Waste Tank Gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Hey everyone,

I need a hand finding a waste tank gauge. While there is an "idiot light" in the head. I don't trust it (nor have I tested it). There are the remains of an old system in the tank that appeared to use catheter tubes that have never worked for me or the PO. So... while there must be a sensor in there, I would rather change it out.

What I want is the simplest solution short of a sight tube. I am envisioning a non-electric gauge that is just like the one in my outboard fuel tank. A twisted piece if flat metal attached to a needle with a float that turns the metal as it rises. I don't mind having the gauge in the bilge and on the tank itself.

I suppose the depth of the tank matters, but have y'all heard of such a device for holding tanks? Think I can get a little help finding such a device?

Thanks!
Tom-

I haven't tried it but some folks here have mentioned that one of those temperature sensing "guns" will work to identify the air/liquid demarcation.

I have the SCAD tank monitor on my plastic holding tank. It works fine they have ways of fitting them in metal tanks too. Had it the same system on my previous boat also.
I think that the twisted metal piece the mechanical float slides up and down would get crudded up pretty quick in a holding tank.

I suppose I should have mentioned it's a fiberglass tank.

Greetings,
Um...So I'm guessing a dip-stick is not one of the options?
noooooo.gif

Assuming a sight gauge would draw the same reaction as RT's Princess Bride movie clip :)

You might want to consider Tank Tender

Monitoring Systems

Here's what Walt and I used. It came strongly recommended by Peggie Hall.
And if you have old wiring from your old monitoring gauge, don't remove it. It can be used for the new system which makes the install a piece of cake. You'll love it! No moving parts and a complete "outside the tank" install.:dance:

We have the same system as Walt & Flywright for our fresh water & holding tanks. Not perfect all the time, but good enough to keep you out of trouble with those fluids.

I installed the Fierrello system and have been pleased with it. Easy install, easy wiring and calibration, and a great price compared with other systems.

Although I put it on a plastic tank it should be fine on a fiberglass tank also. You do need access to a side of the tank to put the foil sensor tapes on. Two pieces of 2" foil tape mounted vertically the full height of the tank and about 3"-6" apart.

You can download the installation instruction from the website and see if it will work for you.

That's right.

Dennis Fierrello's systems get rebadged and sold by SCAD and others. Dennis makes himself very available through email or phone if technical challenges arise. I found him very helpful.

The only problem I had was that what appeared to be a cutout template was not printed to scale. It was not intended as a template but only intended to illustrate the cutout dimensions. The first hole I cut using the "template" was a bit too large, but I was able to make it work.

Wema gauges also makes a good reliable gauge system for water, sewer, and fuel. They also make a gage that measure levels in multiple

Wema gauges also makes a good reliable gauge system for water, sewer, and fuel. They also make a gage that measure levels in multiple

I installed a wema on my water tank last year, I use my onboard water system exclusively so a good gauge is invaluable, don't want to run out of water during a shower. The wema has been accurate & trouble free.

I have used them for water, sewer, navigation light monitoring for the last 10 years. I have never had a problem and their advice is great. What I like about them they are simple.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom