's hard to make that distance at 6.3 knots and sunrise to sunset...so we just overnight at the fuel stop there at Little River.:socool:

Well, because the Admiral was expecting me I was keeping speed up. She worked all day and wanted her play thing. Of course I mean the boat! :)

I'd probably drop about 300 RPMs normally and save fuel running about 6.5...

Pulled the boat in our neighborhood marina which holds mostly skiffs. Sand Castle was like Big Bertha in there.

I was asked a couple times how long would I be there....

image-1443102743.jpg

Ben, what engines do you have? I have the Cummins 110HP, and cruise around 1700 RPM.
Puts me around 7-8 knts... Really enjoyed following you on your journey.
Frank

Nice end to a long day. Cruised back north to Rich's Inlet where a bend in the flow makes a nice anchorage.

image-2586972370.jpg

Time for some chow!

Attachments

• image-3724553011.jpg
    image-3724553011.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 69
Ben, what engines do you have? I have the Cummins 110HP, and cruise around 1700 RPM.
Puts me around 7-8 knts... Really enjoyed following you on your journey.
Frank

Thanks Frank - I have a single Lehman 135. Run about 1900 RPMs. If I wasn't trying to push would have dialed back to 17-1750. Morehead to Wrightsville in 12 hours, bridges and fuel stop included.

Thanks Frank - I have a single Lehman 135. Run about 1900 RPMs. If I wasn't trying to push would have dialed back to 17-1750. Morehead to Wrightsville in 12 hours, bridges and fuel stop included.

Gosh, all the MT Sundeck's we looked at, none had a single engine in them. So
far I am happy with the twins. Seems to do real good on fuel.
Thanks again,
Frank

Ready for the Bridge run?? :) Onslow and Wrightsville Beach open on the half hours and Surf City only on the hour. The run from Surf City to WB is about an hour, but WB is about 22 ft. We made it under that one with the antenna down.

Also be on the look out for Onslow area military live firing warning signs.

I hate that Debbie is missing this trip! It's really cool!

Hi Bess!

I was just looking back on this thread - Surf City is a pretty ridiculous bridge. Only opens on the hour and is dog slow. I actually can make it under Wrightsville Beach bridge! Great trip!

Stay on the red side of most f those little cuts if you can anyway...shoaling is usually as much of a problem...hard to believe something that big, valuable, obstructing and necessary for a safety investigation hasn't been removed....wonder what it really is...

I did and with no issues. I posted on Cruisers Net about it, there was a tug/barge there - I assumed to pick up the tank, but saw no evidence of that, so I now believe they were stuck on the tank as well. Tried to hail them but no response.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom