Alaska Residency and full time liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A more typical summer scene in Ketchikan.

232323232%7Ffp54358%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C338%3B6336nu0mrj

I much enjoyed a Hawaii-to-San Francisco cruise when one of the propeller-shaft bearings broke. Took us an extra 36 hours to get to port: a day-and-a-half more of food, entertainment, and so on at no extra cost, an afternoon of free drinks, and a voucher toward another cruise!

You got to expect these sort of things. Like losing an engine because of water in the fuel ... :whistling::hide:

:confused: How much of the relatively high level of federal spending in Alaska is due to the high rate of federal civilian and military employment compared to the low non-federally-employed civilian population?

Greetings,

One has to see the pictures of some 3000 passengers from the M/V Millennium trooping over the deck of an open ferries in driving rain to the Ketchikan International Airport for extraction to understand the old saying: "In each life a little rain will fall" (Paraphrase)
Actually the force of rain was slight by local observations, not so much with "Sunny Climes" folks.

Iancea- You would fit in beautifully in the small SE Alaska town of Wrangell. Pop: 1800 Est. 45 inches of rain annually (Vs Ketchikan with 150+ and only 88 miles South)
golf course, new boat harbor, welcomes live aboards. wonderful outdoors activities. like, fishing for crab, shrimp, halibut, salmon in the morning and then finish off the day with 9 holes of golf!! Life is good there.

http://www.wrangell.com/
http://wrangellalaskagolf.com/index.html

Regards,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Alaska spends a lot of money on things other than infrastructure.

Like the bush.

School districts with 20 students yet full modern buildings and staff.

It's all oil money.

SD

It's all oil money.

Except for the $446,070,505 that came from the rest of us ... Alaska is #8 in the nation for spending federal money on education, and #46 in spending state and local money on education.

While I have the stats on my desk: Alaska is #47 in overall educational quality (way way down from the '50s and 60's when it was at or near the top), #13 in total school financing, and #51 in teacher quality.

Sources are the NEA (don't bother Fred, we all know how you feel about them) and the department of education.

Greetings,

One has to see the pictures of some 3000 passengers from the M/V Millennium trooping over the deck of an open ferries in driving rain to the Ketchikan International Airport ...

The Millenium has a capacity of up to 2,138 passengers (per Wikipedia) and 2,450 all upper and lower berths (per Complete Guide to Cruising.)

Ferry "to nowhere" on a partly-cloudy July 2013 day:

232323232%7Ffp73487%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C365%3C5336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Except for the $446,070,505 that came from the rest of us ... Alaska is #8 in the nation for spending federal money on education, and #46 in spending state and local money on education.

While I have the stats on my desk: Alaska is #47 in overall educational quality (way way down from the '50s and 60's when it was at or near the top), #13 in total school financing, and #51 in teacher quality.

Sources are the NEA (don't bother Fred, we all know how you feel about them) and the department of education.

Well, to get off of thread here, it takes 4-6 times more in Alaska than in Florida where you can drive anywhere in the state. Not so in Alaska. Take Florida, draw a line from Panama City to Jacksonville. Now everything south of that line remove all forms of transportation other than barge, boat or air. Gives you just a "taste" of what it is like in Alaska. Oh and give the state a deep freeze for 9 months out of the year.....

Iancea- I apologize for giving you the incorrect number of passengers on the Millennium.it apparently is over riding your original inquiry as where you might find a friendly post for your Alaska mooring.
Another error in my post was unintentional. Wrangell is North of Ketchikan. One might construct that my directions of South would demand yet another minute rebuke correction.
At any rate, please know that true and long time resident Alaskans welcome those who share their honor,trust, and good nature and wish to share in our Natural wonders, bountiful fish and game, and reasonable fiscal expenses of both material and human needs.
Should you elect to visit and would enjoy a glass of wine and discussion, please give my wife and myself consideration.
Happy hunting
A.M.Johnson Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian

Interesting how this thread turned into a political discussion

I am very proud yet odd ball 8th generation Floridian with very deep political routes and a county named after a great grandfather

Yet as child we visited Alaska and I lived there for a few months while in training at the Air Force arctic survival it still seems to me they get way less pork then my state Florida but who am I say

Back
Top Bottom