Fuel Tank Access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed...my 26 year old steel tanks were nearly perfect except in a couple spots...some surface rust/bubbling

Just hard to repair when crammed in like they were. But I bet after me fixing the leaks ans some PM they would have lasted another 10-20 years without leaking a drop. Seemed a shame I cut them out...but the room is super!

psneeld, that's what I call 'chasing problems'. You read horror stories about tanks, blisters, teak decks etc...... then you chase, only to be lighter in the pocket and frustrated in the end. The Previous owner of my boat said "before you make major improvements, wait 1 year". Those were wise words, get to know your boat before chasing problems. Thanks for your honest assessment. Hopefully others can learn from your experience before they throw the baby out with the bath water.

Could you explain this.

Marty

Very seldom ank I asked to explain backup what I post?

The galvanic rating of aluminum is low a.d in some industries aluminum is used to protect higher rated metal and used to fail to save guard equipment. So special care has to be taken. Weld for most metal are the usually the first to fail so the welder has to know how to weld aluminum. The good thing is most welds can be repaired.
The reason aluminum is used is its light and easier to cut and weld.

SS has to breath 0 so its usually not covered painted and the fluid has to fresh. Both aluminum and SS has a protect surface. Aluminum and does corrode but its not as visible as rust.

Phil got a copy of a galvanic table a few years ago and the materials world has not been the same since.

Not true the fabrication plant is constantly making sure different mettles are compatable.

Such as I final took my anchor in to have mudders plates added and the first questio was. What is it made of? Turned out its galvanized so SS can be used with the right welding wire. I our industry aluminum is used to protect and or fail. So what ever metal make sure they know how and what they are doing.

psneeld, that's what I call 'chasing problems'. You read horror stories about tanks, blisters, teak decks etc...... then you chase, only to be lighter in the pocket and frustrated in the end. The Previous owner of my boat said "before you make major improvements, wait 1 year". Those were wise words, get to know your boat before chasing problems. Thanks for your honest assessment. Hopefully others can learn from your experience before they throw the baby out with the bath water.

There was no "sole" reason that I took out my tanks buy many...I wasn't chasing a problem... I was solving 4-5 AND doing PM that may have saved me a bundle if one did get a pin hole in it on my next long trip.

People think differently and short replies that these forums tend to be filled with never really tell the whole story.

But you are correct...If I was worried JUST about leaks..I could have done a better job checking/pressure testing...but that would probably taken at least half the time/money due to the tanks being partially covered with glued on foam.

steel boat tanks

I know most people don't like steel boats. I owned a 42' steel boat for many years. There was four fuel tanks (total 1000gal). They had large manhole covers. About every year or two I would empty the tank, open the manhole, get in the tank and wash it out with soap and water. Then dry the tank, close it up and fill it with fuel. You woul be surprised how much gunk I would get out of the tank. I never had problems with fuel tanks. Steel tanks are great if you can get to them and get in them for cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom