What is a SHINASA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talonewo

Vessel Name
Shintullah
Vessel Make
55' 1978 Defever
I need help identifying a piece of equipment, I bought the boat from an estate so I had no hand off from the previous owner. There is a "room" more of a crawl space under the stairs where the battery chargers(12 and 32v) are a two DC-DC converters, part of the HF radio .... a mini equipment room if you will, there is a box approximately one foot cube, painted steel, no switches or controls, one red light, what looks like DC wires going the back, fairly heave gage but certainly not too heavy gage. No switches, serial or part numbers anywhere to be found... only one label "SHINASA".... I have Google with no luck.

I would expect the inverter to be in that space but can't find it and on the 32v power panel there is no wire coming off the inverter power switch so I think the inverter was removed, plus I don't think the wires going into the mystery box are not heavy enough gage to support an inverter, even if they are 32v. On the floor in that space there is a wire bundle not connected to anything that looks like it would be for the inverter, it has A/C wires in it.

Has anyone heard of "SHINASA"?

Your description sounds like it might be a regulated DC power conditioner/power supply for electronics.

Last edited:
Talonewo
Veteran Member
City: San Antonio Country: USA
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever

A SHINASA on SHINTULLAH .....strangely does not seem out of place.

Well, if it can go warp speed with those dilithium crystals then it's not a trawler, and we can't help you.

It's probably some kind of converter or power cleaner. Maybe DC-DC, maybe 240V 50A to 120V 60A, or vice-versa. If it hums at 50 or 60 Hz then the input or output is AC. If not it's a DC thing.

Can you safely disconnect power to the box and observe what stops working?

I think it is a housing for a beryllium sphere.

SD

My favorite movie. Galaxy Quest.

Tim Allen and Segourney Weaver.
SD

My favorite movie. Galaxy Quest.

Tim Allen and Segourney Weaver.
SD

Hmmm. Never saw that one.

I thought you meant an electrically suspended gyroscope. The old spinning beryllium ball suspended by an electrical field in a vacuum trick as used as in input for a ships inertial navigation system (SINS).

Probably not that... They're kind of expensive.

Last edited:
I think it's a "thermo" for the wigwam spider that resides in all Nova Kool refrigerators. Mine went out about 3 years ago and I replaced the original with a "finarisis" from an older unit. Cost is about $85 for a recon. :blush:

Capt Kangeroo... that is a question for another day... I don't know what a Shintullah is either...

Flywright.... I wish I could disconnect it and see what happens... the problem is it is on the hard with no power to it... once I get power to it I will... the list of things to do is too long...

You are all over thinking this. A Shinasa is a device to power a red light on its front. We have a Shinasa Model G on-board and the light is green.

Mystery solved, if anyone cares..... I I pulled the Shinasa out last weekend.... it all makes sense now, in the early 1990s the boat was refit and cruised extensively around Singapore for a few years.... The previous owner refit the boat to American standards, 110 outlets, battery charges etc.... but knowing there would be no 110 shore power the Shinasa is an 8KW transformer 220V A/C in 110V A/C out... so when he plugged into shore power around Asia he would have 110 power.

Now the only decision is what to do with the thing? It would be very easy to put it back in...

Send it to Richard on the Dauntless :)

Shinasa: Contusion of the lower posterior buttockal region.

Attachments

• Shinasa.jpg
    Shinasa.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 67
I like Larry's answer better than the real one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom