Big Nordhavn Faces Certain Doom!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry old china that's been around and on here for years.( well since the Tsunami)
But yes it is an interesting vid of a guy in a tight spot.

Benn

Got the hair on my neck standing up. Good job skip.

I definitely would have made a extra head visit after that. A very close call. Looked like his prop might have been eating some bottom dirt right there near the shore.

I'm hearing the Nordhavn in the video was "Audrie's Dream". Twin Detroit 60 series mains. I'll bet that extra power came in handy!! :eek:

Look at that engine room fuel management system. . . Beautiful!!!!

LB

Attachments

• Audrey's Dream.jpg
    Audrey's Dream.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 340
  • audrey 1.jpg
    audrey 1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 281
  • audrey 2.jpg
    audrey 2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
When I first noticed this thread title I thought something was happening on the N120 delivery. The videos on the delivery page are pretty impressive.

I agree
I'm a computer guy and love the glass cockpits. One of the downsides to all glass is if and when it fails. I'm a firm believer in having some basic gauges either analog or digital, for the critical systems right there where you can see them at a glance.

The problem I see with Nordhavn's system is it violates the KISS principle. Multiple systems hidden under various tabs and drop down menus on a single screen. Engine controls, fire control, bilge pump operations, flood control are on separate tabs requiring the skipper to jump from screen to screen to find information and maneuver the boat at the same time.

Mental overload, the inability to maintain situational awareness, is a real concern when piloting boats and planes. The complexity of the system only compounds the difficulty for humans to respond to a system failure or stressful situation. A high level of multitasking coupled with multiple inputs can push the limits of human performance to where poor decisions are made or no decisions are made at all.
LB

I agree
I'm a computer guy and love the glass cockpits. One of the downsides to all glass is if and when it fails. I'm a firm believer in having some basic gauges either analog or digital, for the critical systems right there where you can see them at a glance.

The problem I see with Nordhavn's system is it violates the KISS principle. Multiple systems hidden under various tabs and drop down menus on a single screen. Engine controls, fire control, bilge pump operations, flood control are on separate tabs requiring the skipper to jump from screen to screen to find information and maneuver the boat at the same time.

Mental overload, the inability to maintain situational awareness, is a real concern when piloting boats and planes. The complexity of the system only compounds the difficulty for humans to respond to a system failure or stressful situation. A high level of multitasking coupled with multiple inputs can push the limits of human performance to where poor decisions are made or no decisions are made at all.
LB
:iagree:

The interesting point to me on the video is that Dana Point is PAE's (Nordhavn's) home port. You would think the Captain would know the local conditions better.

The interesting point to me on the video is that Dana Point is PAE's (Nordhavn's) home port. You would think the Captain would know the local conditions better.

That was when the Tsunami wave hit Dana Point. I don't think anyone knew what the local conditions would be.

The problem I see with Nordhavn's system is it violates the KISS principle. Multiple systems hidden under various tabs and drop down menus on a single screen......

Keep in mind that what you see is not Nordhavn's system, but rather the owner's system. Many Nordhavns are outfitted with individual gauges and controls as you describe. It's totally up to the buyer/owner to set it up however they prefer.

I'm pretty sure that's a Boening system on the N120, and I've seen them on a number of other newly built Nordhavns. Maretron is another alternative at a lower price point, and probably with less capability, but I'm not sure since I really only know the Maretron system.

I'm pretty sure that's a Boening system on the N120, and I've seen them on a number of other newly built Nordhavns. Maretron is another alternative at a lower price point, and probably with less capability, but I'm not sure since I really only know the Maretron system.

For those who wish to order one. :socool:

The Glass Bridge is manufactured by Palladium Technologies and marketed under the product name of "Simon."

LB

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom