Link 2000 Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisjs

Guru
Suspecting that my Link 2000 is in the process of going TU, I have been exploring replacement options. On/off functions for the inverter/charger and voltage/current readings seem OK. The problem is I keep losing accumulated amp-hrs and then need to guess at SOC. Since I usually only run 40-50% capacility before charging, resting voltage does not help.
The LInk 2000 controls/reads 2 separate house banks of 550 amp-hrs each. All I have been able to find for battery monitors are single house bank monitors, some with the ability to do basic readings on a second (starter) battery. So, I am faced with using 2 separate devices with 2 read-outs to replace one compact read-out. Why does it seem as though this industry is going backwards??

Why does it seem as though this industry is going backwards??

Link/Xantrex have a storied reputation, but these electroninc things, unlike a hammer, do indeed wear out. Mine went the way of trash last year, replaced by Magnum.

So why not just replace it with the exact same unit?

Did you like the old one?
Did it have the features you need.

I have had several of the link units on boats over the years. If ours went TU I'd buy the exact same unit nab be back in business enjoying the boat

Having had both tested, apparently no problem with either the Link 2000 or the Xantrex Freedom 2.5. Good news - bad news. Now need to track down the (wiring/connection) problem!!

check the shunt first all grounds must pass through the shunt.

you should also have a large fuse and several small blade type at the battery connections.

SD

Chris, I have 2 small gage wires that run from my house bank to my shunt. Each of these are fused with small inline fuses. One is the power to the monitor (positive supply voltage) and the other is the main battery voltage sense. (see below) If you are measuring the current from each bank, you would have 2 shunts, each connected to its respective bank. It may be that the positive voltage supply fuse (normally near the battery) is corroded or the wire has a fault which causes the monitor to intermittently lose power.

Below is a link to the most complete and easy to understand tutorial on the proper way to wire a battery monitor. It helped me immensely in diagnosing and finding my recent problems with my charger and monitor connections.

Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor

Keep us posted on your progress.

Attachments

• LinkSchem1.jpg
    LinkSchem1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 161
  • LinkSchem2.jpg
    LinkSchem2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 114

Attachments

• Victron 600S.jpg
    Victron 600S.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 110
I also have the Link 2000 and Xantrex Freedom 3000. I had a similar situation and found the problem on the last connection I could check, which was a well hidden rusty fuse on the house side that caused the intermittent disconnections. I've heard varied stories about this system, but other than this issue, it's been pretty dependable.

A very timely post as I am adding a battery monitor to my boat. I'm leaning towards the Victron BMV 600S. Is this a good/bad choice?

Blue Sea Systems BMV600S Amp Hour Meter

Walt, refresh our memories on your setup. Do you have two AGM banks that can serve as either start or house? Do they sometimes perform each duty? Or is one always start and the other always house?

That 602 is what I was going to recommend you use if one bank is always start and the other is always house. Rather than hijacking Chris' thread, maybe we should start a new one to discuss your case.

Thanks for all the help, Guys. I'll let you know when it's sorted.
KSanders: the unit was obsoleted by Xantrex. Problem is nobody seems to offer unit with same range of capabilities, so it would need replacing with 2 or 3 other items to get similar capaibilities for 2 house bank system. The BMV only provides details on a single (house) bank and only voltage readings on a second (starter) battery.

That 602 is what I was going to recommend you use if one bank is always start and the other is always house..
I was wrong! My system is as you describe and I bought the 602S yesterday.
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom