Towing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Saw this double tow this morning. Trawler towing a center console towing a jet ski.

image-2997984981.jpg

Attachments

• image-2236162416.jpg
    image-2236162416.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 147
Nice...been considering towing a bigger dingy...trying to rig a dingy to carry the ski as they don't like staying in the water long term.

Not so sure I wouldn't do a "Hawaiian tow" at least that's what I think the term is...one from each stern cleat on it's own towline...more manageable in my book.

I've got a 17' center console with a 50 hp merc that I plan on towing. The going thru locks part I suspect will be on the job training, pull it up tight to the swim grid or raft it alongside. What type & size of line to use is another consideration & how far back to let it ride on the prop wash wake, back side, front or on top. Even whether to tilt the outboard up or leave it down how will that effect how it tracks & how all these things combined will effect fuel economy. I like the comfort & stability of my Logic Marine over that of a rib, I need to start practicing towing it so that I can become confident taking it with me. The number of marinas on the UMR has made it easy to go places without having transportation to get to shore, but I plan on cruising & not staying in marinas so having a way to shore to shop for provisions & explore areas where I don't want to take the 38.

I've got a 17' center console with a 50 hp merc that I plan on towing. The going thru locks part I suspect will be on the job training, pull it up tight to the swim grid or raft it alongside. What type & size of line to use is another consideration & how far back to let it ride on the prop wash wake, back side, front or on top. Even whether to tilt the outboard up or leave it down how will that effect how it tracks & how all these things combined will effect fuel economy. I like the comfort & stability of my Logic Marine over that of a rib, I need to start practicing towing it so that I can become confident taking it with me. The number of marinas on the UMR has made it easy to go places without having transportation to get to shore, but I plan on cruising & not staying in marinas so having a way to shore to shop for provisions & explore areas where I don't want to take the 38.

If you know and trust one of your local assistance towing guys (and/or have a policy with one you like)...get to know him/her and pick their brains...maybe even go on a tow or two and see how easy/hard it is and what kind of performance and equipment you should have.

Check your insurance policy. I think some cover a towed boat and others don't.

It's pretty common for big sport fishing boats to tow smaller boats from Florida to the Bahamas so they can fish shallow water as well as deep. These towed boats can get pretty big. They usually have special tow eyes fabricated that are V shaped stainless straps that fit over the bow of the boat. Multiple bolts go through the hull and backing plate to spread the load.

Check your insurance policy. I think some cover a towed boat and others don't.

It's pretty common for big sport fishing boats to tow smaller boats from Florida to the Bahamas so they can fish shallow water as well as deep. These towed boats can get pretty big. They usually have special tow eyes fabricated that are V shaped stainless straps that fit over the bow of the boat. Multiple bolts go through the hull and backing plate to spread the load.

I would guess on mid twenties boats being towed at 20 plus knots like the sporties want to go requires special equipment...

For the average trawler speeds and a less than 20 year old smaller boat up to 25 feet or so would be fine to tow from the trailer eye....except maybe storm conditions then probably cutting the tow off is a better idea.

"I would guess on mid twenties boats being towed at 20 plus knots like the sporties want to go requires special equipment..."

They do tow them fast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom