Window Leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corky

Hi, I have a 30 Californian just bought her, she needs a little work ,the front windows leak. need to replace some wood trim around the windows ,any ideas.

I'm a fan of butyl tape but many here have mentioned dolphinite. Perhaps one of the members with experience in re-bedding wood framed windows can speak to that. I do know cedar shingles when used as wedges will help you separate the frames from the boat after you remove the screws.

Welcome to the forum.

I like Dolphinite for certain things (bedding) but it is not really a caulking. I don't really know what the situation is with your windows but the real sealing should be done with caulking or butyl tape keeping water from under hardware or frames could be done with Dolphinite

I first tried the butyl tape on an overhead hatch that dripped a little. Neat and clean installation, and it has sealed well so far. I've read that you can't use it around screws, only bolts. Apparently spinning the screws in wraps up the butyl and leaves voids that can leak.

The source of the "Dolphinite" product worries me. It just sounds wrong. Maybe an endorsement on the pack 'No Dolphins were harmed in the manufacture of this product"

A quick fix that works for some leaks is flowable silicone, which you can find at auto parts shops. It's about the consistency of cold syrup, and flows into cracks and crevices then cures up.

Hi, I have a 30 Californian just bought her, she needs a little work ,the front windows leak. need to replace some wood trim around the windows ,any ideas.

Sounds like you want to remove the glass and replace the trim? :confused: I have done all the salon windows, and three pilot house windows. When removing the trim you have to be careful and patient. I used a hack saw blade as it thin flexes and/or a very thin ground down putty knife that also flexes. Do not try to ply up the frame.

The long term solution might be remove and replace with aluminum or plastic window frame windows...once you start messing with them, some fix easily, mine were such a bear I'm glad that I had just ordered all new windows.

A quick fix that works for some leaks is flowable silicone, which you can find at auto parts shops. It's about the consistency of cold syrup, and flows into cracks and crevices then cures up.

An even easier option: if the leak is small, use the cap tolleys creeping crack cure. Worked for me..

The Fein Multi-Master oscillating tools (or a clone) with a flexible scrapper blade is the ticket for removing caulk.

The Fein Multi-Master oscillating tools (or a clone) with a flexible scrapper blade is the ticket for removing caulk.

X2

Used a Dremel Multimax similar blade to remove silicone caulking around the outside of the frames of our aluminum windows (whoever uses silicone on a boat should be summarily shot!). After re-finishing the frames, used 3M 4200 to re-caulk. Did not have to deal with re-bedding the frames but, although I am a fan of Dolfinite, I am not sure I would use it for aluminum frames.

Wooden windows will require R&R on a time basis.

Say every 5-7 years , as will much of the deck hardware .

Dolphinite is simple.

Overhead hatches and aluminum windows will probably be best with tape as its fast to R&R.

5200,, NEVER , for anything that may need removal.

Back
Top Bottom