Discharge of Oil sticker in the ER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaBomba

Guru
Vessel Name
Looking Glass
Vessel Make
Carver 370 Voyager
Gentlemen, I am in the process of replacing old rubber dried out and crumbling insulation, and adding in some areas, sound insulation in the ER. On one particular panel the insulation had been cut out badly and a sticker added regarding the Discharge of oil. My question is, since I think we all understand that discharge of any sorts except grey water is illegal in either the US or Canada, do I need to continue to post this placard? As a Canadian boat entering US waters, do I need it? See what I am talking about below. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20130823-00076.jpg
    IMG-20130823-00076.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-20130823-00075.jpg
    IMG-20130823-00075.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 122
US boats are required to have it as well as one for garbage. Stupid government.
I don't know about your situation but they are cheap why not just avoid the question if you ever get inspected. I put my garbage sticker on my trash can. The Coasty who inspected me was amused by this.

The discharge of oil sign is required in the United States. I don't know how this affects a Canadian boat, but why worry about it. Leave the sign.

The Coast Guard Aux. gives the various signs away gratis. Anytime I find them around one of the marina events, I hit them up for fresh replacements. Is that being cheap or what? :socool:

Print them to regular or photo paper and put in a plastic sleeve or laminate...just in case you don't want to hang around the USCGAUX....:D

Print them to regular or photo paper and put in a plastic sleeve or laminate...just in case you don't want to hang around the USCGAUX....:D

Do you have a site source to print these from? Is there any requirement as to where they have to be posted??

Do you have a site source to print these from? Is there any requirement as to where they have to be posted??

on line there's tons....or go to you favorite online ships store and save the image to your computer. Use paint to fix it up if you don't have anything better...or just type out the words and use whatever font suits you.

Here is one I copied the text and made up............

Attachments

• Oil Discharge.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 111
Friends of mine were boarded 2 days ago and the CG wanted to see the signs.

>Friends of mine were boarded 2 days ago and the CG wanted to see the signs.<

Signs are cheap , post them in the wheelhouse , the engine room , and heads.

Best way to get the Hooligan Navy off the boat is overload them with compliance..

FYI, the "other" placard, the trash one, is in the process of being changed. With typical gov't logic, the new rules have been implemented by the USCG but the US laws haven't yet been changed to catch up, so we're in a sort of limbo about the exact wording and layout of the new placard.

Here is one link that explains it about as clearly as possible.

To summarize, the existing placards and stickers are still good in US waters.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have printed both the Oil and Garbage placards off, laminated them and will post on the weekend. Not sure that they required in Canada but no harm done and they don't really take up any room although the one in the engine room can go on a wall instead of the hatch. Cheers

Thanks everyone for your help. I have printed both the Oil and Garbage placards off, laminated them and will post on the weekend. Not sure that they required in Canada but no harm done and they don't really take up any room although the one in the engine room can go on a wall instead of the hatch. Cheers

The homemade laminated ones are nice...

I printed the words on mine with a picture of the BP oil rig fire/spill as the background...:D

USCG regs re placards

According to USCG pamphlet on requirements for over 40' vessels, the oil and garbage placards are to be "at least 4 x 9", with oil in "machinery space or bilge" and garbage in a "conspicuous place", and if ocean going with galley and berthing "must have a written Waste Magement Plan...".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom