Reco for waste hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I'm pretty sure our waste hose is shot. I have been smelling waste tank for a while now. Most of our waste hose to the tank is solid pvc so we only have about 6' of flex. I would like to use the best brand of hose out there. Can you all point me to a good brand/model number of a quality hose?

Thanks!
Tom-

I seem to never use "the best" or even marine sometimes....like the solid PVC pipe with minimal hose so I don't remember what's best...

But I'm sure if you search "head mistress" you'll find it pretty quick and either her recommendation or someone else you trust probably has mentioned a comparison among the best.

Trident 101 or 102 (White) are excellent.
Raritan Sani-Flex is much more flexible and can be easier to install than the Trident. Both Trident and Raritan are guaranteed for 5 years from smelling.

I can just imagine the discussion between an owner and a sales guy at a retailer that will take the hose warranty...

It starts with..."stinks...here you smell it...":eek:

psneeld, My dad was a real character. People would bring marine toilets with problems into our store . I don't know how many times I watched him fix toilets right on the sales counter! He loved fixing pumps of all types. A smelly hose wouldn't both him a bit. Don't worry, we don't have that counter anymore.

Seriously, when a hose starts to smell after a few years, it's an indication that you are not flushing long enough. Your sewage hoses will last a long time if only clean water is left in them.

Trident 101 or 102.

Another vote for Trident 101/102

Marty

Tom, your hose may very well be shot and you can replace it with some suggestions mentioned but I thought I would add a thought for consideration. We also thought our hoses were shot earlier this year and were ready to replace them and during a pump out the attendant alertly recognized that when he thought the tank was empty his vacuum did not drop. He asked me if I had checked the tank vent lately and of course I say no! Upon inspection I found that our lovely mud hornets had built a beautiful little nest under the vent hood plugging it completely. When we flushed we were pressurizing the tank and the gases would leak back into the toilet and create a foul odour. The back pressure even caused one hose to leak slightly at a clamp and further add to the odour. Soooooo likely is your hose but you may want to check your vent while your at it. Just thinkin!!

The proper hose has to be Teflon lined, if not the sewage makes pin holes in regular hose. Keeps the extra funky smells from escaping through the lining of the hose. Forget what I paid per foot, but remember it being quite expensive!

Alan, Thanks for that tip. I'm aware that hornets can block vents but I always thought about it making it hard to withdraw from a tank. The idea that it can cause sewage gas to back up into the toilet is new to me. Obvious now that you point it out.

Ok... So we basically have three options... Trident 101 at about $7.50/ft., Raritan at $11.80/ft.(both with 5-year warranties), and Shields at over $16.00/ft.(lifetime warranty). I only need about 4 or 5 feet, but the Shields only comes in 12' lengths from JD. I kinda tilt to the mid-grade, but I would like to feel the three side-by-side and judge based on my own observations. I haven't checked at WM to see of they have any of them in stock. Hmmmm

Do you just use PVC glue to attach this to PVC fittings? OR... Do I need to refit the end of PVC hose with a barbed hose fitting and use band clamps?

Here is an old pic of my bilge (pre-project) that shows the piece that needs replacing and the PVC fittings on each end:

P1000959 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom