Aluminum propane tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dach side

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
36' sabreline fast trawler
I just found out that aluminum propane tanks don't have an expiration date. I have an original tank from my 1989 sabre trawler; I had it inspected and filled for $17.50!

If you take that empty original 1989 tank into a propane tank exchange store (i.e. Blue Rhino) they'll exchange it for a current OPD valve tank filled with propane for about $20.

I just found out that aluminum propane tanks don't have an expiration date. I have an original tank from my 1989 sabre trawler; I had it inspected and filled for $17.50!

Have a source for that info..I have searched but have not seen any specific difference in cert requirements for aluminum.

What I have seen...All DOT tanks...12 years, then recert and visual inspections at 5 year intervals...not sure about 5 year intervals whether just one then another recert...my sources not clear.

Flyweight: I don't think blue rhino will replace a 20 lb aluminum tank for $20.

Flyweight: I don't think blue rhino will replace a 20 lb aluminum tank for $20.

If you're talking about a standard 20 Lb propane bottle like this

img_174039_0_caeb3cca33c417e7a5e6d6c349d10789.jpg

that is often used on propane grills and many boats, just bring in the empty and leave with a full bottle. I do it all the time in my neighborhood.

I replaced both of my boat's old propane bottles like this (with the old valve style) with new OPD style tanks for about $20 each. The price varies by location. I've seen some charge $18.99 and others $23.99. It costs slightly more than just refilling a tank, but you get a newer tank with a current standard fitting in the deal.

Here's a link to their website. You can text them with your zip code to find the closest outlet. http://www.bluerhino.com/BRWEB/Tank-Exchange/We-re-Not-Just-Propane.aspx

Last edited:
For a cruiser the ability to swop a tank almost anywhere is grand.

A BBQ tank is the way to go with the least hassle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom