3208 Oil change - adaptor for drain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
How are you all doing? Well I hope.

I decided to change engine oil on my 3208's. It appears to be an easy task. The is a hose coming out from the oil pan to drain the oil from, it is threaded, guessing around 1/3 inch or so. I went to west marine and all they have are dipstick tube drain pumps, i need the pump with fittings... any suggestions?

oh yeah any other suggestions appreciated.

happy crusin'
Per

How are you all doing? Well I hope.

I decided to change engine oil on my 3208's. It appears to be an easy task. The is a hose coming out from the oil pan to drain the oil from, it is threaded, guessing around 1/3 inch or so. I went to west marine and all they have are dipstick tube drain pumps, i need the pump with fittings... any suggestions?

oh yeah any other suggestions appreciated.

happy crusin'
Per

Can't say for sure...my 3208's just had a galvanized pipe cap as a cover on the brass fitting on the tube from the oil pan. I just adapted what I believe was a 1/2 inch thread to a hose barb to a tube that went to my pump. Should be a standard thread from Cat..but who knows...if you don't like that thread...cut it out and put whatever floats your boat there.

Is there a ball valve or some other form of shut off by the oil pan where the hose begins?

If you google oil chance.

Johnson Pump 80-47508-02-johnson Pump Oil Change .
This one should work you may have to fiddle with a connection for the hose.

It's electric. Works pretty well.
I used one till I got my manifold system with reversible pump.

I now have automatic oil change.

I stick a hose in a bucket open a valve and flip a switch.
To put the oil back in I just stick the same hose in a gallon bottle of fresh oil and reverse the pump.
How sweet it is.

I will PM you with a pic next week.

SD

Last edited:
yeah, that is very nice system.

there is no ball valve or other type switch, just a hose coming from the bottom of the oil pan with a threaded connector (with a cap nut mounted), i just cant seem to find the adapter for this connector, threaded perhaps 1/2 inch.

Maybe you can make your own with a mix of barbed and threaded connectors on a length of hose.

I inserted a barbed nipple and a valve at my stbd Perkins oil pan drain. I just hook the oil sucker out thingee to the nipple, open the valve and voila! Unfortunately, this drain is on the port side of the engines and I can't get to it on the port engine due to the hull's upward slope until I release engine mounts. That ain't gonna happen anytime soon, I hope!

A photo of the connector may help.
There are many, many different ways of cobbling up fittings and your description isn't enough for us to even start a reasonable guess.
As asked does the hose connect to a valve at the oil pan drain?

You may do better to simply remove the 'connector ' that you currently have and come up with your own setup. Or take the 'connector' after removal to a shop that sells fittings and tell them what you want to do.

Used a commercial oil drain system for years (X-Change-R) until the pump gave out. It handled both engines, their transmissions and the genset.

When the pump gave out I purchased a oil transfer pump from Depco and created my own system using ball valves and hoses.

Depco has several pumps that will work. I decided not to go with a reversible pump as I have never used the fill feature in the ten years I had my commercial system.

depcopump.com

Their sales people will give you good advice. I believe the pump I bought was a Marco.

Marty

I agree with CLectric in not getting too hung up on what you have. On the 3208's there are two drain plugs on the pan, one on the bottom and one on the left hand side facing. If I were you and assuming there is very little room under your pan to work with, when you get the oil drained, remove your fittings from the bottom plug on the pan and move them to the side plug, this will make it much easier and give you more room to add a ball valve and other fittings for a draining system. Alternatively, you could ignore the hose & plug you have off the bottom and simply build your own system using the side drain plug. My system is similar to Bay Pelican, flip a switch & done.

thanks for all the replies
the fitting i have looks like a 3/8 jic.
what i did was to purchase a reverso jabsco pump installed on a 4 gallon bucket.
i fitted the hose with some rigged adaptor and use electrical tape to seal and make a tight connection, it worked well...

Back
Top Bottom