Garmin 2110 Chartplotter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
In roaming around the net I have seen this unit on sale for +/- $400 at several sites, for a unit that originally listed for over $2000.* I realize it's not the latest version, but with a 10" screen and the Garmin name it sounds like a great deal.

I already have a smaller Garmin plotter on my flybridge but never had one at the lower helm.* Any comments?

Don't know anything about Garmin's marine stuff as we use Furuno but I will say that a 10" screen is better than a smaller one. We bought a 7" Furuno NavNet VX2 because the 10" version, as much as we preferred it, would not fit on the very clever overhead retractable mount a previous owner had installed. Fortunately this mount places the NavNet very close to the helmsperson so the 7" screen has not proven to be a detriment. But even in this position, the 10" screen would have been nicer.

So regardless of what you might get, I would suggest going with a decent size screen like the 10" on the unit you're contemplating.

One thing to make sure of is that this out-of-production Garmin is still supported with whatever chart cards or chart software it uses. I have read this can be a problem with Garmin and other manufacturers--- once a unit is out of production the data it uses is no longer available. So even for $400 you don't want to end up with a plotter that you can't load the relevant chart data for your area in.

And of course you want to make sure the kind of chart data it uses is one that you like. Our two plotters both use C-Map, which are vector charts. I much prefer this type of chart to a raster chart which is in essence just a picture of a paper chart. But a lot of people prefer raster charts. And some of the newer plotters can display both.

As to having a plotter at the lower helm, since we only run our boat from this station, that's where our plotters and radar display units are. We have a handheld C-Map GPS plotter that we can mount on the flying bridge if we run from up there, but we virtually never do. But if weather or whatever sometimes dictates that you run from the lower helm, then having a plotter down there would be handy I would think.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 13th of January 2010 01:54:04 PM

Just checked Garmin's web site for specs. It lookl like the 2110 is a "non network" version of the 3110. These are Garmins first generation of "New"
multifunction displays. The 2110 looks like it would be a great GPS/Char plotter if that is all you need. The drawback is that it can not expand to the Garmin network to use it for Radar, WX data link ect. The 3110 is a network
unit however. I was looking to go with the 3110 series when I get the boat done but by now they are on the 3rd or 4th generation of multi function displays. (MFD's). If all you need is a GPS the 2110 would be a great unit. I work in aircraft electronics and Garmin is one of the TOP DOGS in the industry. They make some great Avionics and their reliability and support is tops. If you go with the network versions, you can link them so you only need one data card and anything you load into one automatically transfers to the other unit ect. A nice feature if you have 2 helm stations. I don't work for Garmin just deal with their aviation products.
Hope this helps your decision.
Bill

I have had a Garmin 2006 for 7 years.* It's much like the 2110 only the screen is smaller.* The 2110 also accepts the newer g2 version of the Bluechart chips.

The 2006 is a terrific plotter - bright sharp screen, and super intuitive and easy to use.* Others I've played with (and the much newer Lowrance at my upper helm) are way clumsy and confusing in comparison.* Three Bluechart chips cover the Inside Passage all the way up to Skagway.

If you can't find out what level the firmware is in the unit you're considering (per the Garmin website v2.70 July 2009 is current) it might be a good idea to call Garmin tech support at 800-800-1020 and see if they still make available updates via a Bluechart chip.* For mine, I order the update chip for $50, use it to update the internal SW, and then send it back for a refund.

-- Edited by RCook on Thursday 14th of January 2010 07:59:10 AM

Unless I'm missing something I see that unit offered around $1,500 in all the stores I checked.

Where are you seeing it at that price?

Thanks.

I didn't see one at that link or anywhere at that site. The only ones I can find on Amazon are $1500.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Friday 15th of January 2010 06:19:39 AM

Wow.* I posted that link earlier this AM and already they pulled it down, and other sites with similar prices are showing "back-order" or not in stock.* And this in only two days.. I guess I was lucky to see the ad early enough to get one.

The Amazon store that shipped mine was Beach Audio, and I apparently got their last one -- for $432...** they are also now showing it "out of stock".

Sorry!* Keep looking, there might be a few left someplace in the system.* Google "Garmin 2110"* and see if any come available.

A friend was telling me about a sounder/GPS *that memorizes the bottom and creates a better picture of the bottom every time you use it.

Have you seen such an animal or ever heard of this.* He didn't know anything else about it.*

Sounds like a great idea to me.

SD

That is a good idea. *I have a radar detector(with built in GPS) that learns the false alarms and then blocks them out. *I don't know why a sounder couldn't "learn" bottom contours when coupled with GPS.

I was leaving out of WM today and noticed 4 boxes stacked on the floor. I inquired and was told they were a kit that included a Garmin 740s along with a HD radar. Around $2400 for the package I was told- but they were all being shipped back to Garmin because they had a "problem".
Has anyone looked into this package and any ideas on what problem they had? It was a good looking set up and had a price that seemed somewhat reachable.

Forkliftt wrote:

I was leaving out of WM today and noticed 4 boxes stacked on the floor. I inquired and was told they were a kit that included a Garmin 740s along with a HD radar. Around $2400 for the package I was told- but they were all being shipped back to Garmin because they had a "problem".
Has anyone looked into this package and any ideas on what problem they had? It was a good looking set up and had a price that seemed somewhat reachable.
<address>I just today got an email from Garmin on this but its on my office machine (am at home now). Something to do with radar overlay image not corresponding to chart? Or something similar. Garmin said it requires a hardware fix and you send the radar(?) unit to them for fix or, with credit card info, they will ship new unit to you and you send old one back to them. I have the 4xxx series and Garmin says it not an issue there. I would surmise that there is info on the Garmin site about this.
</address>

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 26th of July 2010 04:01:50 PM

Back
Top Bottom