Oil Change Scavenger Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
I am looking for an oil change scavenger to change the oil in my Volvo 200hp diesel (11 liters of oil). I am looking online and it looks like the Jabsco pump comes with a bucket and gets good reviews. Kind of pricey @ $150, but looks like it will do the trick and might be useful around the shop also.

Jabsco 17850-1012 Premium Marine Oil Changer : Amazon.com : Automotive

Anyone have any thoughts on a good oil change scavenger.

Thanks

I don't know how these work but I am interested in hearing what other members say as I'd like something to this tune too. Looks easy and I like that it is self contained.

I don't know how these work but I am interested in hearing what other members say as I'd like something to this tune too. Looks easy and I like that it is self contained.

Use a gear pump for longer life. You can provide your own bucket and directional switch.

I drain the old oil into 5 gallon buckets then reverse the pump direction to refill from a new bucket. The empty bucket then becomes the dirty oil storage container for the next oil change.

If you plumb it in permanently you don't have to change anything except the bucket.

I installed purpose-made drain valves in the oil pan of each engine. A small impeller pump does the heavy lifting. The impeller pump came from Harbor Freight and cost around $35.00. Impellers are p/number #27929 and cost around $2.00. A gear-pump would be preferable, but at this price........
BTW: the original impeller is holding up fine after a year of use.

This links to my original post on the drain valve and pump.

It looks like they replaced the rubber impeller pump on the 17850-0012 with a diaphram pump. I think that's a fairly new change so not much history.

Since you're only moving 11 liters at a time you might take a look at the Jabsco 17860-0012 Flat Tank Oil Changer. It's a little less expensive.

I have little to no access to the drain plug so I go down the dipstick using a manual extractor. Just a few pumps to build a vacuum and sit back and let the oil get sucked out. No pump, power or anything required. They come in various sizes depending on where you buy them. Probably half the price in the USA as what we pay for them although they are all likely made in PRC. Works for me.

9-1/2 Litre Pneumatic/Manual Fluid Extractor | Princess Auto

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom