Cuba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the embargo applies to Imports. That is where the rubber meets the road and also explains why they still drive 1957 era vehicles.

"Life over their isn't quite as bad as the US media makes it out to be,..."

I've seen the empty rafts. People are literally dying to leave.

The KEY item embargoed from Cuba is US financing.

They trade with the rest of the world , but mostly on a CA$H basis.

Unlike the Chinese they have no use for tech , only unlimited cash is of interest .

Last edited:
I Have been to Cuba twice actually four times if you count sailing by

Although tourism is developed I would not call it well developed

Also was interesting to see the note in the latest passage maker about attempted Cuba event

I think the embargo applies to Imports. That is where the rubber meets the road and also explains why they still drive 1957 era vehicles.

Don't think the embargo explains the vehicles. Very few American built cars are imported into the other Caribbean countries. The Japanese and Korean companies dominate with a healthy representation from Europe.

Since the other Caribbean countries are able to provide non American cars to their populations the shortage of new cars in Cuba must have another reason, perhaps a decline in personal income. Cuba once had one of the highest standards of living in the Caribbean.

Marty

I went to Cuba (legally) in January this year for 8 days, I loved the place and look forward to a day when the communist regime is done and gone...maybe someday.

A quick side note

Diana is currently making her fifth attempt to swim from Hemmingway Marina to Key West. This has never been done. She was 28 on her first attempt. Today she is 64- which is awesome!! If interested, you can follow her here. Diana Nyad - The Swim

Steve

Thanks after last one I really didnt think she would try again and did not know she was doing it now

Steve

Thanks after last one I really didnt think she would try again and did not know she was doing it now
Me either! Interesting..........

Update

Diana is currently making her fifth attempt to swim from Hemmingway Marina to Key West. This has never been done. She was 28 on her first attempt. Today she is 64- which is awesome!! If interested, you can follow her here. Diana Nyad - The Swim
She made it!

It's quite amazing how many American cruisers boats have "broken down" at sea and needed to seek "safe harbor" in Cuba to effect repairs.

Does one's heart leap to the throat when returning to the U.S. after a surreptitious visit to Cuba?

img_176935_0_ea61dd0882407b656288e845d7e036cd.jpg

I think the US government would be surprised at how many Americans have boats in Cuba full time. They fly there and cruise like they are residents...then fly home to their other boats.

That's a great effort. She's a poster girl for all(you) older people out there. :D

Nah. She is still a young chick at 64. You gotta realize that some of us would give our eye teeth (if we had any) to be 64 again! :)

Amazing

Remarkable achievement !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom