View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Next-Gen 5.5Kw Generator

Hi Eric. I'm afraid I don't know who Sentor is. I do tend to think that the people who build mega-yachts probably do a hell of a lot of research to determine the best components of their customer's boats. So there's no point duplicating what they've already done.

I've been associated with a yacht that had two NL gensets. The yacht was all-electric and at lest one of the gensets was running 24/7. Since their installation in the early 90s they'd been trouble free outside of routine servicing and maintenance. But you're right, I have not had any direct, long-term personal experience with them.

So if the day comes when we have to replace the Onan with a NL, I don't feel that the decision will be based on people that haven't done any research on gensets. On the contrary, I feel that the people I will be basing my decision on will have done more research than the average recreational boater because a) their clients have had the money to pay them to look into however many generators they want, b) they have had experience with a range of generators, and c) the nature of their business gives them the time to do the research, even to the point of visiting the manufacturers in person. I'm not going to do any better than that on my own.

That's not to say somebody tomorrow won't come out with a generator better than NL. But if they do, the trades will be full of positive reports about it, and I'll have something else to look at in the event we need to replace the generator.

I trust you had a great Christmas.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote