COI for 50ft Willard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the topic here is regarding taking passengers for hire. To do that, the vessel must be Inspected if carrying more than 6, or more than 12 if over 100 GT. Even if it's a Bareboat Charter, it still needs to be Inspected if over those limits. I am currently a Master for an Uninspected yacht over 100 GT. We can take as many guests as I deem safe for an owners party (about 35 in our case.) But if we take a charter party out, we are limited to 12 total passengers. To take more for hire, we would have to be an Inspected vessel. Even if we were to Bareboat charter the vessel to someone who provided their own captain and crew, they would still be limited to a maximum of 12 passengers for hire.

The real question is can a USN 50 ft probably a Utility boat get a COI.

The answer to that is YES , its been done for decades.

OK next question.looking for an original canvas top for the Willard ex-USNavy
50 ft

Attachments

• digi45823758.jpg
    digi45823758.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 242
That boat has been advertised in the Yellow sheets for the last 6-8 months or so. Looks like a nice Looper. I don't think it has a COI. I got the impression it is a private yacht.

The main reason ex USN or other ex military boats are of interest for sub T , is they are constructed with FR resin.And have a collision bulkhead .

FR is Fire Retarding , and its requirement is why most production boats are never licensed to carry over 6 pax.

A bulkhead could be added to many production boats , but the resin is hard to change!

The canal boat looks odd to me. It looks like it dosn't have enough freeboard. That would suggest it really is an extended 40'. And a boot stripe is just a boot stripe but there is a break in the stripe. Didn't say anything in the add about it though. It just looks too long and low.

Rick wrote;
"I guess you didn't bother to look up "COI."
I didn't either. Most of us don't have much interest in the legal aspects of chartering. I try to limit my use of acronyms to the really commonly known. Or write them out in the first part of a post. Too many acronyms are thrown around here as I believe it to be vogue now. What I'd like to have on TF is a stickey or whatever it takes to have an index of acronyms so they would be handy to look up. Better would be for people to use them only among those that are familiar w them.

Last edited:
FR is Fire Retarding , and its requirement is why most production boats are never licensed to carry over 6 pax.

No, FF, that is not correct.

If the boat has overnight accomodations for more than 12 pax then it must be constructed of FR resin. If it carries 12 or less and not powered by gasoline, it can be constructed of standard resins but must have additional fire protection requirements.

The ex USN Utilities I am familiar with are used as day head boats , see the Manatees , or similar.

Although the USN is happy to carry 150 white hats and a crew of 3 , most USCG boats get a ticket for 40 -45 pax due to the incline rules.

This is interesting since the boats have 100% flotation (like a Boston Whaler) which is not counted.

Last week this yacht, Innisfail,a 90' Mathis Trumpy built in 1939, which is one of my listings received a renewal of the 5 year Certificate of Inspection, COI, for 70 passengers. I am impressed for a 74 year old yacht.
The yacht was taken over by the US Navy in 1941 and used for coastal patrol during WWII. It was kept by the US Government until 1965 and was used in conjunction with Sequoia the presidential yacht, to entertain foreign dignitaries and other guests of the taxpayers. There must be a lot of grandfather clauses in effect for this yacht!

Attachments

• Innisfail Trumpy starboard.jpg
    Innisfail Trumpy starboard.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 168
There must be a lot of grandfather clauses in effect for this yacht!

You bet .

The best deal I have heard of was in NY harbor to allow old sailboats like the NINA operate for a lunch ride trade, with over 6pax..

Their papers limited the boats operation to be IN SIGHT of the CG station !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom