Adding a rim to traditional ship's wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
Good day to the forum,

I want to add a rim to the traditional wheel at my lower helm. Stainless tube, solid composite or wood are acceptable materials. Any suggestions where I can I buy a hoop like that? Diameter "negotiable"between 28 and 30 inches. See before and after pics below.

Mike

Attachments

• wheel-1.jpg
    wheel-1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 117
  • wheel-2.jpg
    wheel-2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 108
This may be more research than you want, but the process of adding both a stainless rim and a teak rim to an existing wheel has been discussed and described on the two Grand Banks owners forums.* You have to be a member to access the archives (I think) but there is no charge for this.

The reason you need to check both forums is that the various processes have been discussed on both of them.* There is one post, a step-by-step how to do it description on making and adding a teak rim that was written by Mike Negley who is one of the two people I'm aware of on the planet that know more about Grand Banks and things like making wheel rims than anyone else on the planet.

The sites for the GB owners forums are http://www.grandbanksowners.com/index.php* and* http://gbbeacon.com/phpBB2/.* While the first site is the more used, the second site is the one with Mike Negley on it.* Both sites have fairly user-friendly archive search functions similar to this site.

There is at least one company--- I believe it is in southern California--- that will make a stainless rim to size for your wheel.* I've seen this company mentioned in several posts on the GB forums but I can't remember the name.* Perhaps someone on this forum will.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 23rd of July 2010 05:21:33 PM

Mike,
years ago we added a teak outer ring to the traditional " ships wheel" on our GB36, as you have found out the traditional wheel looks cool but sucks to use. I built a outer male mold of plywood and glued up 1/16" teak strips and used about 40 clamps and laminated my own ring. I rounded the laminated ring with a 1/4 round router bit, sanded, varnished then cut the round tips of the wheel spokes flat and screwed the assembly together.. a fair amount of work ... but worth every minute.
good luck
LD

Although its not the best ,

a standard sheet metal roller set can be opened wide enough to roll 3/4 brass pipe.

It makes a nice looking addition and is cheap to do.

When to size ,the ends are cut square (std pipe cutter) , and braised or silver soldered together.

Thanks to all who responded*so far. Unfortunately time doesn't permit fabricating a wooden rim. I am hoping to find a ready-made hoop and will follow up the GB forums for the firm Marin mentions - sounds pricey though. Fred, the brass pipe option is interesting. don't the sheet metal rollers tend to put flats on the pipe? One possibility is a wheelchair "hand-rim" if I can find one of suitable size.

Any more ideas - please keep em coming.

Anybody around you who fabricates SS railing should be able to bend a piece of tubing to the exact diameter you need.

don't the sheet metal rollers tend to put flats on the pipe?

Yes , so?

Remember the wheel will need some trimming on each spoke to get a large enough flat area to run a screw in.

A 1/8in of flat on the inside of the wheel wont help much , but it will help drilling from the outer diameter to find a center.

Back
Top Bottom