View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #26
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Varnish Brightwork Like a Pro - Part 1

Good to see you on the forum again Kieth. Yes Whittman's book is excellent but I think it's a book on varnishing** .. not finishing. However, I think I should read her stuff on interior teak finishing as my needs are mounting.
Ken,**
I don't like the Cetol orange at all and feel no need to buy any Cetol product for my boat. Here in Alaska there are numerous Cetol products in the hardware store in gallons that are good for houses and carports ect and many people use them w good results. For the price I think I can mix up my own stuff for a small fraction of the Cetol cost. There are many varnishes of very high quality that give beautiful and stunning results if properly used. Schooner, Epiphanes, Mcklosky's and others are excellent. The idea that one is better than the other is, I think, fly stuff. At one time ingredients were listed on the product and all one needed to know was that phenolic resin and tung oil produced the best varnish. Now they say "a tung oil product". Could be 30% tung oil or 2% tung oil, the rest being linseed oil (an inferrior product). Epoxy seems to be resin of resins for years now and I don't recall seeing an epoxy varnish. Does it exist? Keith, could the "Honey Teak" be epoxy?

Eric Henning

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 3rd of January 2010 03:38:24 PM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote