Tidahapah Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Peter, Paravanes will still come into their own when just motoring, sitting at anchor and according to my mate still perform stirling service when sails are fully deployed.
Just getting the best out of both or a bit out of both is the key.
Should be a whole new learning curve.

Benn

WOW!
Looks so well balanced, like those masts were meant to be there from day one.
I agree! I had my doubts when you started this project but they are completely gone. Absolutely a terrific job. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Very nice! I would think that the para vanes would be used when the sails are up to keep the boat somewhat level/stable. Unless you have a lot ballast in the keel and bilge. I looked at installing sails on the Eagle, but the estimate was 20+ grand, the recommendation was adding more ballast and/or para vane. Well the para vanes are slowly in the works. I am semi retiring next year so I want the shop to make the poles, plates and stuff.

So did you win the Loto, inheriite, or rob a bank? :D

I think you better hurry and get those paravanes on before people start calling it a yacht.

Motor sailers are going to be the future here in the states as fuel prices continue to rise and people still wish to be on the water off on a new adventure

Nordhavn builds a great 56' motorsailer however it is out of the price range of most of us but if a builder could come up with a design that was efficient, cost effective and looked great it would be a winner, although I am told it is hard to mix both the sail and motor version into a craft that works well in either mode.

I looked for a good motor sailer before getting my Defever now I just have to close my eyes when pumping a 1000 gallons of fuel.

Must be the Scottish ancestry coming out.

Absolutely stunning! Great job!! I just love Motorsailors. : )

Phil Fill, No mate after retiring in 2006 and then back to work in 2008 after the GFC things are just coming together and it was time. Tidahapah is approaching 20 years old. The masts were in the initial plan when I built her so with a major refit I just did it.
My Nordhavn wasn't going to happen so looks like the beauty will be the lifetime vessel.
Am absolutely happy with the results and the set up , just have to learn to sail.
All sails are on furlers to keep it simple and I am still working on the paravane gear but I think with the help from my mate on Waverly I have it right.
I have attached a couple more photos , one of Tidahapah profile and you can see the furlers behind each mast and a couple of my mates fish and how he carries them in the calm.
He is on his way north and then across to the Louisades (Lucky bugger)

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9251.jpg
    IMG_9251.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6358.jpg
    IMG_6358.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Benn, Like the new pics! What a classic, well proportioned, balanced design. A credit to you as owner and custodian, and the guys who did the work.
Queensland state in Australia has more than its fair share of classic boats from the hands of great Australian designers.

You deserve Kudos on all your hard work and I am anxious to see her underway, she looks great and you should be proud.

(I can hear other Kiwi's from this side of the pond condoning me congratualting an Aussie, but heck some of my best mates came from that little island off the west coast of NZ!!!)

Well done mate.

gwkiwi,
Thanks mate,
We do get another go at the Bledisloe this weekend but bugger it's on your turf.
Last week was just a humiliating rugby lesson in the end and I had high hopes after getting rid of Dingo Deans.
Thanks guys for the compliments , hope to have some good completion pics in a couple of weeks but will keep updating as progress is made.
Cheers
Benn

The Wallies just reckon they have to stop dropping passes, missing tackles, turning the ball over at the breakdown, knocking on, poor kicking and letting in soft tries, and they'll have the Blecks measure, or so says the captain & halfback...so maybe it wasn't all Dingo Dean's (recently sacked NZ'er Wallaby coach) fault after all Benn..?

Last edited:
No Peter, Paravanes will still come into their own when just motoring, sitting at anchor and according to my mate still perform stirling service when sails are fully deployed.
Just getting the best out of both or a bit out of both is the key.
Should be a whole new learning curve.

Benn
I really think you will find its just not feasible to deploy paravanes at the same time as sails. It looks to me as though you have plenty of sail area to stabilize your motion,...as long as there is a little wind. And realize that in some cases you will 'create' some wind with your forward motion under power. I've written about motorsailers, 'In light airs, running one engine
often is all that is needed to generate an apparent wind that allows the sails
work harder, and the combination can provide much better results than either
motoring or sailing alone,....sailing synergy/harmony, the motor taking over
in the lulls and the rig taking over in the puffs.'

I might make a little suggestion for your 'learning to sail'. You will get much more feel for what is going on by experiencing it on a small sailboat. And I mean a small one....laser, sunfish, beach catamaran. If there is a small boat rental anywhere near you perhaps have a couple of trips at that. With just a little bit of instruction as to wind direction and how to make that small boat go, you will conquer the basics real quick. And you won't be intimidated by the stability question as you can take that small boat to it's limits with only a dunking/swim as a reward/lesson.
(I used to also own a number of sailboat rentals, and we taught hundreds to sail very quickly,...not know everything, but be able to get out and get back)

Last edited:
The Wallies just reckon they have to stop dropping passes, missing tackles, turning the ball over at the breakdown, knocking on, poor kicking and letting in soft tries, and they'll have the Blecks measure, or so says the captain & halfback...so maybe it wasn't all Dingo Dean's (recently sacked NZ'er Wallaby coach) fault after all Benn..?
I absolutely love this! Just imagine a commentator in the U.S. making the above statement, on TV. :D:D:thumb:

Brian,
My mate on Waverly deploys his fish whilst motor sailing.
He has had plenty of experience with these rigs and it works a treat.
A couple of my mates with sail boats fish with me so we will be doing a lot of experimenting on our way north to the Swains and eventually Mackay in November.
All things are a bit of a compromise and after all I am a motor boat.
It is all part of the new adventure.
Cheers
Benn

Peter, that's malarkey , these players are Australians, we can't blame them but we can blame a Kiwi, it's only fair.
Now what lesson are they going to give us tomorrow night on their home turf..

I'll be home in Sept you may have to pop down and have a look at the new vessel.

Cheers
Benn

Benn, how about providing a list of classic boat designers and builders, in the style of Fleming, Masters, etc?

Peter, that's malarkey , these players are Australians, we can't blame them but we can blame a Kiwi, it's only fair.

I'll be home in Sept you may have to pop down and have a look at the new vessel.

Cheers
Benn

You betcha. I want to see her. Especially as I've already been on board before all this took place. Just let me know when you are there, and I'll pop down if I can.
And we could dissect the Wallaby - All Black games even more - over a beer of course. I'm kinda neutral now - lived here long enough that when they play each other, wel..one of my teams wins. But I did find it interesting how all the local pundits, especially sports writers, never accepted a Kiwi coaching and Aussie rugby team, and blamed him for everything, even though he was the most successful NZ Super Rugby coach ever. Yet they have been professional for years, and think how top teams from any sport code which is professional all round the world don't think twice about employing a non-national to coach their team - they just want whoever's best.
Who is our national soccer team coach, taking us to the World Cup next year, a German. Before that two Dutchmen....I think the rugby players/people need to just get over it...and Ewen MacKenzie has a huuuuge job ahead of him. Tomorrow night should be very interesting.

Glad to entertain you Walt. Do you understand or follow Rugby at all...?

Bruce,
Off the top of my head the following
There will be a fair few omissions but I can correct that when I refer to my Classic Moreton bay Cruiser book
Norman Wright and Sons
Norman Wright Jnr
Bill Wright who is still in business on the Brisbane River
Alby Pryor
Millkraft, Thompson
Hughie Morris
*** Trim
Tripcony Boat builders (Breakfast Creek)
Tom Bishop
Fred Fleming
Bert Ellis
Wayne Tipper
Clem Masters
Cattersons
Kevin Dick (Kevin is still building in Noosa)

If I think of some of the others I will add them
Cheers
Benn

Can not speak for Walt but the wife and I try to follow but have limited viewing options here. Kinda partial to the All Blacks in this house. Sometimes get lucky and catch a web stream occasionally but would love to find a more reliable website to watch.

Craig,
That's pretty understandable. The Blecks are a pretty awesome team ( don't ever let any of my Aussie mates know I said that) Rugby is a religion over there.
Great game played all round the world.
When I was young and travelling I played in England, Scotland , California and New Jersey.
Even played at the Rose Bowl in LA ( The car park in reality) when I was playing for Crown City, Pasadena. The teams in those days, early 70s were about 80% Aussie/Kiwi but a lot of fun for a young guy who loved to play footy and drink.
Cheers
Benn

No, I don't but the image that surfaced in my head after reading your post made me laugh...and still does! :blush:

No, I don't but the image that surfaced in my head after reading your post made me laugh...and still does! :blush:

Well, Walt, I have to say (sorry Andy & Bruce...I'm not being smug...honest...well only a little bit maybe), when the Wallabies said..."that they just have to stop dropping passes, missing tackles, turning the ball over at the breakdown, knocking on, poor kicking and letting in soft tries, and they'll have the Blecks measure"...well...unfortunately it didn't happen...they didn't manage to pull that transformation off...
All Blacks overpower Wallabies 27-16, retain Bledisloe Cup | The Roar

Well only about a week until I get home and get to see first hand the improvements to Tidahapah.
A couple of small photos of some of the changes that had to be made.
I didn't want to loose my S/S funnel completely so we have had to crop it to fit around the lower spreaders.
A few mods are being made to these spreaders so that the outrigger arms fit up a bit better.
The final rigging of the stabilisers will be done once I am on board and can get some ropes, chains winches etc sorted.
All the timber work, electronic and electrical work is 99% complete.
We stepped the main mast into the existing storage bin and have made folding lids to fit around the mast. At least we still have a bit of rope storage on the fore deck.

I have also attached a PDF drawing of some fish suitable for a 45 to 53 ft boat. Dimensions are in mm.
Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• IMAG0083 (3).jpg
    IMAG0083 (3).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Paravanes.pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
For mine, I was sorry to see Robbie Deans go. He was/is a top bloke and a good coach. Over the last couple of years he has been a great supporter of our spinal cord injury foundation.

We are not even close to the All Blacks. I reckon the Pumas would also fancy their chances against us at the moment, not to mention the upcoming northern hemisphere tour.Tough times.(still the weathers nice)

Benn
Your boat looks like it came together very nicely.
Now... Where did I put my Aussie rugby Rosetta Stone program?

Well the final jobs are coming together.
Lay flat solar panels are down, mizzen mast lower spreaders are being modified along with the funnel.
Inside ,a bit of new timber work. New mullion to conceal wires from radio , radar ants etc. Small storage box where my old plotter key pad used to be. Matching the Queensland maple is a bit difficult but it will all age and look ok in a while.

A new replacement plotter computer is to be fitted when I get home, think I may have to upgrade my Nobeltec.

My old 10 stacker CD stereo ( I got 17 years service out of it) has been replaced with a Fusion CD player /radio with an I pod dock , the whole unit is coupled up with inside and outside speakers and also to the TV set.

Mast spreader lights are LEDs, plenty of light for low power draw.

Stabiliser arm aft solid stays to be fitted on Monday, the rigging for these I will do when I get home as there will be a fair bit of trial and error involved. I have a good idea how I want it but it will all come down to ease of use.

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Cheers
Benn

Easy on us Kiwi's we are an endangered lot :flowers:

The retiring US ambassador to Australia, Jeffrey Bleicher, was quoted today describing AFL football: " It looks like a prison riot, into which someone threw a ball"

Benn, thanks for the impressive list of classic boat builders, there`s a basis for some online research. I owned a Masters, great seaboat. Kevin Dick`s "Kellick" brand cruisers are a tempting modern f/g production of a classic design.

Last edited:
That sure paints a clear picture and as an AFL fan and a retired CO County Sheriff I can really relate to the prison riot with a football analogy.

Although over the years most of my inmates were well behaved especially the chain gang which was always too tired to cause trouble once back in their cells each night.

Benn,
She is certainly shaping up to be a real performer.

BTW Bruce,
All of us down south here know what the real true blue football code is, even if the foreigners don't understand it. ;)
One day they'll work it out and we can have an international AFL series.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom