Oriental to Wrightsville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben

Guru
Vessel Name
Silver Lining
Vessel Make
Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Okay so today I am running our Trawler from Oriental North Carolina down to Wrightsville Beach North Carolina and it's gonna take about 15 hours. I'm going to do the trip solo so if you want to follow along enjoy and give me any helpful hints and I'll text in any any helpful observations.

Tonight's journey will be from Oriental to Morehead city If all goes well. I'm using speech to text on my phone so if I have some bad grammatical mistakes just because I'm keeping my eyes on the road.

I had not intended to go solo but my friends wife hurt her back today and he won't be able to Make the trip. If I can leave Oriental by about 530 I'll probably make it Ruddy duck in time to watch a little football and have a beer. That's the plan anyway if the gods of diesel and current are with me.

So this part of the trip I'm on a long boring highway 17 from Wilmington to Newbern and I will post a few pictures from the road if I'm horribly bored which I'm sure I will be and but not too many till I get the Oriental tonight at about 530.

Once on board our trawler Sand Castle I'll turn on the AIS so you can follow along.

image-3513748687.jpg

I love that run...last time I did it I had a high pressure fuel leak in the middle of a tornado warning...:eek:...just North of the Seagate marina.

ah..the fond memories of boating...:thumb:

Last edited:
Argh don't even say that! it's starting to rain now and I haven't reached the boat yet...

image-3162122678.jpg

Interesting photo. Your trawler does not draw much water, huh? :)

Oriental in the aft view now. Windy pull out, seems like about 10-15 kts. Overcast - ugh!

image-4081196657.jpg

Attachments

• image-2063161557.jpg
    image-2063161557.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 95
Neuse is full of big ole rollers abeam of me, which means walking around and tidying up the deck solo is not an option. If you like to follow look for Sand Castle on marinetraffic.com in eastern NC.

Argh don't even say that! it's starting to rain now and I haven't reached the boat yet...

View attachment 22493

You are reminding me of about a quarter of a million miles I put in driving the long, flat, two lane roads of East Carolina. I think I have seen every variety of tobacco barn that was ever built.

Not everyone has the night off tonight...

staticmap

image-3226670851.jpg

Sunset. Ah.

image-1227439067.jpg

Ben!! So excited for you and Sand Castle...and MIA crew for the new adventure! Sorry we weren't there to tend your lines! Safe Journey!!:thumb:

We'll see you in 4 to 6 months!

Ben: if you can get a berth at Sea Path in Wrightsville beach they are having a pig picking and party on Sunday night. Look us up were on A dock, safe travels.

Docked into Ruddy Duck. Single handed. Love adrenaline. Got my reward - Blue Moon in a Mason jar!

image-1583065595.jpg

Yessss.

Ben: if you can get a berth at Sea Path in Wrightsville beach they are having a pig picking and party on Sunday night. Look us up were on A dock, safe travels.

We're over in Lees Cut. Trying to figure out where I can squeeze the boat somewhere over there... It's tight. Just have to see tomorrow night when I get there... Thanks for the invite!

Ben!! So excited for you and Sand Castle...and MIA crew for the new adventure! Sorry we weren't there to tend your lines! Safe Journey!!:thumb:

We'll see you in 4 to 6 months!

Thanks Bess! We're still figuring where to berth
Ultimately. Probs got a low cost slip from a buddy long term - short term likely Federal Point.

Safe Travels and give the Admiral a hug from us!! We'll be heading towards Southport or Carolina Beach in January-February!

When you arrive let me know where your docked or if anchored and we will run the dink to fetch yah.

image-138897122.jpg

Up early, still plenty dark...

Ready for the Bridge run?? :) Onslow and Wrightsville Beach open on the half hours and Surf City only on the hour. The run from Surf City to WB is about an hour, but WB is about 22 ft. We made it under that one with the antenna down.

Also be on the look out for Onslow area military live firing warning signs.

I hate that Debbie is missing this trip! It's really cool!

Sun up :). Coffee's gotten cold :(

image-3006391782.jpg

Ready for the Bridge run?? :) Onslow and Wrightsville Beach open on the half hours and Surf City only on the hour. The run from Surf City to WB is about an hour, but WB is about 22 ft. We made it under that one with the antenna down.

Also be on the look out for Onslow area military live firing warning signs.

I hate that Debbie is missing this trip! It's really cool!

Mostly what I'm worried about is the submerged Army tank around marker Green-63 that people have torn up props and bent shafts on. It's referenced on Active Captain and Cruisersnet.net.

Worrisome!

Mostly what I'm worried about is the submerged Army tank around marker Green-63 that people have torn up props and bent shafts on. It's referenced on Active Captain and Cruisersnet.net.

Worrisome!

Stay on the red side of most f those little cuts if you can anyway...shoaling is usually as much of a problem...hard to believe something that big, valuable, obstructing and necessary for a safety investigation hasn't been removed....wonder what it really is...

Stay on the red side of most f those little cuts if you can anyway...shoaling is usually as much of a problem...hard to believe something that big, valuable, obstructing and necessary for a safety investigation hasn't been removed....wonder what it really is...

Yep, Red side seems to be echoed by others as well. Really don't imagine my glass boat and the Army's iron tank to be much of a love connection. Coming up on Swansboro now, wish I could stop, but best diesel price in Sneads Ferry, farther on down. Diesel around $3.50 there versus $4.00-$4.30 near Wilmington. Swansboro about ten cents higher than Sneads Ferry.

Attachments

• image-1288980512.jpg
    image-1288980512.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3921154473.jpg
    image-3921154473.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 84
Sneeds Ferry/New River marina is where I stop and fuel....best price I found along ICW...

Sneeds Ferry/New River marina is where I stop and fuel....best price I found along ICW...

Thanks! I called them before I reached Swansboro because Swansboro is also known for good fuel prices, they're open and I'm headed there now.

There have been reports of a submerged tank used for target practice around Green 63. When I arrived to this area I found the tug Island Tide holding station. I hailed them on 16 and 09, but heard no response. Apparently they are either marking the spot or preparing for salvage. Lots of old army APCs on shore in that area. I stayed to the red side as per warnings and had no incident in 6 feet of water going through.

image-2859180840.jpg

Ah, breakfast! I've had better. :)

Attachments

• image-3659153526.jpg
    image-3659153526.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-582734008.jpg
    image-582734008.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 85
Looks plausible that some amphib vehicle may have sunk there...there's a road and ramp just off the southern creek nearby and that would be the route to the beaches/ocean one would take.

Had to have just happened if it were a newer vehicle...otherwise I would think it would be recovered quickly...even if a target....the Marines would be on the hook to clear it by the ACOE pronto...interesting would love to hear the whole story.

Topsail and Wrightsville bridges open on the top of the hour. Figure 8 opens on on the top and the half.

Onslow Bridge. Tick tock tick tock tick tock.

image-3820283101.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom