Prepping the Bilge for Paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hey All,
My bilge looks like crap.
Dirt and Oil are currently covering most of it in the engine room.
Any ideas on products that I can use to clean it up (easiliy) so that paint will stick to it?
Thanks for the thoughts.
Steve

I've used Simple Green to clean up dirty, oily things like engines and such, and I used it to clean our anchor locker prior to painting (which was dirty but not oily). But you have to make sure to get the soapy residue off completely. I've found it to be pretty effective when the oil gunk residue was not too heavy. There are all sorts of bilge-cleaning products on the market, however, so I'm sure there are a fair number that actually work. You might try a Google search with something like "bilge cleaner reviews" or the like.

Simple green does great , BUT to remove it either TSP or Spick & Span will be required .

The TSP (if hard to find in your area its the ingrediant in most dishwasher powders) will etch the surface a bit , helping the paint to stick.

Will Dawn dish soap do the job?

Dish soap will work but the problem is it will not get the real ground in grease and oil. Additionally it leaves a soap film that is hard to remove and will interfere with adhesion of the paint. If you use an oil base paint use mineral spirits to clean up, if it is water based, which is what we use, then a detergent based degreaser and lots of rinsing is what you will need. Chuck

The best thing I have found is TSP. Thats what I used rinse it good several times then painted with a quality Alkyd oil based enamel.* T.S.P, Tri sodium phosphate. Take care, the stuff is toxic. Gloves and eye protection.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 29th of December 2009 12:26:20 PM

TSP is a corrosive so you really need to be careful around metal parts like floats, pumps and the engine. A splash or over-spray on wiring harnesses can be a problem if it is not completely removed. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Tuesday 29th of December 2009 02:25:41 PM

I have used simple green greeased lightning and purple power and a combination off all three and painted on top of it with interlux bilge coat with no problem

Back
Top Bottom