A25 fuel pump issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
It seems my '76 A25 (MD17C) has an electric and a mechanical fuel pump, and the mechanical one is leaking fuel. I imagine the only cure is to replace the pump. Does anyone know whether or where these might be available?

Why not just bypass the mechanical pump?

Bob

Why not just bypass the mechanical pump?

Bob

Mechanic at our first stop recommended just that. Mechanic at our current marina holds the strong view that there are 2 pumps for a reason and disputes the wisdom of bypassing one. So I am thrust upon the horns of a dilemma . . . I suspect it will come down to how much a replacement will cost.

Does anyone have experience with bypassing the mech pump, or are aware of discussions on this issue?

What's an A25, gas or diesel? We had a Perkins diesel on our sailboat and it ran with only an electric pump. There was a place to mount a mechanical pump but it was totally inaccessible so I don't think it had ever been installed and used the electric pump instead.

Bob

It seems my '76 A25 (MD17C) has an electric and a mechanical fuel pump, and the mechanical one is leaking fuel. I imagine the only cure is to replace the pump. Does anyone know whether or where these might be available?

According to Volvo, the original pump has been replaced by a newer pump and hose. Here is a link to the Parts Bulletin.
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/V...02 V01 New Fuel Pump as Spare Part.pdf

It looks like the latest pump is still available in Europe. I would suspect the same would be true in the USA. Here is a link to the pump from MarinePartsEurope.
Volvo Penta Fuel pump (21134777) - MarinePartsEurope.com

I would try Volvo Penta USA or your local Volvo Penta dealer and see if they can get the parts.

If you decide to convert to an electric fuel pump, you might look at the Facet Duralift series of pumps. They are commercial duty pumps and very reliable. Your original feed pump is rated at 9.25-12.1 p.s.i. at 2520 rpm, so be sure to select one of the proper pressure. You should also fabricate a block-off plate and remove the old pump.

Here is a link to the Volvo Penta service manual for specs.
http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/VolvoMD11C_D_17C_D.pdf

Good luck,

Larry
m/v Boomarang

Good info Larry. Thanks. I'll check out those leads.

My marina has located the replacement pump and wants to install it. They located the pump after I sent them a copy of the bulletin linked by LarryM above. I wonder whether any other A25 owner, past or present, has dealt with this issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom